Unveil - A New Effect

Aug 31, 2007
What I think this effect lacks is motivation. Why are the cards rising out? Why does the card turn red? You get the idea. You should have some sort of reasoning behind the effect.
For instance, I had a conversation with John Lovick about packet tricks. He was talking about how so many packet tricks have too many "wow factor" endings and the effect is ruined. Something along the lines of: "And all the cards changed to jacks, AND all the backs are different, and now they switch to aces, and the are all blank! AND the vegetable you're thinking of is a carrot!"
Now, that isn't to say that you can't have more than one big impact, a lot of routines are better with multiple wow endings, take David Stone's Wine bottle production(and then shoe production) for example. You do however need to justify them to some extent, which is ALL in the presentation.

My 2 cents ;)

~Zach

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I agree with Zach's "wow" statement. This routine has too much happening in my opinion without a single one being the... dominant one. Each has almost an equal amount of "wow".
I also agree with Hankin's comment. Never meant to discourage you into creating and designing a trick. I haven't been able to create anything that is actually original. Keep it up and take out the editing.
and to SirFansAlot, "It doesn't have to be the "best" trick out there to be workable." If it does not seem like the best trick of that concept, then why would anyone want to buy it? Hugh is attempting to market this trick, but if there are better versions out there, then where is the utility from purchasing this product when there is an obvious oppurtunity cost?

Dec 5, 2008
I like the idea behind the effect its just that you dont show the back of the box that bugs me you said it can be done with

-Borrowed Deck
-Borrowed Cards

And that the BOX and cards are inspecitible so may i suggest you do another demo video but do it how you would to a spectator because thats who we as magician perform for and that should be our priority. We need to know if this effect you are marketing is in fact practicle to perform on a daily basis. Also you never said if it was gimmicked or not so we wouldnt know. thats just my 2cents

Keep up the good work

- DF

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
What I think this effect lacks is motivation. Why are the cards rising out? Why does the card turn red? You get the idea. You should have some sort of reasoning behind the effect.

~Zach

thats the magicians job.
Not the creator of the effect.
Though some tricks,not even a magician that is performance savvy can salvage. But this is not one of them

Sep 1, 2007
For instance, I had a conversation with John Lovick about packet tricks. He was talking about how so many packet tricks have too many "wow factor" endings and the effect is ruined. Something along the lines of: "And all the cards changed to jacks, AND all the backs are different, and now they switch to aces, and the are all blank! AND the vegetable you're thinking of is a carrot!"
Now, that isn't to say that you can't have more than one big impact, a lot of routines are better with multiple wow endings, take David Stone's Wine bottle production(and then shoe production) for example. You do however need to justify them to some extent, which is ALL in the presentation.

My 2 cents

~Zach

Good point Zach. I think it would serve EVERYONE here to read Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic. He talks about this EXACT issue in his chapter about kicker effects.

If it doesnt add to the effect, it takes away from it.

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned BoxBack (Tomo Maeda) found in 5x5 Japan. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZG9B9E8gtI At about 3 minutes in) This seems like its essentially attempting to be that.. but more convoluded.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,
Lucas

Jan 8, 2010
Hi Hugh Vernon here. I juz Wana say that I have further improved the trick with another gimmick and will very soon upload the vid. Please gimme some time I'm just a 16 years old still studying. And nope I'm not trying to imitate any other effects out there even if it look so it was not intent. I would once agn like to thk all that have contributed to this post. All the comments I will look into it!
Stay tuned!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results