Username Change

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Well we already know that most people here already either respect me or hate my guts, so I don't see it making a difference. But mostly, I just don't want my clients googling my name and finding this place among the search results.

And to some extent I don't want the previously mentioned "hate my guts" crowd to have an easier time finding me and keying my car.

I totally agree, of course I'm not that dumb and whenever I need to send a email to either Aaron fisher or some friend, I sign it with my real name.(for reasons explained above)

But that's actually it, we have avatars on internet for security reasons, and as steerpike pointed, I wouldn't like people to google my name so that they could find 700+ results on my geek forum daily chores.

I am against the thought of having your "real name on a internet forum" as a rule of thumb to be "professional", If I ever make a site about me or whatever then I will use my real name, but for a internet forum full of strangers? You can call me RD. Or Chopper. Or RDChooper (yes people have writen it that way).

By the way, Zack has a cool sounding name for a magician.

:p

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I totally agree, of course I'm not that dumb and whenever I need to send a email to either Aaron fisher or some friend, I sign it with my real name.(for reasons explained above)

But that's actually it, we have avatars on internet for security reasons, and as steerpike pointed, I wouldn't like people to google my name so that they could find 700+ results on my geek forum daily chores.

I am against the thought of having your "real name on a internet forum" as a rule of thumb to be "professional", If I ever make a site about me or whatever then I will use my real name, but for a internet forum full of strangers? You can call me RD. Or Chopper. Or RDChooper (yes people have writen it that way).

By the way, Zack has a cool sounding name for a magician.

:p

Ok...I think you are right...Raul Dominguez jejeje

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
And I can assure you I'm not the only one. Do any of you think Steve Forte would come to the phone if his wife said, "Honey, magicman123 is on the phone for you."? Give me a break.

I believe in your point, but I also believe that you are overestimating us.

Outside the forums we rarely speak using our avatars, anyone that has speaked with me outside the forums knows my real name, and rarely I have seen someone that doesn't wants to give his.

I leave my avatar where it belongs. In the forums. And yet you are giving for a fact that we carry it everywhere. Come on.

usernames are just user names for some forum. its not like we r puttin our usernames on our bussiness cards. i personally use my name because its just easy to remember, and i was never good at user names.
sometimes i use dstprock because of my band and its the aim screen name. but when ever i talk to someone i say my name is chris.
i feel that user names, expecially for a stupid (stupid that its just an online forum that we one day will leave and probably forget about) forum isnt a big deal.
and i agree with RD about searching up on the internet.
if someone searches up chris wiehl looking for my magic stuff they wont find anything on t11. they'll prly find movies or work done by some other actor named christopher wiehl.
either way i feel that changing a user name because its not professional kinda takes out the point of username, and not real name. but w/e doesnt matter.

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I believe in your point, but I also believe that you are overestimating us.

Outside the forums we rarely speak using our avatars, anyone that has speaked with me outside the forums knows my real name, and rarely I have seen someone that doesn't wants to give his.

I leave my avatar where it belongs. In the forums. And yet you are giving for a fact that we carry it everywhere. Come on.

If that's all you took away from my advice, then I am indeed "overestimating" you.

Jason

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
Lol everytime I see this thread I think it's a thread for a new colour change.

I'm totally coming up with a new change and calling it "The Username Change". Haha

Lloyd.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
This is a really interesting idea Jason. I have used jtmorris as my name in every forum that I post in because I want people to know that it is the same person, and that I am not trying to hide who I am. jtmorris came from my assigned university email address, and I’ve always used it, but I will have to consider if I need to put my full first name up. Thanks for the thoughts.

Dec 18, 2009
This is a really interesting idea Jason. I have used jtmorris as my name in every forum that I post in because I want people to know that it is the same person, and that I am not trying to hide who I am. jtmorris came from my assigned university email address, and I’ve always used it, but I will have to consider if I need to put my full first name up. Thanks for the thoughts.

Hey JT you changed your username! Congrats. :p

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Another thought I had was that a lot of young people are told by their parents and schools to not use their real names on things like internet forums because of online predators. So for a lot of young people, it may not be that they are not trying to be take seriously, but that they are protecting their identity (as they likely should).

Not sure what do you all think?

Mar 29, 2008
Alright, I jumped on board - I have asked Jon to change my name from Morgician to Morgan B...now everyone will find me more professionl, I can't wait to write it in my diary! I think it allows me the kind of protection against stalkers, while still allowing Jason to not judge me for having fun with our nicknames...and the circle of life continues.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
So I guess I going to change my username to seem professional to everybody. Just kinda. Why do I want to change my username to sound professional? Just because I have my full name on my username doesn't means I professional. Its the way you act and how mature you are. I like my username because thats my nickname. My whole family calls me Nino. Once in awhile they call me Adrian, but most of the time is Nino.

Not to be rude but it seems that everybody changing their username so they can fit in into that "I'm professional thing" But whatever floats your boat.

Just my thoughts.

Sep 3, 2007
I was fookensoul before. A moderator at E said people were complaining about the "fook" like it could have been a "bad word". So, I changed it to Sir Fansalot. I still like fookensoul better.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results