Visual Reset

There is no need for patter when everything is seen on the screen.
All the moves are justified, he takes a card and changes it. He finds the cards while shuffling, whats not justified?
Some tricks are plain confusing without patter. Best example: Jazz Aces, this trick falls in this category, in my opinion.

Putting a card on the deck just like that is not justified, without a reason it simply says "Yeah, I switched it, the other card is somewhere in the deck", which, adding to the already present heat on the deck, isn't what you want.

But then, thats usually done with patter lines and body language and choreography, both not seen here.

I still think the deck being in play is a big downside.

Sep 1, 2007
Its a trade off - you get to see all four original cards in position at the beginning, you get to see all four change, and then all four reset. Yes, using the deck is a big downside, but consider the appearance of the final phase to a layman - the four cards that they've just seen change instantly and apparantly without using the deck - the finding of the aces in the deck afterwards serving almost as a proving phase - look, they were here all along.

So is it worth using the deck? It makes for some very nice "eye candy" - very "visual" - but I often think that this is mostly for the entertainment of the magician rather than the audience. Magic happens in people's minds - "visual" isn't as important as some magicians seem to think. If your small packet technique is good enough to convince an audience that the two packets are seperate at the beginning of reset, then there is no NEED to be able to show all the cards at various stages in the routine.

Given this argument, adding in the deck is too big a trade off for very little gain, which is why I stick with my favourite reset handling, which is essentially Greg Wilson's "Reset with a Hook". I just put up the Zenneth video because the OP wanted a visual reset and well, it is undeniably that. Its worth noting though that Zenneth is a great card technician, a real world worker and if you take the time to look at some of his other videos you'll find that the reset handling isn't typical of the kind of magic he does.

Cheers,
David.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Hey it's not the best Reset, i would say the best one is Bebel's. Zenneth is still a fantastic magician and "The other cheek of the Moster" was one trick that fooled the hell out of me and i loved it.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Honestly who thinks that much of theirself at a young age? Id expect guys like Jennings and Lorayne and Vernon to be called "purists" if anyone. But some teenager? Give me a break.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
I'd image being a real purist would actually mean knowing a hell of a lot about magic and making informed decisions with that knowledge about how you want to approach your magic aka "being a purist" or you can just give yourself that title to be cool

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results