Wannabe Magician on the Loose

Jun 1, 2009
There have been other threads on this exact same topic, look through for those and see what other kind of advice has been given. There is going to be a point where all the advice you're gonna get is going to be the same thing just stated in a different way. Take what's been given to you (or leave it) and do what you will. As others have said, it's JUST high school, not at the venue you are performing at on a regular basis, if that was the case THEN we would have a real problem.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
I don't mean to be rude, But, maybe it is JUST high school, but the people coming out of these high schools are the future audiences (maybe even magicians) so if everyone knows how the tricks are done and are no longer entertained by magic then where does that leave us?

Feb 7, 2011
I don't mean to be rude, But, maybe it is JUST high school, but the people coming out of these high schools are the future audiences (maybe even magicians) so if everyone knows how the tricks are done and are no longer entertained by magic then where does that leave us?

Nope.

This IS in fact just a school problem. Much the same as what happens everyday in every school in the world, someone finds out a secret they're not supposed to tell and spreads it like wildfire. 99% of those people whose secrets were revealed are suffering alot worse than you are bro. Your secrets aren't personal.

Again, a schoolyard problem, not a magic one. Move on.

Mar 10, 2011
Just my 2 cents: if you wanted to show your a**, report him to Ellusionist about the gimmick issue, and they'll most likely bar his card or pursue some kind of legal action (I mean, that's just flat out stealing!). Ellusionist is one of the largest magic sites next to penguin and T11, so his abilities will be greatly hindered and it might just send him the "we don't take crap" message he needs.

I would totally do it...

Sep 1, 2007
Simple, ignoring the problem wont solve it. The OP want to learn how to handle the situation and ask for advice, I think it's show some maturity. You don't know how old he/she is, so do I, but I don't think ignoring the problem will solve it.

I've seen this situation before. Ignoring it has a pretty good track record of working. What, did you think I just pulled this out of my ass?

And what the hell does his age have to do with this? Why are you bringing this up? What did you hope to accomplish by doing so? Why are you wasting my time?

So how did you survive that massive stroke you had when the Masked Magician was still on TV? At least, I'm guessing you had one. If this is your apocalyptic vision of one adolescent attention whore, I can only imagine that seeing the Masked Magician must have given you a near-death experience.

Perspective, please. If you people perform as often as you claim, then you should know by now that these wankers are not a threat to us.

It's just high school bs. You are investing too much time and effort into it. Once you graduate you'll probably never see him again, also it's high school. Your classmates ate still young and immature. Just ignore him.

Feb 7, 2011
While it may be somewhat frustrating to see this kind of discussion on a magic forum, and they might be accurate descriptions, lets try to keep the language civil. Im no moderator but I like that the forum isn't covered in profanities.

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
i couldnt agree more
the thing that i like on the theory11forums the most is that they are thought provoking and the people are (mostly) repectful to each other
i think the message is clear
leave him alone and he will stop doing what hes doing

Jul 2, 2011
Californiaaa
I understand this issue appears to be just some sort of "high school drama."
But many people take interest in magic during or before their high school years, eventually growing up to become successful and/or influential magicians. This can be seen in the list of Wire artists.
And let's say we have people in high schools who have the potential to become the most creative minds in the field of magic or cardistry. They might develop a distaste for the entire magic community if all they see are kids like the one I've mentioned on the original post, performing poorly and revealing the simple methods behind amazing effects.
Everyone deserves to see magic done well, because that's how performances arts are meant to be done.
I just want to know if I should tell him to stop, or convince him to work harder and practice more.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I understand this issue appears to be just some sort of "high school drama."
But many people take interest in magic during or before their high school years, eventually growing up to become successful and/or influential magicians. This can be seen in the list of Wire artists.
And let's say we have people in high schools who have the potential to become the most creative minds in the field of magic or cardistry. They might develop a distaste for the entire magic community if all they see are kids like the one I've mentioned on the original post, performing poorly and revealing the simple methods behind amazing effects.
Everyone deserves to see magic done well, because that's how performances arts are meant to be done.
I just want to know if I should tell him to stop, or convince him to work harder and practice more.

Your reading too much into this, its your youth and high school mindset.
As said before, this guy just got into this magic business because he saw someone else do it. He is making "mistakes" and if he is interested in doing so he will learn on his own what not to do. or he will simply lose interest and everyone will forget within a week or two's time what it is that he ever revealed.
As i said before, if you want offer him your two cents but its his business.
Do you meddle in someones art work when someone is learning how to paint?
How about in someones first short film? do you steer him into your direction because the way you do it is the "correct" way?
Mike hankins gave you an example of himself. he used to be that kid. he learned.
Let the kid be, focus on your schoolwork and whatever magic you perform at your school.

Jul 2, 2011
Californiaaa
Your reading too much into this, its your youth and high school mindset.
As said before, this guy just got into this magic business because he saw someone else do it. He is making "mistakes" and if he is interested in doing so he will learn on his own what not to do. or he will simply lose interest and everyone will forget within a week or two's time what it is that he ever revealed.
As i said before, if you want offer him your two cents but its his business.
Do you meddle in someones art work when someone is learning how to paint?
How about in someones first short film? do you steer him into your direction because the way you do it is the "correct" way?
Mike hankins gave you an example of himself. he used to be that kid. he learned.
Let the kid be, focus on your schoolwork and whatever magic you perform at your school.

...Alright, sounds good.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
So how did you survive that massive stroke you had when the Masked Magician was still on TV? At least, I'm guessing you had one. If this is your apocalyptic vision of one adolescent attention whore, I can only imagine that seeing the Masked Magician must have given you a near-death experience.

Dude, grow up. I was simply adding another perspective on the situation. Maybe it won't have any effect, but you have no idea how many kids are revealing the secrets do you? nope! How would you feel if you were losing money because ONE person bought your effect and then told everyone how it was done for free?

And for the record, I never watched the masked magician.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
I've seen this situation before. Ignoring it has a pretty good track record of working. What, did you think I just pulled this out of my ass?

And what the hell does his age have to do with this? Why are you bringing this up? What did you hope to accomplish by doing so? Why are you wasting my time?

Perspective, please. If you people perform as often as you claim, then you should know by now that these wankers are not a threat to us.

Dude, grow up. I was simply adding another perspective on the situation. Maybe it won't have any effect, but you have no idea how many kids are revealing the secrets do you? nope! How would you feel if you were losing money because ONE person bought your effect and then told everyone how it was done for free? And there is no need for the bad language on here is there?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Dude, grow up. I was simply adding another perspective on the situation. Maybe it won't have any effect, but you have no idea how many kids are revealing the secrets do you? nope! How would you feel if you were losing money because ONE person bought your effect and then told everyone how it was done for free? And there is no need for the bad language on here is there?

and that ONE person told the entire country?
He was using the masked magician as an example. If your soo scared that ONE kid at ONE high school reveals a trick you think the entire world knows( or cares) that "holy crap! I know how magic works!!"
I perform coin in bottle. The masked magician revealed coin in bottle on national TV!!!
You know how many times someone came up to me and said they know how I do it?

It never happened.

With everything that goes on in peoples lives you assume they will remember exactly what the gimmick and execution of a trick works like. Just because you're adding another perspective on the situation doesn't mean your perspective is rational.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
and that ONE person told the entire country?
He was using the masked magician as an example. If your soo scared that ONE kid at ONE high school reveals a trick you think the entire world knows( or cares) that "holy crap! I know how magic works!!"
I perform coin in bottle. The masked magician revealed coin in bottle on national TV!!!
You know how many times someone came up to me and said they know how I do it?

It never happened.

With everything that goes on in peoples lives you assume they will remember exactly what the gimmick and execution of a trick works like. Just because you're adding another perspective on the situation doesn't mean your perspective is rational.

Like I said, whether it was right or wrong, I was just adding another perspective to look at things.

Sep 1, 2007
Dude, grow up. I was simply adding another perspective on the situation.

Your perspective was irrational, sensationalist and uninformed. Don't cry when I say so. If you can't handle your opinions being criticized, don't voice them in the first place.

Maybe it won't have any effect, but you have no idea how many kids are revealing the secrets do you? nope!

Okay, first of all it definitely won't have any effect because this sort of thing has been resolving itself for years without your help. Second, what's your point?

How would you feel if you were losing money because ONE person bought your effect and then told everyone how it was done for free?

Okay, I like to think I'm a pretty creative guy, but I don't think even I have that much imagination to picture that as an actual, plausible reality.

And there is no need for the bad language on here is there?

Did the bad man on the internet hurt your feelings?

Here's your cookie. Come back when you actually get the point.

James555

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
Australia
Let's all just calm down a little okay?
I don't see why we should all get into arguments over some person we all don't know

Look take my advice... Ignore and overcome, it doesn't really matter. He'll just be seen as the guys who reveals tricks and is boring and you'll be seen as the performer who is great and doesn't reveal any tricks and people have a sense of awe when they see you perform.

and that, should be the end of it.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Let's all just calm down a little okay?
I don't see why we should all get into arguments over some person we all don't know

How come everytime someone tries to have a serious discussion or debate we are told that we shouldn't?
People shouldn't have to tone down their opinions just because we might need a hug because someone hurt their feelings.
Some discussion are important and should be heated.
It's better than posts about what deck everyone is using or how many laundry lists of tricks someone should buy.

James555

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
Australia
How come everytime someone tries to have a serious discussion or debate we are told that we shouldn't?
People shouldn't have to tone down their opinions just because we might need a hug because someone hurt their feelings.
Some discussion are important and should be heated.
It's better than posts about what deck everyone is using or how many laundry lists of tricks someone should buy.

I understand, but I just felt that this was going to heat up a little too much you know?
And it is an interesting topic, I agree
But let me tell you this, I'm not telling anybody to tone down, everybody has a right to voice opinions, nobody needs a hug around here and don't accuse me of being soft, I'm just trying to prevent a full blown arguement here, is that ok?

As regards to the decks post you are aware that I posted that? And you replied to it, if you think it's boring stay out.
I'm not telling people not to talk, I do have in mind that I was trying to settle the school issue and I'm letting you have your debate.

Cheers, no harm meant

Sep 1, 2007
But let me tell you this, I'm not telling anybody to tone down, everybody has a right to voice opinions, nobody needs a hug around here

Then I should be able to say that just because someone is adding a new perspective, doesn't mean that perspective has any merit.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results