Way for a new Magician to Make Money?

byu

Jul 1, 2009
USA
I'm trying to save up to buy the Skywalker levitation.

My only trouble is, I don't have a job.
I'm 12, and I'm new to magic. I can do several magic tricks, and they impress many people.

I want to get a job in magic, because my parents say "Money you make from magic can go to magic."

So, do any of you have suggestions on where to start? Should I just go out into a major city, sit down on a street with a bucket that says "DONATIONS" and start performing tricks?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Heh, don't start busking on the street - you need a licence to do that!

Hmm. It takes money to make money. You need to get an arsenal of effects. Skip the Skywalker levitation for now and head to your local library and get every single book you can find on magic.
Learn form there first and then ask for some books from your parents for your birthday and Christmas etc.
Find some places to volunteer to do some walk around stuff to perfect your performance for strangers and perhaps hit the streets a bit. You could also look for a local magic club in your area.

Hope that helps some!

Justin

well, i would talk to a local library or summer program of sorts. libraries sometimes host programs for the children there. do a show. if you are good enough and entertainging enough, then the parents may want to hire you for a show.
start there.
or u could always mow lawns

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Best thing for you to do would be to join your local IBM ring / club. That was the best move in magic I ever made. I've learned more in one year of being a club member than I did in 8 years trying to do things on my own.

If your parents are against that, I would start buying books. More bang for you buck. Don't just go buy the biggest and next best thing you can afford. That will only appease you for a few weeks and then you will want something else.

Listen to Chris. If you think you're good enough to perform, go to your local library or church and ask if they would mind letting you do a "free" kids show. This will let you test the waters and see how you measure up.

I would skip the busking thing for now and just do what others have said on here. Mow yards, wash cars, etc. to come up with some money. Remember, books from the library are free. They may not have the newest and best up to date magic books but I bet they have some older ones that have some gems in them.

I'm 12, and I'm new to magic. I can do several magic tricks, and they impress many people.

I want to get a job in magic, because my parents say "Money you make from magic can go to magic."

So, do any of you have suggestions on where to start? Should I just go out into a major city, sit down on a street with a bucket that says "DONATIONS" and start performing tricks?

I know how tempting it is to levitate for people. It's one of those effects that people remember. However it's for the marks. Don't be a mark. There is SO much more effective reputation making effects you can perform at your age and financial situation than doing a levitation. I can almost promise you with 100% certainty that if you were to purchase this effect you'd be pissed and sorry you did it within about 10 minutes.

Take your time, put in the effort to master slight of hand, audience control, close up, parlor, or stage before you advance to grand illusions. I think buying this effect based on what little you've told me is a huge mistake for you.

Cheers,
Draven

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
The phrases "new magician" and "make money" do not go together... at least when you're talking about making money through magic. I've been practicing and performing for around 5 years, and I still haven't made a dime from performing. And I'm fine with that... I would rather be more than ready when the time comes for me to start making money from magic. Do some chores, mow some yards... make money the way most kids do, and reinvest that in magic. Buy mostly books... you'll get more bang for your buck that way. Spend the next few years... yes years, not months... practicing and making sure that you are absolutely ready to get paid for performing. If you start trying to make it as a semi-pro magician before you're ready, you're bad reputation will spread like a nasty rash, and you won't ever make money from magic again in that area.

So don't worry about making money yet... working on perfecting not only what you have and will get technically, but focus just as much, if not more than, on your presentation. No matter what kind of magic you do, perform for family and friends/do some free shows, and really refine your shows. Make them as close to perfect as they can possibly get. Post live performances online for fellow magicians to critique.

Good luck, my friend!

jr?

Apr 3, 2009
leeds and halifax
www.jrmagic.co.uk
1 i wood say work out who you like to be with in your magic . act in a way so you get seen but they do not no you, then when you have work out your act with in you magic . read about things to do in that art. like me i have put me in place to test me and i did some for free as well ... with me i love the past and now . you might say i bean in time or in a room to work out who i am. right it time just look at your past and see what you love when you was a kid and y you love the tv show... if it time for you to hit the road work who you like to do magic to ... bec i am a uk man and bec i love magic and the past just like dr who they all no his neme but each time we see him we all lean some new about him and his past and now. so get what you can then see a need and + some new to the world of magic. do some jobs for free. the go in to magic world just to get your face or name with in this fab world. the get lost so they will start asking about you and they do all the work for you to be see. it might be bad to use then. but the will see how good you was with in the magic world. so soon my face and my name will be seen . ps go to places wher you might be see . and have lot of book about the world so you no what to say. be who you are be some new to look up with magic.. if you like to ask me things what i like about some things about magic just let me no by email magicman@jrmagic.co.uk

M

Mystifier1

I personally dont think the skywalker is worth it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results