What do you do?

Hey guys.

so there are these people that ask me to do like at least ten tricks a day, but i'm running out of tricks to do...

what do you do in these kind of situations? because i don't want to stop doing magic for them, but i just need to figure out what to do. so any help is apreciated!

thanks.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
you dont need to stop doing magic for them.
just show them less.
you dont have to follow what people tell you.
just show them one good one and walk off. itll still make them happy.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Don't stop, but do perform less. Make it something to look forward to, something worthwhile that people are gonna wanna see more of, but just perform less. Remember you're not in a circus, and you're not a trained monkey - you're in charge of your magic.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Honestly, it's not that hard to improvise tricks. I usually do a trick where a card's selected, controlled, i do a DL, do a pirouette, and show it has changed into their card.

You can do a couple more one hand flourishes to reveal the change. They will look completely different tricks to the spectators. Also, you can put the card into their hands and do a bit of acting and show it's their card.

Be creative. You wont believe how many tricks you can milk from just a couple moves.

Start out by eating a bit, then when they ask show them a trick. after every trick stop to eat vveeeeeeeerry slooooooooooowly
It'll annoy the hell out of them, but it should be fun to watch them squirm.

Thanks carter.... true words of wisdom right there... i think your brain just aligned for seven seconds, or well for however long it took you to write this. :)

No but seriously, this is a good idea. i should of thought of it, but i think i just wen even more stupid in those seven seconds :)

Cheers

Nothing wrong with expanding you're repotire .. Why do you limit yourself to ten effects only?

I know the saying of mastering few tricks and so forth. But keep in mind 2 things:
1) You have to improve, learn new stuff, create new stuff, create new acts. If anything, mastery doesn't come from constant practice, but at constantly stretching your abilities to the limits ( this is a saying in chess, you could apply it to performance and skill aspect of magic ). In other words, Mastery is a journey, not a destination. ( I feel wise lol )
2) Nothing wrong with adding more effects once you feel you got the ones in your repotire down.

I read a story about Michael Skinner who entertained for 3 hours in the Magic Castle once, when power got cut ( or something along these lines ). He had a VERY large reportire. Wesley James said in the cafe he has 350 effects under his belt. On other hand, other pros have 10 only. This comes from their experience performing lots of effects and by process of elimination, you automatically came down to 10 effects. In other words, its an automatic process that comes down after having performing alot of magic in years, not a process of limitation. Do what you see fit you best. ( this is a brief explanation of the often misunderstood David Devant saying of him approached by a magician who does 80 effects, David responds he does 8 only )

also, consider doing acts. Walkaround acts usually are 10 minutes, with opener, middles and ending. You could have a unified theme, but since you're starting out it would help to get a group of effects together you do well and perform them in a link, just to get the feel of performing routines.

To praetoritevong, I love you man ( magically :p ) love your posts, agree with most of em if not all, but your advice to perform less is very, very inferior. While it has some merit of the magician being overwhelmed by the audience, but some audience love our magic and ask for this, THIS IS THE TIME we have the chance to pull off our BEST performances, since you will enjoy yourself as well. Stopping the performance can be daunting for me, the performer, and them. Having a good repotire is key. Of course, the magician would need to keep himself in control, this is essential, but if they ask for more, you could DO more and STILL be in control. This is my point.

Cheers,
( sorry for misspelling Repotire throughout my post, dunno the correct spelling for it ... Not even with my spell-checker )

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 19, 2008
u just need to know the basic sleights. also you can do some of the effects u first started out with. chances r people have probably forgotten them:D

Nothing wrong with expanding you're repotire .. Why do you limit yourself to ten effects only?

I know the saying of mastering few tricks and so forth. But keep in mind 2 things:
1) You have to improve, learn new stuff, create new stuff, create new acts. If anything, mastery doesn't come from constant practice, but at constantly stretching your abilities to the limits ( this is a saying in chess, you could apply it to performance and skill aspect of magic ). In other words, Mastery is a journey, not a destination. ( I feel wise lol )
2) Nothing wrong with adding more effects once you feel you got the ones in your repotire down.

I read a story about Michael Skinner who entertained for 3 hours in the Magic Castle once, when power got cut ( or something along these lines ). He had a VERY large reportire. Wesley James said in the cafe he has 350 effects under his belt. On other hand, other pros have 10 only. This comes from their experience performing lots of effects and by process of elimination, you automatically came down to 10 effects. In other words, its an automatic process that comes down after having performing alot of magic in years, not a process of limitation. Do what you see fit you best. ( this is a brief explanation of the often misunderstood David Devant saying of him approached by a magician who does 80 effects, David responds he does 8 only )

also, consider doing acts. Walkaround acts usually are 10 minutes, with opener, middles and ending. You could have a unified theme, but since you're starting out it would help to get a group of effects together you do well and perform them in a link, just to get the feel of performing routines.

To praetoritevong, I love you man ( magically :p ) love your posts, agree with most of em if not all, but your advice to perform less is very, very inferior. While it has some merit of the magician being overwhelmed by the audience, but some audience love our magic and ask for this, THIS IS THE TIME we have the chance to pull off our BEST performances, since you will enjoy yourself as well. Stopping the performance can be daunting for me, the performer, and them. Having a good repotire is key. Of course, the magician would need to keep himself in control, this is essential, but if they ask for more, you could DO more and STILL be in control. This is my point.

Cheers,
( sorry for misspelling Repotire throughout my post, dunno the correct spelling for it ... Not even with my spell-checker )

i have a HUGE number of tricks in my repitoire. i do at least ten new ones a day for them. lol. but it's starting to calm down. i hope

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

I love you magically too Medifro.

I definitely understand where you're coming from and you have a very good point. I guess I should elaborate and emphasise that, as you said - it's about control, what I was trying to get at - control, and also authority. Absolutely, if the audience want more, if you'd like, it's a great time to give them more, but similarly, I think at the same time, in some of those instances it's better simply to leave it as is and leave them wanting more. Obviously, to do this requires some thinking - certainly don't just stop and pack up and run away... But if you establish your authority as a magician that shouldn't be a problem either - since for obvious logistical reasons you can't just keep going into that 11th trick every time someone asks for it.

I love you magically too Medifro.

I definitely understand where you're coming from and you have a very good point. I guess I should elaborate and emphasise that, as you said - it's about control, what I was trying to get at - control, and also authority. Absolutely, if the audience want more, if you'd like, it's a great time to give them more, but similarly, I think at the same time, in some of those instances it's better simply to leave it as is and leave them wanting more. Obviously, to do this requires some thinking - certainly don't just stop and pack up and run away... But if you establish your authority as a magician that shouldn't be a problem either - since for obvious logistical reasons you can't just keep going into that 11th trick every time someone asks for it.
100000% agree.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results