What Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I have logged into the forums, and now that I'm back, I'm pretty dissapointed that there isn't a single half decent thread in the forums, I'm scrolling right on the third page and all I see is advertisement for new tricks, silly questions like "what do you think about jay sankey" and things of the like.

The only thing worth seeing are some of the performances that some users here have posted. Only that.

What happened? I didn't expect the forums to be in this shape. I expected at least 2 or 3 threads discussing something interesting or something regarding magic performance or theory. I'm on my fourth page now and still nothing.

How sad. Could somebody point me in the right direction to a good ol' thread?

Who cares. Honestly, if you don't enjoy the topic of the forum then don't be around during discussions or make an effort to try to contribute. It's not up to all of the other members to make threads that suit your taste.

Sep 1, 2007
Who cares. Honestly, if you don't enjoy the topic of the forum then don't be around during discussions or make an effort to try to contribute. It's not up to all of the other members to make threads that suit your taste.

Should it be up to people like me then to carry your weight?

Sep 1, 2007
You are arguing with kids. You have to realize that will get you nowhere! Be proactive! Write a good thread if all the other ones suck!

Will anybody read it? Will any real discussion come of it? Last time I started a thread, I mostly got people agreeing with me. No one played devil's advocate. No one asked me to elaborate on a point or expound on an argument. It quietly slipped off the first page and into oblivion.

While people should be encouraged to haul their own weight, I think the, "Write a good thread yourself!" mantra is being used as a way to avoid taking any responsibility personally.

You say it is not up to others to make threads to suit another's taste. Yet that seems to be what is expected of people like me.

Yes it seems so, I am not asking you to pour out your deepest most inner thoughts into a thread. I enjoy reading yours and some of the other members here that contribute to the the site more so than others, and I am not asking you all to uphold the site with your threads while others sit pretty reading them without contribution. I think that the people that are constantly on the forums should be needless to say giving more to the threads without pinning the task on select people.

Sep 3, 2007
While people should be encouraged to haul their own weight, I think the, "Write a good thread yourself!" mantra is being used as a way to avoid taking any responsibility personally.

I was thinking about posting a new thread lately. But, you are right. There is no reason to.

Sep 1, 2007
I think that the people that are constantly on the forums should be needless to say giving more to the threads without pinning the task on select people.

I'm not even on that much anymore. I pop in once a month just to **** with people. I realized most people just sort of take it for granted that I'll post something big. Consequently, there are those who read what I have to say because they're interested, those that don't like me and avoid any thread I'm involved in like the plague, and those that hate my guts and post just to call me a mother****er. When it's gotten that routine, it's time for me to take a step back and let some other people carry the burden for a while.

I was thinking about posting a new thread lately. But, you are right. There is no reason to.

Now you're just being a brat.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Guys,

Going to go ahead and close this thread, as I don't quite see the intellectual value in talking about what to talk about. Simply put, this is a forum that is guided by and composed of each of you. We push for more interactive, artist involvement than any other site - with weekly events, podcasts, and discussions.

As a result, this is a large community with diversity within it. There are young magicians. Old magicians. New magicians. Experienced experts. As a side effect of that, not every forum thread will suit you. What may be invaluable advice for a beginner to read may be obvious to you. What may be exciting and intriguing to you may be boring to another. The only way to influence discussion is just that - to join in it.

Justice, the argument that there is not a wealth of information in these forums every single day - more than any other, I would argue - is completely mute and invalid. Just last night, Jason England chimed in with 25 posts (!!) answering some incredible questions across the board. Respect that opportunity - short of a private lesson, hearing advice and counsel from the best of the best is worth more than anything. Especially when it's free!

And with that, let's return to the magic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results