What is the point of Flourishing and Cuts?

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
Have you ever wondered what the point of flourishing really is?
I recently bought Beginners Xtreme by De'vo along with some decks, And I'm saying to myself.... "Why am I buying this"?
Who are we going to show this too? And what is the gain of learning all these awesome cuts and card flourishes, It is not so much like magic, entertaining and amazing. Flourishing isn't so much related to magic, I think of flourishing as either a skill or hobby like an I-Can-Do-This-You-Can't type of thing:p

Any thoughts?
Brian

Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yea i see flourishing as just a hobby and a very fun one at that :D. I dont think its money wasted at all, in my opinion anything that you find fun is money well spent. Life is too short to not use some of your hard earned cash on things that you enjoy. Its like video games, people play them for fun, infact some spend loads of money on them! In the end its just a hobby but people have fun doing it so thats why they do it. One more thing, if you become very good at it and become inventive and make new flourishes you could be the next De'vo or the next Dan/Dave, then it would be more then a hobby :D.

Aug 31, 2007
I dont like spam :p

Me neither.

And who says there is a purpose to flourishing? Not everything has to have a purpose.

For dan and dave, maybe, its purpose is monetary income (although it isn't, that's just an example).

For others, it is a way to kill time.

For others, it's a flashy addition to any trick.

Not everything has a purpose, and sometimes something's purpose depends on the person concerned.

Why do you do it?

"But they don't taste like apples."

Because you like doing it.

"We eat what we like."

That's a good enough reason enough for the existence, if a few months down the road you don't feel like doing it anymore, there goes another one of your forgotten hobbies that you might pick up in a few years when you get bored. There's potential though, in pure non-magical card manipulation performing though. Jerry Cestowski is a great example, and he consistently encourages and gives advice on his takes of real world performing.

For magic real world performing, use flourishes as spice as Jeff Mcbride put it. Do understand that "spice" never makes the meal, or you could look at it as, "spice" completes the meal.

Sep 1, 2007
the point of flourishing... uh "and cuts" (?)

the point is, to do something thats really badass and makes people go holy #$@$ that looks cool . including yourself.

Well, really the point of flourishing is to test your skill and limits in manipulating cards.

You could say it's showing off but, if you incorporate Flourishing into your performances and while doing that get their card to the top and retain the decks order, I think it has a use.

There's also many Productions and card reveals in flourishes. For example Molecule 2 Ace and Card Production. They make great "quick" tricks.

Sometimes it is more about "who can do this the quickest and smoothest out of everyone in the world." But, it does open up a whole genre of card working for people who are bored of practicing their DL and Shapeshifter all-day.

-RA69

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Flourishing is a hobby. It's for passing the time and having fun. Sure if you're lucky you could go pro but that's a very rare opportunity. It's mostly to have fun and pass time. Plus it gives your hands a workout. It's good if you play guitar because it strengthens your fingers a bit more...

Jan 4, 2008
Norfolk, Virginia
yup

i guess i would agree if its not a profession then it a hobby. Cards are just weird i never saw all this crazy card flourishing when i first started doing one charliers and then trying to find a new different way to make up my own one handed cut. to me there has always just been a draw to playing cards i just love them and doing things like this just makes me insanely happy and lets face it, chicks dig it yup they do trust me. its just fun and yes the "see what i can do" factor is there with it too because most people just never think of the crazy ***t you can do with these wonderful 54 cards.

i guess i would agree if its not a profession then it a hobby. Cards are just weird i never saw all this crazy card flourishing when i first started doing one charliers and then trying to find a new different way to make up my own one handed cut. to me there has always just been a draw to playing cards i just love them and doing things like this just makes me insanely happy and lets face it, chicks dig it yup they do trust me. its just fun and yes the "see what i can do" factor is there with it too because most people just never think of the crazy ***t you can do with these wonderful 54 cards.

Post that at superhandz and see what happens.:D

Aug 31, 2007
Money
Fame
Women
Creativity
Performances
Video editing knowledge
Image editing knowledge
Spectators reactions
Finger exercise
Time passing

-Lang

Sep 1, 2007
California
Well if you think about it "What is the point of magic?"

To entertain.

Flourishes are great because they help you be creative. I have seen some really bad "My own new Cut" type of thing on youtube but atleast they are trying, and if they stick with magic it might help them be more creative with magic.

It also improves your dexterity.

Plus it helps me concentrate, Flourishes and music of course:p

The reason I do flourishes is to entertain myself and others. I just did a quick performance at school. I was just messing around trying to kill time and a few people gathered around to watch. They loved it. That reminded me why I do flourishes. In fact, I do flourishes more than magic.

Sep 2, 2007
The point of Flourishing, Cardistry, XCM, et al., for me, is to enhance my magic.

Instead of using the pass to control cards within the pack, you can use flourishes, such as False Sybil. Similarly, shuffling the deck can be replaced by the Molecule Four Cut, or the like.

As stated in The Cardistry FAQ, both Cardistry and Magic can be polymerized to enhance each art form.

Cheers,
JTM

Dec 12, 2007
Flourishing.

Who or What, set the definition for it? No one ever really set a definition for doing so. For lovers of collecting rare stamps, they go all out for rare stamps. For us (people whom flourish), may thinks that those stamps are just paper that pays for the sending of letter. and did anyone thought of getting anything out of stamp collecting?

As for me, I thought that flourishing may just be my childhood hobby or even something that I will consider doing when I grow up. Hobby is just a word thats too general to discribe flourish. It may be someone's passion or whatsoever. Maybe spending money on DVDs or materials seems wasting money. However, ever thought of why are you doing so?

We humans like challenges. Therefore, we always seeks chances to improve ourselves then we compare ourselves with someone of the same interest. Even trival matters can be in Guinness World Record.

So why, think that flourishing is just ANOTHER hobby when you spend your time doing it as you're breathing? (to a certain extent)

If you're reading this post and still thinks that flourishing is stupid, tell me.. Why did you even pick up this "hobby", and why did you bother spending money on flourishing materials?

The bottom line is that.. We, as humans, just cant help but to improve and sad to say, CHALLENGE.

_Stuart, Czaras

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results