What Makes a Good Tutorial?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I'm in the process of making my first tutorial for The Wire and I've run into an issue:

I'm not sure what is the best way to explain how to perform a flourish.

The idea so far is to make an in-depth verbal tutorial having the video shot over the shoulder.

I understand that everyone has different learning styles--but it also helps if the material is taught effectively and, like anyone teaching, I want to teach with the most effective way possible.

If it helps; I only have access to an IPhone 6 and Windows Live Movie Maker.

Nov 9, 2013
I would do a verbal explanation (if you are into that) from an OTS view. Also, I think that slo-mos and performances from varying angles aids in the learning process of a flourish. With this, no intense editing skills are needed.

TaylorF

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
What jtra says is a major part of it. Also, good video quality is, for me, a must have. I don't mind non-HD formats (I know a lot of people don't have super-expensive DSLRs), so long as the framerate isn't something super slow and looks like a laggy .gif. Smooth video and OTS with a verbal explanation of tips that help you learn the move better. Some southpaws like to have a mirrored tutorial as well, but I not one, so I can't speak for them.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Thank you for the suggestions! I will troubleshoot and see which parts need to be shown from different angles.

I'm going to have to mess around with Windows Live Movie Maker and see if I can 'flip' the video for lefties. Not sure if this will work or just look lazy. Either that or actually do the flourish in the left hand and teach it there.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
If you include background music, make it very soft and instumental. I don't believe it is necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

All right! Thank you. It seems like music is sort of a 'break even': doesn't enhance the experience much, but it can certainly hurt if you're not careful with your selection

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results