What to practice

Mar 8, 2011
Hey guys!

So I am new to this forum and kinda new to card tricks. So with that being said, does any one know the basics of card magic? What I mean is like a double lift and classic pass, what moves are essentials to card magic? I know most of it, but I would like to practice them for a couple hours a day...Also, some good street magic tricks that I would be able to master in a couple weeks or so. Thanks!!!

Apr 25, 2010
It would be wise to know a few things..

A solid double lift.
A force.
A control.

but more importantly learn about the angles for anything you are doing and learn crowd control.. With those things you should be pretty set. The rest comes with experience. If I missed anything I am sorry.. that is all I could think of haha.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Okay let me name a few for you ... some have been mentioned above.

So basically learn, to start with:

-One card force
-One card control
-A smooth double lift
-A false cut/shuffle
-A few solid card tricks (don't learn a million plz, pick a few and master them :))
-Classic color change is always handy (For free here at T11 if i'm not mistaken)

When you got most of them smoothed out, go out and enjoy ...

wElcome to T11

Aug 14, 2010
Master the push off double lift and the invisible pass. Those 2 techniques for me is the most important of all.

Dec 11, 2010
California
This was posted by Geoffrey Weber on TheMagicCafe
I take no credit in making this, All credits goes to Geoffrey.

Geoff Weber said:
This is just one man's opinion. If you are going to tackle the beast that is card magic, it helps to know which skills are the ones you are going to need time and time again, that way you know what to focus your time and energy on during your practice sessions.

Basic Handling Skills:
You want to appear at least as competent with a deck of cards as anyone you might sit down to play cards with.
Deal. This includes knowing the proper dealer grip. Practice being able to just deal cards around the table without any hiccups. As you improve, you can try to get fancy and sail the cards like a Vegas dealer, so they still go to the corrects spots around the table without accidentally flipping over.
Shuffle. Learn classic waterfall shuffle with a bridge as well as an overhand shuffle. This should be clean and neat, without cards falling out of alignment.

Basic Sleight of Hand:
Card Force. You really only need one, although it is sometimes useful to have an alternative method when performing multiple times for the same individual. The easiest is the cross-cut force. The hardest (but cleanest) is the classic force. I think the best compromise between difficulty and fairness is the Hofzinser cull force.
Getting/holding a break.
Double Lift/Double Turn-over. There are many fancy ways to do this. Beginners should avoid all such fanciness and stick to the basic method. Practice making this look the same as the action of turning over a card normally.

(With these two sleights you can perform literally thousands of tricks.)

Flourishes:
To appear like a magician and not a fool with a pack of cards, you must inject some elegance into your handling.
Thumb fan. Being able to form a perfect fan and then close it up is a must.

Control:

Double Undercut. There are many ways to control a card, but none are within the grasp of a beginner as much as this move. It may not look the "fairest" but it is well worth the trade off. Forget the pass, the side steal. Just learn this for starters.

Counts:
Elmsley Count. Hands down, the most useful false count.

More Flourishes:
Dribble the cards
Ribbon Spread
Charlier Cut. (One handed cut.)

False Shuffle:
Slop Shuffle. I would say of all the false shuffles, this is easiest one for maintaining the full deck in order. If you only need to maintain a small section of cards in order, than I would just use a genuine overhand shuffle, not touching the stacked cards.
...more to come later.

(There are many principles of magic you should also be aware of, but I would not categorize them as "skills". Things like key-cards, crimps, stacks...)

Hope it helps

Jun 10, 2010
Card College 1 - everything in there.

Depending on your skill level and natural ability with cards, I might suggest picking up Card College 2. In most cases, however, CC1 is fine for a while.

Welcome to t11.

Mar 11, 2011
I would say pick up a copy of "The Royal Road to Card magic"! Great book with all of the basics you need. However, most of it you won't master in a few weeks like you had said you wanted to...But it is worth every second of practice you will put into every fundamental.

Before you go off and start practicing double lifts and passes, make sure you can just handle cards normally and not look like you terrified of dropping them all the time. Practice the following, and many sleights will come easily:

Overhand shuffle
Riffle shuffle (both on the table and in the hands (standing) without fumbling)
Kick Cut
Riffling the cards, dribbling the cards.
Fanning/spreading the cards (in the 'pick a card style')
Spreading the cards on the table.

When I say learn these, I mean REALLy learn them. Most people can sort of shuffle and cut, but not to a 'professional level' (whatever that means). You could do a really bad shuffle and then a dodgy DL and nobody would be impressed and it would look clumsy. But do a smooth riffle shuffle and a swift kick cut, then perform a self working key card trick and you will look like you have way more skill even though the trick itself uses less sleights. Being able to handle cards smoothly and make it LOOK LIKE you have great handling skill is part of the performance (unless you're Lennart Green, which nobody is...).

I do find it odd that most people recommend learning a force, control, DL etc before anything else. Sure, they are VERY important moves, but you see so many people on YouTube who have obviously taken this advice and tried to the learn a DL or a jog shuffle before even learning to hold a pack comfortably, and it just looks awful.

I agree with what someone above suggested. Get 'Royal Road to Card Magic' and work through it. It actually teaches the basics of handling before moving on to any sleights. Plus, it's really cheap.

Card College Vol 1 has most of the same stuff in, though I know this only through hear say as I don't actually own it (Yeah yeah, I know, 15 years in magic and I don't own Card College. I'm ashamed and ordering it now.... I really am....)

Anyway, good luck on your journey through card magic. Remember to practice lots, perform for real people and, above all, don't take it too seriously.

Rev

Apr 25, 2010
Before you go off and start practicing double lifts and passes, make sure you can just handle cards normally and not look like you terrified of dropping them all the time. Practice the following, and many sleights will come easily:

Overhand shuffle
Riffle shuffle (both on the table and in the hands (standing) without fumbling)
Kick Cut
Riffling the cards, dribbling the cards.
Fanning/spreading the cards (in the 'pick a card style')
Spreading the cards on the table.

When I say learn these, I mean REALLy learn them. Most people can sort of shuffle and cut, but not to a 'professional level' (whatever that means). You could do a really bad shuffle and then a dodgy DL and nobody would be impressed and it would look clumsy. But do a smooth riffle shuffle and a swift kick cut, then perform a self working key card trick and you will look like you have way more skill even though the trick itself uses less sleights. Being able to handle cards smoothly and make it LOOK LIKE you have great handling skill is part of the performance (unless you're Lennart Green, which nobody is...).

I do find it odd that most people recommend learning a force, control, DL etc before anything else. Sure, they are VERY important moves, but you see so many people on YouTube who have obviously taken this advice and tried to the learn a DL or a jog shuffle before even learning to hold a pack comfortably, and it just looks awful.

I agree with what someone above suggested. Get 'Royal Road to Card Magic' and work through it. It actually teaches the basics of handling before moving on to any sleights. Plus, it's really cheap.

Card College Vol 1 has most of the same stuff in, though I know this only through hear say as I don't actually own it (Yeah yeah, I know, 15 years in magic and I don't own Card College. I'm ashamed and ordering it now.... I really am....)

Anyway, good luck on your journey through card magic. Remember to practice lots, perform for real people and, above all, don't take it too seriously.

Rev

I guess it's because we all forget that starting from ground zero literally means starting from nothing haha. I can remember I couldn't handle a deck at all.. Everytime I ask a spectator to shuffle I always chuckle because I used to be in there position.. That is a very valid point sir.

Apr 11, 2011
Learn self working card tricks. anything that is simple. it will increase your self confident before you try to kick them with knucle busting sleight of hand technique. in most card magic..where you start with "pick a card any card" there are two basic thing that you should master...card control and revelation. as time flows, you will learn other effect that is different than pick a card plot. such as torn and restore and linking cards. 95% card magic relies on your mechanic grip.
You should work on that.
[video=youtube;QuhuS5oqePo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuhuS5oqePo[/video]

Feb 4, 2008
Learn self working card tricks. anything that is simple. it will increase your self confident before you try to kick them with knucle busting sleight of hand technique. in most card magic..where you start with "pick a card any card" there are two basic thing that you should master...card control and revelation. as time flows, you will learn other effect that is different than pick a card plot. such as torn and restore and linking cards. 95% card magic relies on your mechanic grip.
You should work on that.
[video=youtube;QuhuS5oqePo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuhuS5oqePo[/video]

I don't agree with you entirely though you have some valid points. I think beginners could get stuck in a rut if they start off with self workers too soon. Once you have some powerful false shuffles and cuts then stacked styled self workers can be devistating. But I still think some basics should be covered first. Most of those have already been mentioned.

I did want to add that I loved the linking card effect. Very creative!

Apr 11, 2011
yes...I've been there...The linking cards? thank you ...it's not mine..I remember some friends teach me that trick. when I was a little kid. I think it's jay sankey's idea that paul harris put in his book AOA vol 2 ^^

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results