What trick should I buy?

Dec 23, 2010
I'm buying a couple tricks from T11 so, and i have enough money to buy one more. The two tricks im debating myself over is the be king change by Tony Chang or Detach by Rick Lax? What would be the best for a 13 yr old magician? BTW, Does detach only require one balloon or is there another balloon in Rick Lax's hand? If so, I will buy Detach.

Mar 22, 2009
Phoenix
www.wix.com
the best trick would be............no trick

Go buy a book. You could pick up incredible books written by legends for half the price of any trick on the market today. At your age, try to learn stuff that known one else is. AKA look into books.

Oct 22, 2011
California
I second the motion to buy a book. In the long run books will do you more good than a bunch of downloads on your computer. It's something I actually regret doing as a neophyte magician so definitely hit up Royal Road or Expert Card Technique. Jason England has a free download in the magic tricks section about what books to buy from beginner to expert. It's good to be a book worm!

Well here's the deal. If you have no interest in actually studying magic and are looking for one or two cool things to do to amaze friends and family (And let me say that there is nothing wrong with that!) then Detach is certainly a nice trick that will get that job done.

If you actually want to learn magic and become a better magician than that one or two random trick guy we all know from parties and family reunions then I would recommend investing that money into Mark Wilson's Course in Magic, or Royal Road, or Card College, or even Tarbell. The information in any one of those books will serve you far longer and better than any one shot DVD or download.

Just my two cents.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Get one of those talking books, I think people are calling them "DVD's".

But seriously, I think either a book or DVD is a better investment than a single trick. Tony Chang's work is great but it's highly unlikely that you'll ever perform it to people. I think Detach would be a good trick for someone your age though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
the best trick would be............no trick

Go buy a book. You could pick up incredible books written by legends for half the price of any trick on the market today. At your age, try to learn stuff that known one else is. AKA look into books.

From Your Lips to God's Ears! as my granny used to say This is pure wisdom, pure truth, and how one actually learns how to do Magic vs. "tricks".

Given your age and likely allotment of free cash on which you can spend on magic, Books are the best course of venture especially if you don't have the Mark Wilson Course, Magic & Showmanship by Henning Nelms, Bob on Coins and at least a half dozen other BEGINNER'S books you actually NEED if you want to learn how to do Magic.

What do you know about Slight-of-Hand? What books have you studied on this topic alone?

Royal Road to Card Magic will give you a taste of what's involved with playing cards while Bobo will do the same for you when it comes to coins, but what about Thimbles, Billiard Balls, Silks, Rope and even Cigarettes (think on this; if you can manipulate cigarettes you can likewise control a pen or pencil with ease).

When you learn to work with ALL of these things you will start filling the shoes you claim to wear right now -- the idea of being a "Magician". You're little more than a sorcerer's apprentice at this point (unless of course, you live a charmed and fortunate life. . . it happens. If that were the case however, you'd not be asking this kind of question. Your handlers would tell you what you will learn. . . and then some).

Buy the tricks if you really think that's all your worth, but buy the books if you really want to go much further in life and more so, further in the world of magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results