What would you consider as "creepy" magic?

Nov 4, 2010
Hey all, I've started this thread so that I can get people's opinions about what they would consider as creepy magic, or a creepy, spine- shivering effect. In my opinion, I think that effects such as Rizer and Smoke are creepy effects. The thought of something appearing or happening out of nowhere scares the s#@t out of me!

So, what effects would you consider as spine- tingling or "creepy"?

Thanks all

Demagix.

Rizer? Smoke? ...creepy? Hmm I can't say I agree. I'd say the Web, The Haunted Key, From Hell, Death Toll, The Witches of Glastonbury, Luna, just to name a few fit the bill better.

Why are you looking for creepy though?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
For magic to be creepy to me, I'd almost have to be in a dark basement, candle lit room with a small group of people sitting on the concrete floor and someone performing seance type effects or something of that nature. Maybe using old props that look like family heirlooms...

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Ok, you don't need any blood, ghosties, bugs, etc. to creep people out and btw... it's not the trick but rather the affect YOU have on your audience; give the right spiel and their mind will do the rest. On the other hand you can have the best, bloodiest buzz saw illusion ever made and no one will believe anything about it because YOU stink as a showman.

Bizarre/Macabre Magick has been a huge part of what I do and have done since the later 1970s and it has far more to do with what you allude to than it does anything else. That's not say that you don't want "Special Effects" that help punctuate the psychological set-up you spin with your words & staging, only that you need to work from the foundation of what makes something Bizarre or Creepy or Gross or simply Mystical and Enchanting -- obviously, you need to understand what those things are in order to reach them as a goal as well as knowing how to manipulate the emotions and ideomotor reactions in people as you weave each presentational web.

If you believe yourself a Bizarre Entertainer because you dress in dark clothing, wear eyeliner and have blood smeared on a few playing cards or a big needle to jam through your arm. . . YOU AREN'T! Like Goth, Steampunk, etc. it's a frame of mind that goes much further than tricks.

If this is the stuff you like I'd recommend finding a copy of Jim Magus' Arcana of Bizarre Magick so as to better define things in your head (not to mention, there's some neat routine ideas in there).

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
I can't say Smoke or Rizer are creepy effects. Nothing about either of those effects is creepy to me, unless you PRESENT it right. It's all about the presentation and less about the sleight-of-hand.

Dav

Jun 28, 2011
England
I am from england and derren brown (english magician) does ALOT of sceance and creepy stuff, there is one episode where he walks some volunteres through a derilict 19th century mental asylum, carrying only a handheld torch and sits them down in one of the cells just to show them a couple of tricks/really creepy magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results