What's a good basic...

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
well at this site, probably a good beginner DVD would be like Witness, Panic, Distortion. I think the trilogy would be too hard. But that's your decision.

At other websites, Kaos by Daniel Garcia, or Indecent by Wayne Houchin.
There are many effects that are great out there. I also reccomend Stigmata also by Wayne Houchin. There are 3 different versions, one of them is the effect with cards.

Nov 14, 2008
Taiwan
www.wretch.cc
Card magic :

Oz Pearlman - Born To Perform Card Magic , Watch Magic , Blindsided

Brad Christian - Crash Course 2 , Ninja

and somtthing from Michael Ammar and Dai vernon :p

Aaron Fisher - Panic

Dan Hauss - RIOT

Daniel Garcia - Torn

Cardistry :

De'vo - Xtreme Beginnerz 1

Brian Tudor - Show Off Vol. 1,2

Dan & Dave Buck - System

Daniel Madison - Dangerous - Motion

Mattgic and MaXim - The CODE

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
I found a good starting DVD would be the Ultra Gaff DVD's, they teach a lot of basic Sleight of Hand very well, and a couple flourishy moves.[But not specific flourishes.

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Born to Perform by Oz pearlman at penguinmagic would be a good starting point. Also, the crash course one and two by brad christian at ellusionist.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey mate,
If you're totally new to magic, Royal Road to Card Magic or the Card College series are simply the best way to start - there is no comparison with anything else. Yes, they're books, but please understand, the majority of the best material is in books. Don't be fooled by all the ads and new material coming out. The best is in print. As far as DVDs go, Born to Perform and Easy to Master Miracles are the way to go.

For cardistry, The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes is the best way to go. Otherwise, get Xtreme Beginnerz.

Aug 24, 2008
There >
I've used Brad Christian's "Crash Course 2" it was great and pretty helpful. "Ninja" also comes in mind.

But I've heard that Oz Pearlman's "Born to Perform Magic" is one of the best for beginners.

Don't buy DVDs with single effects, at least not yet anyway.
I'd definitely start with Card College, or Brad Christian's Crash Course 1.
Can't go much better than them,
also you're allowed to complain about Brad Christian, it's kind of a ritual here.

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
What about the Xtreme Beginnerz (2 DVD Set). Is that a good basic?

TH11 recommend it self but is there anyone who has experience whit this DVD?

Apr 28, 2008
What about the Xtreme Beginnerz (2 DVD Set). Is that a good basic?

TH11 recommend it self but is there anyone who has experience whit this DVD?

XB is a great DVD for starting with flourishes but teaches no magic.

For card magic look into Royal road to card magic and Card college.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
It depends on how much you would like to spend on "getting started"

But if i were going to get started in magic today i would get Royal road to card magic and Oz Pearlmans born to performe card magic with both of them you have all the sleights needed to performe magic for atleast acouple of years and you will also learn some good effects and flourishes.

when your just starting out, STAY AWAY from single effect dvds, its just to expensive to buy and you can get a book with like 50 effects in it for the same price.

Oct 13, 2008
Crash Courses 1 and 2, and Ninja 1 (2 if you feel it's absolutely necessary, I don't feel like it is). Crash 1 and 2 have some great utilities in them, and Ninja 1 teaches the pass, which is easily worth the entire purchase.

As for texts, pick up Erdnase's Expert at the Card Table. You probably won't be able to get into the really advanced stuff like false deals right away, but the stock-retaining shuffles are worth the $6 by themselves.

Godspeed.

Sun|Sky

Start with Card college 1, or Royal road to card magic. Although those are books they're still the best learning source for beginners.

For cardistry I suggest XB1 or the Encyclopedia of playing card flourishes.

Oh yeah, and someone mentioned the system (forgot who it was)...I would say that is FAR too hard for a week old flourisher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 14, 2008
Taiwan
www.wretch.cc
yap. "System" is a little hard for Cardistry beginner . but "parctice,practice,and

practice..."

and XB1 is the best choice for beginner who want to start Cardistry

"Totally Out Of Control" from Chris Kenner

"Paper Engine" from Aaron Fisher

are my favorite books in card magic

I think these books are awesome , maybe you can try these books :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results