What's this gimmick?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
My dad recently went to china, and he decided to buy some magic for me there. He brought back some gimmicks that the magic shop owner said "any good magician should recognize these gimmicks."

One was WOW, the other was an optic wallet. But there's one gimmick that has me stumped. It's a little reel like the ones used for keys and id cards. It can hook onto a belt loop. There's what looks like fishing line coming out of it, and there's a small magnet (covered with some plastic) on the end. It can be pulled out, but if you let go, the wire snaps back.

I've been fiddling around with this for hours and i still can't figure out what it's suppose to do. If anyone can PM me about what this is suppose to do, please do. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2008
Do whatever you want with it. There are those new sticky dots out on the market now. You can stick one of those to the end of it and use it to vanish not magnetic items and then the magnet will take care of magnetic items. You can also use it to cleanly switch in and out different things.

Mar 2, 2008
Every good magcian does not need gimmicks.

I mean c'mon you don't know a gimmick makes you a bad magicain?? I don't agree with that dealer.

Sounds like the raven.

Mar 2, 2008
Omg there's so many things wrong with what you just said. Gimmicks definitely does not make you a bad magician. If that were true, we wouldn't have any good magicians at all. In fact, you're saying that David Blaine, Dai Vernon, David Copperfield, Bill Malone, Michael Ammar, Daniel Madison, Vito Lupo, Kostya Kimlat, Steve Fearson, Bob Kohler, Dan Hauss, Aaron Fisher, Harry Lorayne, John Bannon, Jay Sankey, Richard Sanders, Derren Brown, Chris Kenner, Homer Liwag, Paul Harris, Bro Gilbert, Wayne Houchin, Daryl, Levent, Joshua Jay, Dan and Dave, Chad Nelson and every other professional magician out there are bad magicians. All of these magicians have used the invisible deck, a svengali deck, an expanded shell, or invisible thread some time in their career.

Gimmicks don't necessarily make you a bad magician. People who hate gimmicks think they are cheating and make our jobs easier. These are the same people who think that Dan and Dave tricks are the only tricks that are good. There are some tricks that are simply impossible without gimmicks. What you don't realize is that magic isn't about the tricks, it's about the audience. You have to do what the audience wants. And honestly, do you think that an audience would like Subway better that Extreme Burn?

Just my 2 cents

Re-read what i said, i said just because you DON'T know a gimmick makes you a bad magicains, so before wasting time typing understand what said.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results