Where's the entertainment?

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
I agree to some extent that XCM/Flourishing is not the greatest entertainment for a spectator, so I stick to Werms, ribbon spreads/turnovers, card springs/dribbles, and swing cuts, which all seem to impress, but not take away from the magic.

(i actually use the Werm as a false cut.)

Feb 22, 2008
An interesting thought, but that begs the question if that is the only way. Is it? Why or why not?

I'm not entirely sure I buy into that logic. Guitarist Michael Angelo can do things I can't, but I could never get into his music.

Why am I reminded of the Monty Python argument clinic sketch?

Kid, I'm on the side of everyone else here. If the questions I'm asking make you uncomfortable, too bad. They're supposed to.

If you can't haul yourself up by your intellectual boot straps and show the kind of effort into advancing the conversation that some others here have shown, then leave. You have nothing of value to add here.

To put it another way, I like manipulation as an entertainment and I ask these questions because they're necessary.

Now get lost. The adults are talking.

First off I'm not a kid, but I know plenty that are more mature then you are! You think you're smarter and more mature then anyone here, but all you can do is resort to insults when someone points out that your post is as "mastabatory" as what we do. However, now that you're getting off on people's comment's we'll have to charge you for the pleasure you're getting.
If you think people don't get what you're trying to do/say, your presentation is all wrong.(do you get it yet, or are you just thinking of yourself?whooooooosh) You're not as smart as you think you are if you haven't gotten your own point. The fact is most people aren't into performing for others, they just enjoy what they're doing. Why does that bother you?
See the insults are easy, now show me some real intelligence. Now you go away..whoooosh because he still won't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
See the insults are easy, now show me some real intelligence. Now you go away..whoooosh because he still won't get it.

You're trying way too hard.

What do you want me to say to you? All you did was attack me for asking a question that made you uncomfortable. So I called you out on it and told you to leave.

Notice how you're the only one here truly getting your frilly panties in a twist over this. Still, in the spirit of fairness, allow me to gleefully prove you wrong by intelligently (and laboriously it seems) explaining my point and motives.

As I said, you're the only one getting hostile over this. Everyone else has either said outright that they don't care because they do this for themselves and no one else, or they've actually tried to advance the conversation. The latter category get it. Sort of.

Almost everyone here is attempting to justify the art of flourishing itself. But justifying an art is utterly pointless and futile. I learned that several years ago when I got into arguments with people about the legitimacy of metal as a genre of music. I attempted to draw parallels to Classical music and jazz (which do exist, but don't necessarily help my argument), I tried to explain the virtuosity inherent to several subgenres (technical skill in metal is still very low compared to Classical virtuosos who concentrate exclusively on technique), and at one point I resorted to the "It just is" cop out. None of that worked.

I eventually came to understand that what I was trying to do was argue taste. In the history of debate, never has there been a more futile argument than arguing taste with another person. And that's what most of the thread here has been. Flourishers are trying to justify their art through arguments of taste, but that's not what I came here to argue. I already like the art, so they're only selling me on something I've already bought.

What it all comes down to is that many of the world's best manipulators and magicians have drawn a very clear parallel between their arts that is as true here as it is in any other artistic endeavor: connect with your audience.

This is something that has been largely glossed over. Trashman was the first one to get it, and it seems he's also the only one who understands it.

The mantra here is showing off, blowing people's minds with how much more dexterous you are than them, showing an incredible skill that nobody else can, yada, yada, yada. But I don't give money to people like that, and neither does anyone else I know. If you're being paid to perform, you have to entertain the audience and not simply you. If I want to see someone satisfy himself at the expense of everyone else, I'll watch politicians.

Trashman was the first and only person to point out that you could balance a birdy fan on someone's hand other than your own. Just as De'vo has been doing for years. Little things like that go a long way to helping an audience relate to you. Of course, I put this thread here as opposed to Handlordz or Decknique specifically because I thought more people here needed to start discussing the fundamentals. That was a rather arrogant judgment call on my part, but I don't really regret it. Anyway...

Bob Cassidy said the greatest tool to a mentalist is to stay connected. I've taken that advice to heart and consider it the single most important aspect of performance theory I've ever learned. It applies to you guys as well.

As I said, most of you couldn't give two sh*ts because you don't perform. Fine. But keep in mind then that this conversation was not aimed at you, and coming here to try and justify to me why what you do is still an art amounts to simply talking for the sake of it.

But those who really do perform need to be asking yourselves these sorts of questions.

With all that mind simons, I've been nice to you for long enough. You have nothing of value to add here and are just projecting onto me while acting worse than you accuse me of being. Go in peace and say no more.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Trashman was the first and only person to point out that you could balance a birdy fan on someone's hand other than your own. Just as De'vo has been doing for years. Little things like that go a long way to helping an audience relate to you. Of course, I put this thread here as opposed to Handlordz or Decknique specifically because I thought more people here needed to start discussing the fundamentals. That was a rather arrogant judgment call on my part, but I don't really regret it. Anyway...

Bob Cassidy said the greatest tool to a mentalist is to stay connected. I've taken that advice to heart and consider it the single most important aspect of performance theory I've ever learned. It applies to you guys as well.
I don't think having audience participation is the only way to establish a connection, although that is what you need to do no doubt. The majority of performing arts don't establish a physical connection. You don't play the instrument when you go to a concert yet you still are connected. When people pay to go to art museums, they know they are going to be looking at inanimate objects. It's just ink on a canvas yet people will still pay millions of dollars for personal art collections and admission to look at pieces of marble. If there wasn't a connection, they wouldn't pay for it. That type of connection is completely mental.

I don't think having audience participation is the only way to establish a connection, although that is what you need to do no doubt. The majority of performing arts don't establish a physical connection. You don't play the instrument when you go to a concert yet you still are connected. When people pay to go to art museums, they know they are going to be looking at inanimate objects. It's just ink on a canvas yet people will still pay millions of dollars for personal art collections and admission to look at pieces of marble. If there wasn't a connection, they wouldn't pay for it. That type of connection is completely mental.

So how do you get that connection?

May 16, 2008
Pittsburgh
You're trying way too hard.

What do you want me to say to you? All you did was attack me for asking a question that made you uncomfortable. So I called you out on it and told you to leave.

Notice how you're the only one here truly getting your frilly panties in a twist over this. Still, in the spirit of fairness, allow me to gleefully prove you wrong by intelligently (and laboriously it seems) explaining my point and motives.

As I said, you're the only one getting hostile over this. Everyone else has either said outright that they don't care because they do this for themselves and no one else, or they've actually tried to advance the conversation. The latter category get it. Sort of.

Almost everyone here is attempting to justify the art of flourishing itself. But justifying an art is utterly pointless and futile. I learned that several years ago when I got into arguments with people about the legitimacy of metal as a genre of music. I attempted to draw parallels to Classical music and jazz (which do exist, but don't necessarily help my argument), I tried to explain the virtuosity inherent to several subgenres (technical skill in metal is still very low compared to Classical virtuosos who concentrate exclusively on technique), and at one point I resorted to the "It just is" cop out. None of that worked.

I eventually came to understand that what I was trying to do was argue taste. In the history of debate, never has there been a more futile argument than arguing taste with another person. And that's what most of the thread here has been. Flourishers are trying to justify their art through arguments of taste, but that's not what I came here to argue. I already like the art, so they're only selling me on something I've already bought.

What it all comes down to is that many of the world's best manipulators and magicians have drawn a very clear parallel between their arts that is as true here as it is in any other artistic endeavor: connect with your audience.

This is something that has been largely glossed over. Trashman was the first one to get it, and it seems he's also the only one who understands it.

The mantra here is showing off, blowing people's minds with how much more dexterous you are than them, showing an incredible skill that nobody else can, yada, yada, yada. But I don't give money to people like that, and neither does anyone else I know. If you're being paid to perform, you have to entertain the audience and not simply you. If I want to see someone satisfy himself at the expense of everyone else, I'll watch politicians.

As I said, most of you couldn't give two sh*ts because you don't perform. Fine. But keep in mind then that this conversation was not aimed at you, and coming here to try and justify to me why what you do is still an art amounts to simply talking for the sake of it.

But those who really do perform need to be asking yourselves these sorts of questions.

With all that mind simons, I've been nice to you for long enough. You have nothing of value to add here and are just projecting onto me while acting worse than you accuse me of being. Go in peace and say no more.

This is what I was trying to point out. He does not want to bash flourishing, he's just creating a debate about how flourishing works with everyday people (***not people like us who see it every day***)

It's amazing how immature people get when they feel they're being offended. And why they get offended in the first place. You act like you're mother's being called out and you're protecting you're family's pride. Why not contribute to the argument rather than acting like little kids and putting people down.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results