Who Are You? Part II

Sep 1, 2007
Here is the second installment of my Who Are You? essays from the Ellusionist boards.

Who Are You? part I

Earlier this week we laid the groundwork for figuring out your identity as a performer. This grounding is essential to the process as the way humans learn is first through external manifestations of positive influence, and then internalizing it. For example, if you start to dress really nice and classy, you start to act the part over a given period of time. But it’s never so simple is it?

In the last article, we illustrated 5 essential points to starting out in building an identity.

1. Be you, but bigger.
2. Reverse engineer all goals.
3. Find your target audience(s).
4. Hang out with like-minded people so that you can create things valuable to them and you alike.
5. Expand your horizons.

Over the last few days, you should have been giving serious thoughts to these points. Now it’s time move on. Take the thought you’ve given to the last five points, and apply them to these next five.

1. Expand your interests into ambitions.

Everybody has passions. Everybody has hobbies. They make us more developed individuals and occupy our minds. But they shouldn’t be an aspect of your life that leads to neglect of other parts of yourself. The advice in this article is going to be in very general language, so while you apply it to magic, you can also just as easily apply it to the rest of your life and feel better overall.

The first thing you need to do is find a way that you can expand your existing hobbies into something more productive. Look into adjacent pursuits and see what crossover there is. Work with more people and start deciding where you’d like to go with this.

The important thing is to always enjoy it. Nothing is too geeky or out-there. You can always find a way to translate your passions into something productive. You will find unusual crossovers along the way, especially as you begin to think more and more creatively. You’ll soon learn that there are very few real boundaries as long as you keep an open mind.

A couple of magic examples that come to mind are Andrew Mayne and Docc Hilford. Andrew has said that he draws a lot of his inspiration from comic books and sci-fi. Consequently, he’s put out books and DVDs such as The Handbook of Superpowers, Shrinker, and Shock F/X. Docc is a fan of H.P. Lovecraft and translated that bit of horror art culture into one of his séance packages At the Mountains of Madness, named for the novella of the same name.

To start applying this, I want you to think of creative ways you can express your hobbies and passions. In this case, let’s keep it simple and see how you can do it through magic. Do you really love to cook? I’d love to see more magic about food. Have you always had an interest in psychology? The idea of a show that combines a lecture of the differing psychologies between men and women with dramatic demonstrations of mentalism using male and female volunteers sounds rather intriguing, wouldn’t you say? What about Dungeons & Dragons fans? I believe Ronnie James Dio (a.k.a. the coolest singer ever) once used stagecraft and illusion technology to fight a dragon in the middle of a concert. Food for thought…

2. Turn your ambitions into a product/service and market it.

Now that you’re thinking more about where you’d like to go with these hobbies, you should be producing things that are in demand by others. You’re still creating for yourself, yes, but you are also doing it for other people, even if they don’t necessarily share your passion.

If you’ve made it to this step, you should be meeting a couple of goals by now. Getting there is perhaps one of the hardest parts as it involves the most grueling work trying to get momentum. Cold calling, rejections, shotgun form letters, constant fishing for new work, scouring the trades… It’s going to be soul draining and painful, but the reward will be more than worth it.

The important thing is getting some credibility to your name. You want to work hard, deliver, and get those testimonials. Your efforts will be largely general at first because you can’t afford to be picky. When you’re looking to expand your work, you can join a networking group. When you’re starving, you cold call. That’s the simple truth, but I’m getting off on a tangent. The important thing is to get your name out there and get the momentum going.

You should also have a better idea by now of what you like doing in this field. Ironically, by focusing your work, you can actually expand your audience. People will take what you have to offer because you connect with them. You get a more consistent return on your efforts because people are interested in hearing from you and they will tell others about you.

To illustrate an off-beat example of this phenomenon in the real world, I’d like to present a story from Rick Maue. One year, he was attending a mentalists’ convention as a guest and lecturer. Originally, he was going to go to hear other people lecture, but at the last minute, several big names dropped off the roster, including Richard Osterlind. Rick knew the con organizer, who asked him to fill in for Osterlind with one of his own lectures. Rick agreed to do it as a favor to his friend.

Some of you may know that Richard Osterlind is a mentalist with no specialty per se. Like Banachek and Bob Cassidy, he’s a general practitioner of the art. Rick is both magician and mentalist, with a specialty in haunted magic. Not exactly the first person you’d expect to fill in for Osterlind. Apparently, the rest of the convention didn’t think so either. Rick actually had people coming up to him the day before his lecture, getting in his fact and accosting him. “Who do you think you are to take Richard Osterlind’s place?”

Rick brushed them off and did his lecture. The next day, those same people were coming up to him, not offering their apologies, but asking if they could get a copy of his lecture notes. The other convention attendees who had been open-minded toward the roster change were raving about the lecture to anyone who would listen.

If you know what your path is and stick with it, you will draw more people to you who will look up to you and support your work.

From here, take some large, seemingly impossible goals with the ideas we generated only minutes ago, and break them down into smaller and more manageable ones with finite deadlines. Let’s say you combined a love of cooking with magic. Your biggest long-term goal is to have a show where you are a magical chef and combine dinner and a show in one very neat stroke. Quite an ambitious project. To do that, you would need a story, routine, and a clear idea of what you want the audience to get at the end. Now you need to figure out what kind of foods are going to be shown throughout the show. Is it going to be a complete meal? A buffet? Nothing but desserts?

You keep working backward. Eventually you may decide that to truly get started, your first goal is to learn or create at least three new effects that involve the senses of taste and smell in some way. That’s pretty manageable. And it also has the added bonus of overall helping create a magic chef persona, not just that one show that is your ultimate goal. Don’t make it too easy on yourself, though. I’ll describe why in a moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
3. Make a 5-year plan, thinking of your ideal self-image.

You’ve gotten past the hardest part, which was getting that early momentum going. Now you have more breathing room, and you’re able to have more fun with it. This is good. The most important thing is to enjoy what you do. A lot of people soldier through life stuck in a place they don’t want to be. No one ever gave them the direction to realize their ideal self-image, while others simply lack the ambition or impetus to affect personal change in their life. And sometimes you just get dealt a bad hand by life.

Now you have a definite goal in mind. What you need to do now that you have that momentum is to break it down into a 5-year plan. Reverse engineer those ultimate goals into small milestones. Always have in mind where are you going to be at this time next year and don’t accept personal excuses.

Remember that you are now thinking of the larger-than-life you that you aspire to be. If you were as cool as you dream of being, where would you be going? Assume you’re already on that path. If you internalize the frame that you’re already becoming cooler by the day because of your ambition and focus, you’ll begin to act like it. Just as if you anticipate failure, you’ll get failure. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy and it works both ways.

Now, you should have a clear set of milestones for yourself staring at you on that piece of notebook paper or whatever. You’ve worked backward, showing a tree of progressive steps you need to take to get to those milestones and dates you want them accomplished by.

I’m reminded of the tactics David Blaine did to get his first TV special. He was continually honing his chops, but he did it in an interesting way: by practicing on everybody. He made a demo tape of guerilla magic and submitted it to an agency. They were skeptical at first, but David started performing magic for everyone who worked in the building, one group at a time. He got on MTV’s station IDs and segues by doing magic for the receptionist at their Broadway office. He did magic for enough local celebrities and so often that he actually started showing up in the local newspapers. Here is a man who knows how to get a job done.

For example, let’s take our psychology enthusiast example. He’s decided that in five years, he wants to produce a series of college shows illustrating psychological studies and principles through mentalism. The first big milestone would probably be to read up on certain topics within the science that he find particularly interesting and write some articles based on his observations and get those published. He’s not looking for grants or research opportunities, but to be recognized in the field as someone with a good head on his shoulders and keen insight. He also makes it a point to acquaint himself with local professors in psychology and familiarize himself with their work. This isn’t easy, but it is feasible and can be accomplished within a year.

4. Integrate yourself with a successful crowd.

You now have some milestones knocked out of the way, some real work to show for your efforts, and as a result a massive boost of confidence. You’re becoming the person you want to be. However, you can’t really go it alone. Just as a magician needs his spectators, successful people need other successful people.

In your efforts, you may find that you’ll be drawing likeminded people to yourself naturally. You’ll be hanging out in places that this crowd can be found, and those sorts of people may also recognize your work and seek you out. This is great, because now you have more friends that you connect with. In the previous article, it was touched on how your quest for self-improvement would lead to certain people in your life falling by the wayside. And I think you’ll all agree that’s a tough thing to go through. My sister recently lost a close friend because while she focused on getting herself started in an acting career, her friend didn’t follow her in that direction and started trying to be what he thought others would want him to be in order to gain a larger degree of approval.

These things will happen sadly. The good news is that you will have more fulfilling and rewarding friendships because of your newfound confidence and personal strength. A truly loyal friend is immeasurably more valuable than a dozen fair-weather friends as you’ll soon learn.

Integrating yourself more into this community will have the added effect of increasing your credibility to those outside of it. Just tell the average person that you have a massive library of magic books and DVDs, and they’re unlikely to be impressed. Tell them that you’re a member of The Magic Castle, I.B.M., S.A.M., or The Inner Circle of Bizarre Magick, and all of a sudden they realize that this guy is going places!

Who here is familiar with Paul Gertner? Paul is Pittsburgh’s most famous magician who made his reputation with his variant on the classic cups and balls effect using steel ball bearings and some crafty audio illusions. He’s currently working as a corporate entertainer and one thing that sells potential new clients exceptionally well is when he shows them his book, Steel and Silver and the picture on the title page that shows Paul with Johnny Carson himself. Paul actually coached Johnny in some sleight of hand at one point and the two became friends. Paul even appeared on the Tonight Show on three different occasions.

Now, Paul’s variant on the cups and balls was impressive to magicians who applauded his originality. But to corporate clients, it was much more impressive to them to know that Paul was on TV with Johnny Carson and actually taught him some magic along the way.

A huge factor in establishing your reputation is the social proof and recognition you garner from others. One guy sitting at home watching re-reading Tolkkien for the third time that season is considered a geek (no offense). But Peter Jackson made a movie that won 11 Oscars! Some people may still think of him as a being a little nerdy, but he’s still a highly respected filmmaker and a very interesting person.

This seems like a good time to reference our fantasy literature fan magician. He’s taken steps to getting himself a nice big Vegas show and has acquainted himself with numerous fantasy authors, the art directors of a couple of fantasy movies, and is appearing at fantasy film and literature conventions as a performer. He’s reached his first milestone and is now meeting numerous people who can help him out and is now working on using his knowledge of illusion technology to supervise special effects in several independent films and may even be making an appearance in one himself in a supporting role. He now has the support of an entire community to establish his credibility as more than just a humble D&D geek.

5. Express your new ideal self in everything you do.

One of my favorite comedians, the irreverent funnyman Sean “Seanbaby” Riley, once told a joke in one of his routines that went like this:

”This scale of coolness might need some explaining. A 1 out of 10 here is the equivalent to the 35 year old men you see in the mall playing Pokemon cards with children that aren't theirs. A 10 out of 10 would be the equivalent of the coolest person in the world who I imagine would have an eyepatch and say "Let's rock n' roll!" before he did anything.”

I’ve continually emphasized how important it is to internalize this new frame of mind. Once you have, the internal manifests itself into the external. You have not changed the core of your personality at all, but you begin to act and dress like a cooler person. You turn your living space into a place that you really enjoy living in. You have more fulfilling relationships with the people in your life.

Live your ideal self-image every day and be a cause in the world instead of an effect. Before you know it, there will be no problem that you can’t find a way to solve and you will be regarded as a leader instead of a follower.

Since I like happy endings, our magic chef now has a series of shows based on his unique act and even has a 90-minute Food Network special coming up. Our psychology enthusiast is now touring campuses across the country and is even set to make an appearance at a conference for psychologists in which he demonstrates his approach to educating people about this fascinating science. Our D&D player has his own Vegas show and is also now working in movies, helping to create the kind of films he and his ever-expanding circle of friends want to see.

When you have reached this level, you begin attracting people outside of your field in addition to those within. You have reached a point where you now have a greater degree of freedom and can evolve in whole new directions. This is the stage where I can no longer give you this kind of general advice, but in 5 years’ time I hope to see you there.

Sep 1, 2007
Recommended Reading

Absolute Magic by Derren Brown: Don’t question this one. Just get it. You can find a lot of great reviews for it here at Ellusionist already.

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne: Yeah, yeah, I know. It seems like one of those hokey New Age things. But even though some of the examples cheapen the message, there is good advice to be had here. A friend of mine is a business coach who gives seminars on the mental aspects of business, and many of her lessons are taken from this book.

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers: Unlike many other self-help gurus, the author of this book is a published psychiatrist with a PhD. The purpose of her book here is to undue the conditioning we’ve been given by society to do things that seem logical and intuitive, but are holding us back out of fear of failure/rejection/harm/etc., usually for no real reason.

Mysterious Stranger by David Blaine: I mentioned David earlier because he chronicles his rise to success in his book up to his Vertigo TV special. Read those chapters again and again and again until the lessons sink in. David is one of modern America’s greatest success stories.

The Shaolin Way by Steve DeMasco: The author here is the only American to have ever been recognized by the Shaolin Temple in China as a true Shaolin grandmaster. His book details the tenants of discipline, self-improvement, and determination embraced by the monks themselves for centuries.

(Insert Biography Here): Find some books of people who inspire you. Personally, I got a lot from Rebel Without a Crew by Robert Rodriguez and If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell, but that may not apply to you guys. Remember to connect it with your interests and passions.

The goal of this little reading list here is to give you one last helpful tip. Surround yourself with the voices of positive influences. Make it a point every day to read some select passages from books like the ones listed above. Be sure to find the ones that really do it for you as long as they contain positive messages and important lessons to learn.

I hope these two articles have helped you in some way. Thank you.

Sep 1, 2007
Why would you post an article from E and post it here. THis is theory11 and I truly don't care.

I didn't write it for you. If you have nothing of value to say, leave.

I posted these articles with the intention of helping the community. If you're too caught up in an imagined rivalry to listen to somebody trying to help you, then you don't deserve any help.

Sep 2, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
wow copperfield... that wasnt very nice.

I havnt got the time to read it all now cuz i gotta go to bed, but i certainly will tomorrow! I bet it got loads of helpfull tips in it ;D Thanks.

/marb

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Guys,

Before any debate gets started in here, let's try and only discuss Steerpike's post, and anything relating to said post. This isn't the place to debate and argue, alright? Lets keep it on-topic.

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Great advice! I read all of it, it took awhile, I don't think I can do that though. I don't really feel like I can just start acting different, I did that like 4 years (and stopped last year) and it was the dumbest thing I did, I laugh at it now.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think I can do that though. I don't really feel like I can just start acting different, I did that like 4 years (and stopped last year) and it was the dumbest thing I did, I laugh at it now.

Acting different isn't really the point. What you do is visualize an ideal self-image and live it.

That means you play up your strength, minimize your weaknesses, and turn passion into ambition. Everyone's afraid of acting different. I say don't act. Just be better.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results