Why do we Film our tricks?

Pip

Jul 1, 2010
Hi,

We all do it. Most of us (even me) film tricks or flourishes and post them. But mostly it is without any audience. That, I think is a bit said. That is why we learn this skill (at least that is why I do it) to amaze people and feel that feeling. The feeling that we can freak people out.

I am not saying that such style of video is bad or even lesser intresting. But There are so many people that have this amazing skill but doesn't show to the world that they can amaze the world. We know they can but we haven't seen it. So I call all upon you: Make a movie with you actuallly performing for and audience and put in as much work as in a show movie. And I guarantee you that you,me and everyone else will be amazed and be so happy that you did it.

Pip

PS: If i typed any faults: Moderators please edit!!

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I film magic videos all the time. Sometime without audience, sometimes with an audience. But when I always do is every year film a Street Magic video. I started this in 2007. I have a Street Magic 2007, Street Magic 2007 2, Street Magic 2008, Street Magic, 2009, and Street Magic 2010. And just like every year, I will make a Street Magic 2011 video. I try to shoot for filming with an audience because it's more exciting and I get to share an interesting experience with people.

Nov 19, 2010
its hard when an audience doesnt like being filmed but its always better to perform in front of people so i like wat ur haveing people do go out and show the world

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Check my recent thread! I film just for the fun of it, and also to look back and learn. Sometimes you will mess up but not realize it until you see it on film. Also, I like to edit video

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
When I was first learning, I filmed obsessively. Then I watched the videos, turned them into DivX files, and never showed them to anyone.

It was a very useful learning tool. I also have a full-sized tripod raised to approximate eye level, and tilted slightly downward. That was also important.

That was why I filmed. Once I got to where I could perform things well without looking at my hands, I felt comfortable performing in front of people. That, too, is important.

Sep 1, 2010
i agree with you, but you can learn a lot from videos. but what i hate, is when people flash and give away some amazing trick by theory11, ellusionist ect. i don't see any point to film someone elses work, unless you changed it someway or filmed infront of an audience. but also it can be fun, people commenting and giving you tips but unfortunately there are mean people insulting you and saying how bad you are.

i think this is an interesting topic :)

(im saying about people posting on youtube, but it's good filming tricks and see how smooth ur sleights are so you can get an idea and not post it anywhere)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
Hi,

We all do it. Most of us (even me) film tricks or flourishes and post them. But mostly it is without any audience. That, I think is a bit said. That is why we learn this skill (at least that is why I do it) to amaze people and feel that feeling. The feeling that we can freak people out.

I am not saying that such style of video is bad or even lesser intresting. But There are so many people that have this amazing skill but doesn't show to the world that they can amaze the world. We know they can but we haven't seen it. So I call all upon you: Make a movie with you actuallly performing for and audience and put in as much work as in a show movie. And I guarantee you that you,me and everyone else will be amazed and be so happy that you did it.

Pip

PS: If i typed any faults: Moderators please edit!!

Here is one from Back in the day.....

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?18909-Go.Out.Perform.&highlight=Go.Out.Perform

Jan 21, 2011
I think filing is the best way to find out were you are making a mistake. I prefer to film my sleights rather than just use a mirror to see where I go wrong. I do not post these however. Though getting feedback is important I feel that post just a sleight is almost as bad as exposing it. The number of times I have heard friends of mine say they figured out a sleight by watching the video on You Tube over and over again is astounding to me. But on the other hand there are people who have no one to help them critique their magic, so this feedback is important. And they make mistakes and some accidentally expose. So all in all I feel that Video taping is good but mass sharing is bad.

One thing I would love to see is a You Tube style private magicians club where we can post videos that non-members can't see and we can talk freely about effects to help each other out. I have not found one yet but I have only started to look recently. Maybe If I can't find one I look in to creating one myself, but I digress.

I do think that exposure of magic not method is a good thing though. I think when you plan on posting some magic to just get it out their in peoples faces and show your artistic expression, your magic, you should always do so with an audience. When you film yourself with an audience you should also do edits to make the method more obscure, but leave the magic of the audience reaction. It is the report you create and the scene you create within the spectators mind that is magic, not the sleight you do or the method you use. So I guess I think that if you are going to post you should:

Leave the magic and obscure the method any way you can.
Always perform with an audience because without them there is no magic only tricks.
Stop allowing people the ability to expose your method, by just posting tricks.

Or at least those are my opinions, not the whole of law or something like that. I look forward to other peoples thoughts on the matter.
Red

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I think filing is the best way to find out were you are making a mistake. I prefer to film my sleights rather than just use a mirror to see where I go wrong. I do not post these however. Though getting feedback is important I feel that post just a sleight is almost as bad as exposing it. The number of times I have heard friends of mine say they figured out a sleight by watching the video on You Tube over and over again is astounding to me. But on the other hand there are people who have no one to help them critique their magic, so this feedback is important. And they make mistakes and some accidentally expose. So all in all I feel that Video taping is good but mass sharing is bad.

One thing I would love to see is a You Tube style private magicians club where we can post videos that non-members can't see and we can talk freely about effects to help each other out. I have not found one yet but I have only started to look recently. Maybe If I can't find one I look in to creating one myself, but I digress.

I do think that exposure of magic not method is a good thing though. I think when you plan on posting some magic to just get it out their in peoples faces and show your artistic expression, your magic, you should always do so with an audience. When you film yourself with an audience you should also do edits to make the method more obscure, but leave the magic of the audience reaction. It is the report you create and the scene you create within the spectators mind that is magic, not the sleight you do or the method you use. So I guess I think that if you are going to post you should:

Leave the magic and obscure the method any way you can.
Always perform with an audience because without them there is no magic only tricks.
Stop allowing people the ability to expose your method, by just posting tricks.

Or at least those are my opinions, not the whole of law or something like that. I look forward to other peoples thoughts on the matter.
Red

Well, there is a solution to that. You can post a video on youtube or vimeo and put a password on it, than you give the password to the people whose oppinion you want, and then delete the video. It's as simple as that.
Also, you can video chat with other magicians over at the magic session http://themagicsession.com/the-lounge

Jan 21, 2011
Just goes to show you how much I know about You Tube and such. :) Thanks for the link to the magic session I will check it out shortly. And thanks for the You Tube Tip.

Red

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results