Why so many changes?

Feb 18, 2010
I'm still learning so bear with me.I was wondering why there are so many different kinds of changes here and around the net. There are ego, Is there some kind of distinction between all of them? Is there an advantage to using one change for another? Hmm..I think this is also for other different sleights. Why so many of them yet they do the same thing? Thanks!

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Because they almost all look different to the spectator. Also, some of them are suitable for some situations and some on not because of angles. Some are very angle sensitive, and some have very good angles.

They also all are usually done on different parts of the deck, or are just different in methodology.

Cheers

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I'm still learning so bear with me.I was wondering why there are so many different kinds of changes here and around the net. There are ego, Is there some kind of distinction between all of them? Is there an advantage to using one change for another? Hmm..I think this is also for other different sleights. Why so many of them yet they do the same thing? Thanks!

There are so many different color changes because:

1) Magicians love to work on these kinds of things and come up with lots of variations.
2) Different color changes have different pros and cons.
3) It is good to have a few different ones in case spectators ask you to do it again.

I would give a similar answer for sleights in general. It is always good to have a large tool box.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
The thing is, magicians love to work and come up with new stuff just for their own amusment and to fool other magicians or for the most part, create things that will fool other magicians so they can sell it to other magicians.

I would not bother with to many of them. The classic color change which you can get free on this site works great for me.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
-If the x-card is face up on top, with the card to be changed into face up under it.
-If the x-card is face up on top, with the card to be changed into face down under it
-If the x-card is face up on top, with the card to be changed into it face up under the deck.
-If the x-card is held as a single, with the card to be changed into it secretly behind it.
etc.

I would not worry about all the changes... but if you see one you like that just looks that cool why not get it and play with it!

I see some magicians who use a few sleights and make complete magic!

So it's all up to what you want really but don't think you must learn them all i don't know any sleights like that.

Aug 19, 2009
dude,its simple..there are so many color changes so that if you ever mess up with performing one certain color change,well you have another variation so that you won't get caught :)..and if you do the same color change over and over and over again well you would be boring and easily burned coz they know what to expect :)

dRew

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
dude,its simple..there are so many color changes so that if you ever mess up with performing one certain color change,well you have another variation so that you won't get caught :)..and if you do the same color change over and over and over again well you would be boring and easily burned coz they know what to expect :)

dRew
Yup, that's right. The same situation must be with your controls, double lifts and other techniques. That makes your magic at least more various.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Yup, that's right. The same situation must be with your controls, double lifts and other techniques. That makes your magic at least more various.

I think that most moves should look the same throughout the routine, If you do a pass as a control and a simple double lift the first time it will look wierd or maybe suspicious if you start doing it in other wierd ways afterwards.

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
I think that most moves should look the same throughout the routine, If you do a pass as a control and a simple double lift the first time it will look wierd or maybe suspicious if you start doing it in other wierd ways afterwards.
Yes, of course. I always thought that the fact that you have to practice the move and feel the potential of it must not be repeated in every post on the forum. If you wanna be good magician, wanna get the jaw-dropping reaction not only from your spectators, but from magicians too, you have to practice every move perfectly.

The reason there are so many is because they are short and visual and great for youtube.

Magicians are more interested in them than spectators. Magicians come up with them to sell to others so they can post a youtube video of themselves performing it and then other magicians can then see it, want to learn it and then buy it.

I.e. They're a great quick money maker for magicians (why do you think places like T11 sell so many of them?) There really wasn't this obsession with colour changes when i started magic 15 years ago. But now they are perfect for short youtube videos.

Just my thoughts.

Rev

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
The reason there are so many is because they are short and visual and great for youtube.

Magicians are more interested in them than spectators. Magicians come up with them to sell to others so they can post a youtube video of themselves performing it and then other magicians can then see it, want to learn it and then buy it.

I.e. They're a great quick money maker for magicians (why do you think places like T11 sell so many of them?) There really wasn't this obsession with colour changes when i started magic 15 years ago. But now they are perfect for short youtube videos.

Just my thoughts.

Rev

Sadly you are right, its not just color changes. Its everything, controls, double lifts etc. As long as it fools other magicians, it must be good right?! And then it sells.

The magic community seems to have gone on some kind of creativity craze, because magicians everywhere seems to come up with more and more moves all the time and most of the time they are not even close to improvment on anything that exizts.

Feb 18, 2010
There are so many, I just want to learn one or two and master them. I would stick to the classic color change if I can for the moment, if not for the fact that almost everyone in my university has an idea of how it is done.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
There are nothing more stunning in card magic than a card to change its identity. I think I'm paraphrasing Vernon, but some one can correct me if I am wrong.

With that being stated, I don't bother learning all changes, but having all those changes out there are kind of like having a buffet. You can pick and choose depending on your skill level, style, and etc.

As everyone stated before each change has its pros and cons. I use only about 4-5 in my performances, and I usually go for the angle friendly ones. Others go for more visual ones, it comes down to your preference and how many people you are performing for (angle).

Caladan21ph, if you are referring to Erdnase color change, I have few subtleties I've learned that may help. If you are interested, feel free to PM me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results