Why you simply NEED to perform...

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
I've been practicing mostly flourishes from DanandDave's Trilogy, and
the occasional trick. (2CM, Card to Mouth) I find out one of my classes
is cancelled and I head to the game room to burn some time. I ran into
the most perfect opportunity to do some magic. I knew if I passed it
up, I'd hate myself forever.
I notice a guy shooting pool cracking jokes louder than everyone else, being more or less, the funny guy. I knew if I could pull off one good trick for him it would fire him up and get others interested in what's going on. I pull out my cards and start doing some fans and stuff, trying to warm up. I'm standing in the corner not making a big deal about it and he points me out saying, "Ohh, we've got a card shark here!" He offers me a game of pool, but I ask him if he wants to see something before we play. He says yes and I go straight into 2CM.
I did it fairly smoothly (in my opinion) and no one caught a thing. Convinced he is holding two aces, he slowly turns over two Jokers, realizing he'd been duped. One of the absolute best reactions I've ever gotten in one and a half years. He stands up and yells, "H*** to the no! H*** to the no!" He throws the two jokers on
the floor and walks away. By now there is a small group of about 5 or 7
people wondering what just happened. I do a short ACR and end with
Stigmata. Everyone was completely fried with the exception of 2 guys
that said I flashed a double lift to them. (Purely because of my lack of experience and spectator control skills...) They were cool about it, and
said it was still really smooth and they couldn't do it as well as I had.
By the end of it all, they guy that offered me a game of pool gave me
my first tip ($5) and said, "Hey, you could really make some money doing this. You gotta start somewhere..."
Despite all my shaking and nervousness, I pulled through... and left with people
saying I should have a show here on campus.

Wow.

Never have I felt that good after doing magic... To those of you who are fairly new to magic and performing and/or have trouble with nerves, let me tell you- Live performances make you SO much better as a magician and a showman, you won't even believe it. Next time you're out and see the perfect opportunity to do some magic, do it. Don't let your nerves get in the way. Don't even think about messing up.

Just do it.

Thanks,

-Matt

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Congratulations... feels good to get some great reactions, doesn't it? There's no greater confidence booster.

Dec 28, 2007
There is no feeling like it!

I can never understand why so many "magicians" never perform apart from those who are close to them.

Performing is addictive and you will get a fantastic reputation!

Good work.

D

Deleted member 2755

Wow! Awesome! It sounds like you had a great time. Pat yourself on the back and get yourself some ice cream with the 5 bucks you made! ;) You earned it!

-Doug

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
yeah dude, you just gotta jdi. jdi-ing is the way to go.

J.D.I.

my friend started saying jdi and "merry jdi" everyday and he is making jdi shirts. its a long-standing joke at our school. (jdi=just do it)

this thread reminded me

kevin

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
yeah dude, you just gotta jdi. jdi-ing is the way to go.

J.D.I.

my friend started saying jdi and "merry jdi" everyday and he is making jdi shirts. its a long-standing joke at our school. (jdi=just do it)

this thread reminded me

kevin

You just gotta just do it? lol, that sounds funny.

Performing a killer effect to a complete random is like a drug for me, I cannot get enough of it. Speaking of which, I really need to start doing some street stuff. Hopefully this is going to be the year where I get a job performing. All I got to do is get the word starting to spread.

Cheers, Tom

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results