You Caught Me Off Guard...

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Hey guys,

I normally carry a deck of cards and a Sharpie everywhere I go... But what about the occasional day you wake up late and rush out the door without any cards?

How many times has this happened to you? Someone walks up to you and says, "Hey, show me a trick!" You reach into your pockets looking for anything to do some simple sleight with... nothing.

If anyone has any ideas of things to say to get out of a situation like this (without saying, "I left my talent in my other pants...")... post it.

If anyone has any simple tricks or sleights you can do with almost anything... post it.

If anyone has any experiences to share that would help out the magician in this situation.... post it.

This is the official, "You caught me off guard" thread.

That's happend to me a few times but that's why you don't limit yourself to just cards. AND PLUS I think that would be a good time to perform Control. that is if you know it and if you don't, get it. :)

Dec 14, 2007
If you buy the Tarbell course you will have a lifetime of impromptu, stage, parlour, card, coin etc etc material.

Daniel Cros made his living with a stack of paper napkins!

Study the classics. The answers are waiting.

Brad Henderson

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Ok. The updated Impromptu Trick List:

1.) Control (Perhaps not the best for a "Do a trick!" performance, but impromptu nonetheless.)
2.) Loops (almost impromptu)
3.) Tricks w/ coins (Revolution by Kevin Parker)
4.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyENfzGqaAY&feature=related
5.) Versions 2 & 3 of Stigmata
6.) Pickpocketing effects
7.) Various tricks w/ borrowed rings
8.) 360 degree arm twist
9.) David Copperfield Hand Twist
10.) Tricks w/ rubber bands/ paperclips (the first part of DG's Rubber Made)
11.) On The Spot by Gregory Wilson
12.) The Tarbell Course

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Crossed from Real secret's of magic, which is similar to Twisting Arm Illusion I think, which just uses your arms and is impromptu and it gets pretty good reactions.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results