Your Three Favourite Magicians

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
That was David Blaine actually. Nobody wears more "normal looking clothes" than him. Copperfield strayed pretty far from the stereotype of how a magician was expected to look as well. Criss Angel just jumped on the bandwagon. I also would argue that Criss Angel doesn't exactly wear "normal clothes." Walk down the street and see how many people you see with a $200 haircut, leather pants, and enough bling dangling off of them to buy a Lamborghini.

Don't forget the leather vest with no shirt underneath.

//David.Misner::

Sounds a little bit like what I'm wearing right now... :D
Pimp.

I believe I missed this thread.

Well. I'll be a kiss up and say... EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM! I just can't pick three. It's hard, there is a **** load of magicians I really admire and look up to.

If someone was holding a gun to my head, which Dana Hocking is doing right now, I'd have to say David Copperfield, Geoff Williams, Lee Asher.

Mitchell

P.S. Looks like I forgot to say Dana Hocking... nice knowing all of you guys and girls!

Hey abuzarym, thanks for the mention! :) Here are my three favourites:

Derren Brown -- For opening me up to the big wide world of psychology and NLP. Not to mention his charm, unique presentation skills and overflowing charisma.

Bébel -- One of the best technical card magicians I have had the fortune to meet. Some brilliant magic ideas; definitely a big inspiration to me.

Bill Malone -- Simply for making me crack up whenever he pulls that face!

Jordan

Nov 8, 2007
Don't forget the leather vest with no shirt underneath.

//David.Misner::

Actually, I should have mentioned Doug Henning first. He was really the first to really change the image of a magician as a clean cut guy in a tux with a top hat to a scruffy guy in bright casual clothes. Blaine just updated it and took it a little further. Angel, however, contributed nothing. If anything he just updated the image of the magician as a rock star (which, I think most would agree, Copperfield had already created).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2007
That was David Blaine actually. Nobody wears more "normal looking clothes" than him. Copperfield strayed pretty far from the stereotype of how a magician was expected to look as well. Criss Angel just jumped on the bandwagon. I also would argue that Criss Angel doesn't exactly wear "normal clothes." Walk down the street and see how many people you see with a $200 haircut, leather pants, and enough bling dangling off of them to buy a Lamborghini.

You've got a point there

Walk down the street and see how many people you see with a $200 haircut, leather pants, and enough bling dangling off of them to buy a Lamborghini.

That's what I wear everyday.
Minus the $200 haircut, leather pants, and the bling.....and you got me! =)
I just dress how I dress regularly though. People always tell me I should dress formally doing stage shows, or even restaurant magic, and I think it's complete balderdash. There is no "Magic Dress Code".
I dress similar to Criss Angel, only my clothes are less expensive. I have kind of the "rock star" image, because that's what I wanted to be before I wanted to be a magician....a rock star. And the look stuck. I wasn't about to change my image just because other magicians wear the same exact cookie-cutter outfits.

Anthony Bass

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia

Even though I may not have a $200 haircut and enough bling to buy a Lamborghini, I dress pretty much like Criss Angel. I always have. Every item of clothing in my wardrobe is black/dark and has that "look." So, to me, that's "normal."

Normal doesn't exist. What's normal to some, isn't normal to someone else. Remember that.

I just dress how I dress regularly though. People always tell me I should dress formally doing stage shows, or even restaurant magic, and I think it's complete balderdash. There is no "Magic Dress Code".
I dress similar to Criss Angel, only my clothes are less expensive. I have kind of the "rock star" image, because that's what I wanted to be before I wanted to be a magician....a rock star. And the look stuck. I wasn't about to change my image just because other magicians wear the same exact cookie-cutter outfits.

Anthony Bass

Just start smoking crack and stripping in public restuarants and you'll fit right on in Anthony,...jeez everyone thinks their a rock star! haha:D (Just a joke).

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
#1. Justin Miller
#2. Jay Sankey
#3. David Williamson

I just really like the style. I really enjoy Justin Miller's performance style, Jay Sankey's brilliant mind, and David Williamson, I don't know why, but I really like him. I think the closely following them would be either Buck Twins or Aaron Fisher or Lee Asher... but I only have to think up three, so they are there.

Nov 8, 2007
Even though I may not have a $200 haircut and enough bling to buy a Lamborghini, I dress pretty much like Criss Angel. I always have. Every item of clothing in my wardrobe is black/dark and has that "look." So, to me, that's "normal."

Normal doesn't exist. What's normal to some, isn't normal to someone else. Remember that.
Thanks for the advice there, Dr. Phil, but I think you missed the point of the discussion.

Anthony Bass
While I completely agree there is no "Magic Dress Code," you still want to be considerate of the environment your employer is paying you to perform in. If you're working in a nice restaurant make sure that if you're going to be looking like Marilyn Manson when you're walking aorund performing that your employer knows ahead of time. Personally, I usually just wear black dress pants with a black button-up dress shirt. It allows me to still retain my style while still blending in and looking professional while I'm representing the restaurant or venue I'm working for. For stage, however, the door is wide open. Your stage is your world. Just make sure your employer has a good understanding of what kind of world you create when you're on stage before it becomes a paid performance.

Happy Magic

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice there, Dr. Phil, but I think you missed the point of the discussion.

While I completely agree there is no "Magic Dress Code," you still want to be considerate of the environment your employer is paying you to perform in. If you're working in a nice restaurant make sure that if you're going to be looking like Marilyn Manson when you're walking aorund performing that your employer knows ahead of time. Personally, I usually just wear black dress pants with a black button-up dress shirt. It allows me to still retain my style while still blending in and looking professional while I'm representing the restaurant or venue I'm working for. For stage, however, the door is wide open. Your stage is your world. Just make sure your employer has a good understanding of what kind of world you create when you're on stage before it becomes a paid performance.

Happy Magic

I completely agree. If you're working in a restaurant, the manager/owner should know the look you're going with. But usually, if you're good enough, they won't mind, or they'll tell you a few things that need to be lost.

SHANE BLACK said:
Just start smoking crack and stripping in public restuarants and you'll fit right on in Anthony,...jeez everyone thinks their a rock star! haha (Just a joke).

I don't think i'm a rock star. I just wanted to be one. And I still do. If magic were to not work out for me, i'd probably join/form a band. I love music. Plus, my biggest influence in just about everything is Jonathan Davis, the lead singer for Korn. He's a genius.

Anthony Bass

Cyril is the best I've seen, Barry and Stuart for their wit and presentation, and David Blaine for his contribution to bringing magic back into the limelight. I'm gonna throw in a least favorite. I hate even saying the word favorite in the same sentence... but.... Chris Angel is my absolute least favorite. Probably staged for ratings, but he broke the code.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Cyril is the best I've seen, Barry and Stuart for their wit and presentation, and David Blaine for his contribution to bringing magic back into the limelight. I'm gonna throw in a least favorite. I hate even saying the word favorite in the same sentence... but.... Chris Angel is my absolute least favorite. Probably staged for ratings, but he broke the code.

Criss* ;)

Sorry, I just hate when it's spelled wrong. :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results