David Blaine is an independent film; Criss Angel is Hollywood

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
When was the last time a magician vanished something?

When was the last time a magician held his breath for 16 minutes and 32 seconds?

ps: not trying to be a fanboy either, so so you know :D

Holding your breath and all those other non-magic related things Blaine does is just that, non-magic related. It absolutely sh*ts me when people use Blaine's stunts as an argument over who is a better magician.

Sep 1, 2007
It absolutely sh*ts me when people use Blaine's stunts as an argument over who is a better magician.

Totally valid. But what about arguing who's the better performer/entertainer? And what will posterity remember better?

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Totally valid. But what about arguing who's the better performer/entertainer? And what will posterity remember better?

It's all a matter of personal opinion when in discussion over who is the better performer. I can say that personally, I find "stunts" kinda boring, but someone might prefer them over a magic trick.

But in the matter of what the future generations will recollect, well I'll have to say that I believe that holding ones breath for however long will probably be remembered more than someone turning a mannequin into a real lady. However, that again can depend on personal preference as well. I know people that don't remember I thing Blaine has done.

Sep 1, 2007
Consider also Harry Houdini's story. As a magician proper, he was pretty awful. But he consciously set about turning himself into a legend. Now his fame almost a century later eclipses that of all his contemporaries.

David is slowly turning himself into a superhero.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Consider also Harry Houdini's story. As a magician proper, he was pretty awful. But he consciously set about turning himself into a legend. Now his fame almost a century later eclipses that of all his contemporaries.

David is slowly turning himself into a superhero.

That is actually a very good point - I've never thought of it like that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results