David Blaine is an independent film; Criss Angel is Hollywood

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
criss angel has always been like hollywood to me.crazy special effects that people say oh **** that was awesome but forget about the effect a week later.an mtv style character whos program has no real soul in it.just feels like any other.

david blaine on the other hand is independant film.independant film does NOT mean low budget.it means original ideas told in artistic forms.david is movies like fight club,the matrix(first one),no country for old men and requiem for a dream.these are movies that have meaning and that stay with you.you dont just forget about them.david blaine is raw and real.

any magician here should honestly be able to see criss's method from a mile away.
thats my feel on them.
as you can see im both in love with film and magic.and to me they go hand in hand.

Sep 1, 2007
any magician here should honestly be able to see criss's method from a mile away.

Have you watched any of his early work? Before his ego became a sentient lifeform in its own right, he actually did some great stuff.

I don't like the metaphor as I've learned the hard way that the line between mainstream and indie is rapidly fading and there's both gold and crap on both ends of the spectrum. But that's getting into another topic.

All that said, the Blaine vs. Angel argument doesn't help anybody. It's been discussed to death, and what does it gain us?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
yeah i know what you mean.i just wanted to share my thoughts on this because of it being my first post.
i did it just to maybe enlighten somebody on the subject.
and yes hollywood and indie has always been blurring on various occasions.
mostly paramount and warner bros.
like when warner independant and paramount vantage showed up

Sep 1, 2007
david is movies like fight club,the matrix(first one),no country for old men and requiem for a dream.

Non of these movies were independent :p

But back on topic:

I can't really see the point of discussing this. David Blaine does things that has never EVER been done before, Chris Angel does ordinary magic.

I don't think you have to come up with some kind of movie-metaphor to make people understand this.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
As much as I hate Chris Angel everyone needs to stop being so jealous of him he's doing what he loves and thats all anyone can ask for.

Non of these movies were independent :p

But back on topic:

I can't really see the point of discussing this. David Blaine does things that has never EVER been done before, Chris Angel does ordinary magic.

I don't think you have to come up with some kind of movie-metaphor to make people understand this.

Umm not trying to be a fanboy but I think that David Blain does ordinary magic. I mean two card monte, healed and sealed. While criss angel vanishes a Lamborghini.

As for the topic. All the lay people in my school know about criss angel. Some know about blaine and copperfield.

criss angel has always been like hollywood to me.crazy special effects that people say oh **** that was awesome but forget about the effect a week later.an mtv style character whos program has no real soul in it.just feels like any other.

david blaine on the other hand is independant film.independant film does NOT mean low budget.it means original ideas told in artistic forms.david is movies like fight club,the matrix(first one),no country for old men and requiem for a dream.these are movies that have meaning and that stay with you.you dont just forget about them.david blaine is raw and real.

thats my feel on them.
as you can see im both in love with film and magic.and to me they go hand in hand.
You just described an independent film in the same category as any other film. An independent film is a film not funded by and produced by or through a large production company. Indie films are usually produced by an independent source with funding from personal sources.

Just to clear things up :).

You're just starting another Criss Angel vs. David Blaine debate, I'm pretty sure there are many threads on this topic already on so many forums!

Mitch

independent has nothing to do with budget.or choice of actors.
hollywood never had faith at all in the matrix.one man in warner gave it its chance.
Therefore it is not independent because it was produced by Warner Bros, one of the 5 major production studios that control production in Hollywood (MGM, Paramount Pictures, RKO, Warner Bros. and Twentieth Century Fox).

independant film does NOT mean low budget.it means original ideas told in artistic forms.

Film is an artistic form, in most (if not all) films ideas are expressed through film (an artistic form). So are you saying that all films are independent?

Here is a quote from Wikipedia,

Independent films today are generally defined as American films financed and distributed by sources outside today's Big Six and its subsidiaries.

I'm just using Wikipedia to back up my "claims".

Mitch

Sep 1, 2007
Therefore it is not independent because it was produced by Warner Bros, one of the 5 major production studios that control production in Hollywood (MGM, Paramount Pictures, RKO, Warner Bros. and Twentieth Century Fox).

Film is an artistic form, in most (if not all) films ideas are expressed through film (an artistic form). So are you saying that all films are independent?

Finally, somebody who can tell the difference.

Roger Corman is an independent filmmaker (fanboy). The Cohen brothers not so much.

Aug 31, 2007
all i can say is Chris angel is a great actor and sometimes you can't tell that he's not a real magician

...he is a real magician. Just like steerpike said, some of his previous stuff is amazing. Anyways, I don't really give a crap about his methods...he got rich deceiving the millions of average people in this world (isn't that what a magician is supposed to do anyways) and is now living happily. That's all that matters.

Sep 1, 2007
Umm not trying to be a fanboy but I think that David Blain does ordinary magic. I mean two card monte, healed and sealed. While criss angel vanishes a Lamborghini.

When was the last time a magician vanished something?

When was the last time a magician held his breath for 16 minutes and 32 seconds?

ps: not trying to be a fanboy either, so so you know :D

Sep 1, 2007
all i can say is Chris angel is a great actor and sometimes you can't tell that he's not a real magician

Watch Supernatural and get back to me when you have a clue.

No one has to like Criss as a person or even as an entertainer, but for love of George Romero, stop trying to be glib. Who are you all trying to impress?

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Watch Supernatural and get back to me when you have a clue.

No one has to like Criss as a person or even as an entertainer, but for love of George Romero, stop trying to be glib. Who are you all trying to impress?

You may want to clear up that you are talking about his stag show, and not the television series. This way random people do not start yelling how he had nothing to do with it. :p

-ThrallMind

Sep 1, 2007
Have you watched any of his early work? Before his ego became a sentient lifeform in its own right, he actually did some great stuff.

I don't like the metaphor as I've learned the hard way that the line between mainstream and indie is rapidly fading and there's both gold and crap on both ends of the spectrum. But that's getting into another topic.

All that said, the Blaine vs. Angel argument doesn't help anybody. It's been discussed to death, and what does it gain us?

Oh, you mean like that Hair Metal "magic?" Yeah, real great. Check it out in the media section. And remember, no camera tricks were used.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Criss Angel vs. David Blaine?

I’ve read numerous threads and posts of people arguing about who’s better and who’s not, and it’s not making a whole lot of sense to me… I mean, comparing Criss Angel to David Blaine is kinda like comparing Steve Jobs to Lance Armstrong. Both are incredibly good at what they do, but they both do very different things. David Blaine is insanely good at getting explosive reactions with simple card tricks, being as laid back as possible, and holding his breath for a short eternity. Criss Angel, on the other hand, is really good at combining a rock star status with being a magician, selling signed portraits of himself for $1,000.00 each (Seriously...), and being quite possibly one of the most influential magicians of the 21st century. Whether you like him or not, Criss has definitely raised the bar when it comes to advancing the art magic…
Criss Angel and David Blaine: Two different guys doing two different things…

Just my thoughts...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results