How can I improve my website?

Jan 21, 2008
I'm no pro website designer, but whenever I visit a website's mainpage and it's loaded full of text sort of bloggish style, I wonder where I should start.

If it's not too hard, I'd reduce the size of your mainpage so that it could be completely seen on one screen with no up-down scroll bar. Maybe filling in a lot of that empty space on the sides (not all of it) and reducing the blog posts to snippets or links that a person could navigate with rather than throwing the whole kit'n'kabootle on the front page.

Other than that, the design is really good. I like the nav bar at the top above the banner and I kinda like the color scheme.

Oct 8, 2007
Steven: Get rid of the stupid picture of you. jk :p Seriously, I would make it more serious (the picture) though.
Just a little thought.

The rest I quite like. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ide make like a logo or something so you look all official.:cool:

My logo is at the top of every page? I am not understanding what you mean, sorry.

I quiet like it,

Infact its one of the only 'Personal Magician' sites I do like.

Well done man

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I'm no pro website designer, but whenever I visit a website's mainpage and it's loaded full of text sort of bloggish style, I wonder where I should start.

If it's not too hard, I'd reduce the size of your mainpage so that it could be completely seen on one screen with no up-down scroll bar. Maybe filling in a lot of that empty space on the sides (not all of it) and reducing the blog posts to snippets or links that a person could navigate with rather than throwing the whole kit'n'kabootle on the front page.

Other than that, the design is really good. I like the nav bar at the top above the banner and I kinda like the color scheme.

I shall in future keep the posts I create on the main page short and snappy :) - Thank you.

Steven: Get rid of the stupid picture of you. :p Seriously, I would make it more serious (the picture) though.
Just a little thought.

The rest I quite like.

I shall edit it now, thank you.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
A website and its design/layout completely depends on its purpose.

Looking at your site, at first glance, I would assume that you are a magician who wants to keep an updated blog, and that is all.

To be honest, if I was a prospective client, who was given your business card etc... and I went to your site to check the possibility of hiring you, I would either think you gave me your private website address by mistake, or that you were a bit unprofessional.

If you are primarily only trying to keep an updated blog about your life and various passions (magic, performing arts, etc...) then your site is great. Pretty simple yet good design, color-scheme (aside from some of the previously mentioned fonts, haha).

I would however create an entire separate section on your side menu for your links though.

If you are wanting to have a more professional site and promote your magic for business purposes, then I would keep all of your blogging to a separate page. And as another poster mentioned, you want your main page to have minimal to zero scrolling. Should be simple, and at first glance needs to let people know that the site is a professional business site.

Thats cool!

BTW one thing that just started buggin me more and more is the background. Make a good background, the solid color takes a bit away from the site.

Mikk

Thank you, I shall look into it.

New picture is brilliant!

Better than before?

A website and its design/layout completely depends on its purpose.

Looking at your site, at first glance, I would assume that you are a magician who wants to keep an updated blog, and that is all.

That is what I am doing at the moment, as I am studying at university and not entirely in the industry yet.

To be honest, if I was a prospective client, who was given your business card etc... and I went to your site to check the possibility of hiring you, I would either think you gave me your private website address by mistake, or that you were a bit unprofessional.

I am not using it mainly for bookings at the moment, just a data base of what I am doing, and what I have done.

If you are primarily only trying to keep an updated blog about your life and various passions (magic, performing arts, etc...) then your site is great. Pretty simple yet good design, color-scheme (aside from some of the previously mentioned fonts, haha).

I am not sure what other fonts to use, I feel these fonts I am using gives it a theme. Maybe people don't like them :p

I would however create an entire separate section on your side menu for your links though.

What do you mean by this? :p

If you are wanting to have a more professional site and promote your magic for business purposes, then I would keep all of your blogging to a separate page. And as another poster mentioned, you want your main page to have minimal to zero scrolling. Should be simple, and at first glance needs to let people know that the site is a professional business site.

Thank you for your comments, I have written a few notes on my pad that I may need to change.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results