Push Through Shuffle - Jason England

Sep 1, 2007
I don't mean to be rude, but the utl looked hideous with such a large brief. Its a shame that all these young'uns will now learn it this way.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't mean to be rude, but the utl looked hideous with such a large brief. Its a shame that all these young'uns will now learn it this way.

Are you kidding? I may not use the move, but England does it pretty damn well if you ask me...he ought to, seeing as he's one of the world's top card guys.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Up the ladder is always taught with a large brief. The nature of the move is such that successive packets appear to be pulled out of the middle of the deck in a haphazard fashion, so perfect squaredness after each cut can, in fact, detract from the illusion. As with false dealing, rhythm is more important than size of the brief.

Also, on the subject of using more that one false riffle shuffle, surely the idea is that a Zarrow, push-through, strip-out, or whatever you use, all simulate the action of a real tabled shuffle. Therefore, unless your technique is poor, your audience shouldn't pick up on any change if you use multiple techniques. In fact, it can be beneficial. If some wise-guy in the audience thinks something was suspicious about your Zarrow, maybe he caught the fact that the packets came apart before being pushed back together, he'll be watching like a well-bred hawk the next time you shuffle. If he sees the cards genuinely being weaved and pushed into each other, as in a push-through, it will allay his suspicions.

Sep 1, 2007
Up the ladder is always taught with a large brief. The nature of the move is such that successive packets appear to be pulled out of the middle of the deck in a haphazard fashion, so perfect squaredness after each cut can, in fact, detract from the illusion. As with false dealing, rhythm is more important than size of the brief.

Also, on the subject of using more that one false riffle shuffle, surely the idea is that a Zarrow, push-through, strip-out, or whatever you use, all simulate the action of a real tabled shuffle. Therefore, unless your technique is poor, your audience shouldn't pick up on any change if you use multiple techniques. In fact, it can be beneficial. If some wise-guy in the audience thinks something was suspicious about your Zarrow, maybe he caught the fact that the packets came apart before being pushed back together, he'll be watching like a well-bred hawk the next time you shuffle. If he sees the cards genuinely being weaved and pushed into each other, as in a push-through, it will allay his suspicions.

You raise a good point, however, the technique of a Zarrow shuffle versus that of a push-through is inherently different in how it is presented to the audience. The Zarrow shuffle uses a natural cover action to mask the move, whereas the push-through required a cut of the cards. I personally find not having to do anything to the cards afterward beneficial to the deceptiveness of the shuffle. But to each his own...

Again, I will go on the record as agreeing that it is good to know more than one shuffle, but when it comes right down to it, one only needs one very good one.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm thinking about buying this, but I already know the Truffle Shuffle. Anybody actually buy this? If so, can you give a short review?

Sep 1, 2007
I'm thinking about buying this, but I already know the Truffle Shuffle. Anybody actually buy this? If so, can you give a short review?

The Truffle Shuffle is great for stand up situations, but I'm not sure that it's best for a table setting.

I'd recommend this--it's a great move, I just don't use it.

Sep 1, 2007
So,
What are your thoughts on the new 1-on-1?
Personally I think it looks really cool. I might get it.

-manks

You might get it???

Dude this shuffle rocks my world....

It's probably a very difficult technique to master....

But once its in your arsenal, you've got a weapon you can do almost anything with...

This video is awesome....

Peace...

Sep 1, 2007
Again, people here talk without much experience.

The Push-through shuffle is the basics of all false table shuffling. Very fun to practice and very difficult to make it look good. As much as this is one of the coolest 1on1 that has been released... I still disagree with it. In my opinion, people should actually friggin read the materials instead of them getting their butt wiped. The future of magic... is where people can learn the secrets that has been in text for many decades now being easily learned by just paying 10 bucks and watching it. Sigh.

I do not understand your statement...

There are different types of learners, Auditory, Visual or Kinesthetic....

Some people learn more effectively by watching a video, whereas some people learn it easier by watching a video...

What is your point?

Sep 3, 2007
As you go into riffle shuffle work and its magical applications, you'll find that there are places where the effect demands a push through.

Jason Englad, as expected, does the move very well. People used to pay only to get the move done by an expert. Now you see it AND learn it.

For ten bucks.

Cheers,

I was under the impression that false shuffles accomplish the same thing. I'm curious to know what kind of effects demand any particular one? Did you get this? Recommended?

I'm kinda like Ben whereas I'd rather use a Zarrow than push through in most cases.

I was under the impression that false shuffles accomplish the same thing. I'm curious to know what kind of effects demand any particular one? Did you get this? Recommended?

I'm kinda like Ben whereas I'd rather use a Zarrow than push through in most cases.
One factor is ,it depends on what do you want to emphasis in the effect. The push through allows you to show the card being shuffled in fairly, and the buit-in cuts are nice.

The Zarrow is great, no strip out work, but personally, I don't think doing it when the deck is under fire is a good thing. There are many sublties created for it that makes it extremely convincing, but there is something about the cards really being shuffled that makes the illusion convincing. Also, In card games and gambling demos, its common knowledge that the deck should be shuffled then cut. You could start some a Zarrow, following it up with a push through with a built in single cut.

Take full deck control demos ( where you show a deck back in its original order ), while the Zarrow is used in this alot, a well constructed effect would include touches that the deck is indeed mixed, which is why the Zarrow is usually done after some push-throughs and strip outs, and done quickly as "more quick shuffles", as a throw off.

These are obviously tiny details, but to me are important. But again, this is why people who're not going for deep study of the subject settle for Zarrows :)

Thats when we're talking about them as full deck controls, the principles are varied as you go into riffle shuffle work ( block transfers ...etc ), which not alot of people take time to study lol

Cheers,

Sep 1, 2007
One factor is ,it depends on what do you want to emphasis in the effect. The push through allows you to show the card being shuffled in fairly, and the buit-in cuts are nice.

The Zarrow is great, no strip out work, but personally, I don't think doing it when the deck is under fire is a good thing. There are many sublties created for it that makes it extremely convincing, but there is something about the cards really being shuffled that makes the illusion convincing. Also, In card games and gambling demos, its common knowledge that the deck should be shuffled then cut. You could start some a Zarrow, following it up with a push through with a built in single cut.

Take full deck control demos ( where you show a deck back in its original order ), while the Zarrow is used in this alot, a well constructed effect would include touches that the deck is indeed mixed, which is why the Zarrow is usually done after some push-throughs and strip outs, and done quickly as "more quick shuffles", as a throw off.

These are obviously tiny details, but to me are important. But again, this is why people who're not going for deep study of the subject settle for Zarrows :)

Thats when we're talking about them as full deck controls, the principles are varied as you go into riffle shuffle work ( block transfers ...etc ), which not alot of people take time to study lol

Cheers,

You're right. I admit it. But I still disagree.

My philosophy of magic is that one should be less ostentatious. I never want people to notice me shuffling. Or rather, I never want people to be consciously aware that I'm shuffling the deck. In other words, I try to never put myself in situations in which people are burning my hands as I shuffle.

Probably the one exception is when I do a tabled Triumph. I use a Zarrow shuffle to accomplish this and the point of the trick is for people to see that I'm honestly and fairly coalescing a face up and a face down packet of cards. But again, I don't put myself in a situation in which I force my spectators to look at the fairness of the shuffle. Because there's not supposed to be anything special about it. It's just a shuffle.

I reiterate that I'm a firm believer that one really only needs one false shuffle (and maybe between 2 and 36,000 false cuts). I think that using only one method to shuffle reinforced the idea that it's just a shuffle. It's a natural action and I don't draw attention to it.

Sep 3, 2007

Cheers,

I ended up just ordering it. Although I already know the moves taught there are a couple of points that made it worth the 10 bucks. It's good also to have a reference of what it should look like when done properly.

Thanks.

Sep 3, 2007
You're right. I admit it. But I still disagree.

My philosophy of magic is that one should be less ostentatious. I never want people to notice me shuffling. Or rather, I never want people to be consciously aware that I'm shuffling the deck. In other words, I try to never put myself in situations in which people are burning my hands as I shuffle.

Probably the one exception is when I do a tabled Triumph. I use a Zarrow shuffle to accomplish this and the point of the trick is for people to see that I'm honestly and fairly coalescing a face up and a face down packet of cards. But again, I don't put myself in a situation in which I force my spectators to look at the fairness of the shuffle. Because there's not supposed to be anything special about it. It's just a shuffle.

I reiterate that I'm a firm believer that one really only needs one false shuffle (and maybe between 2 and 36,000 false cuts). I think that using only one method to shuffle reinforced the idea that it's just a shuffle. It's a natural action and I don't draw attention to it.

Yes, it's just a shuffle and that's the type of feeling that we should give off. But you have to admit that once you start revealing those Aces people are going to start burning your shuffles. I think mainly the Zarrow is perfect for what you're talking about but then there are times when people are more focused on if you're controlling cards in some way.

I would generally only use the Zarrow because I don't really focus on gambling or card control demonstrations. But it's good to know the push-through anyhow, it's one of those things that you may never use but find yourself practicing now and then anyhow. At least for me.

Practicing a variety of techniques always seems to make overall handling better.

Oct 9, 2007
I do not understand your statement...

There are different types of learners, Auditory, Visual or Kinesthetic....

Some people learn more effectively by watching a video, whereas some people learn it easier by watching a video...

What is your point?

To be honest, Im dilexic and it takes me ages to understand what is being said through text. That being said, I think I'm able to write quite clearly.

I think the whole Auditory/Vusual/Kinesthetic argument is total rubbish. It's down to pure laziness wether or not someone can learn through reading a book or watching a video. Personally, I prefer learning something by means of a book as it gives you a sense of acheivment.

Watching a video is much easier than learning something by reading about it, people nowadays want things fed to them by the quickest and easiest way method avalable to them. I'm not against instant downloads, I just think some things should be kept how they were first taught.. through books.

Sep 3, 2007
To be honest, Im dilexic and it takes me ages to understand what is being said through text. That being said, I think I'm able to write quite clearly.

I think the whole Auditory/Vusual/Kinesthetic argument is total rubbish. It's down to pure laziness wether or not someone can learn through reading a book or watching a video. Personally, I prefer learning something by means of a book as it gives you a sense of acheivment.

Watching a video is much easier than learning something by reading about it, people nowadays want things fed to them by the quickest and easiest way method avalable to them. I'm not against instant downloads, I just think some things should be kept how they were first taught.. through books.

Welcome to the 21st century Asuka.

I do that too, which is why I mentioned the full-deck control as an example, since the emphasis is on the shuffle itself. Same thing going for Triumph, which I think its vital to SHOW ( NOT SAY, with some exceptions ) that the deck IS interlaced, which you can do with the Zarrow ( if you know the touch ;) ) but I prefer doing a push through because the interlace looks real, and there are added touches that makes it look very very good, which is why I still think the original Vernon Triumph method is one of the very best.

Keep in mind also that you're talking to a guy who misdirects the spectators strongly while doing the pass even though his pass is totally burnable :p

If you ordered the 1-on-1 ( I didn't!), that wasn't my point Fans!, the idea is to know that these are two PRINCIPLES in riffle shuffle work. Pretty much as some controls, you could cull a card to the bottom or do a Diagonal Palm Shift to the bottom, both do the same thing, but completely different in principle.

Cheers!

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think one key point about the usefulness of the push-through shuffle, is it provides a grounding in riffle shuffle strip-out technique, which can be applied to many more complex shuffles and used in many more applications than a simple full-deck control.

Sep 2, 2007
This vid is pretty good and worht the ten bucks. Jason really gives you a detailed outlook on how the push through shuffle is done. Card techniques that gambler's use hasalways intrigued me because of the finesse and usefulness they have. I'm really looking forward to more stuff from Jason.

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I've done a lot of thinking on this subject and my take is as follows: when it comes to learning difficult sleight-of-hand techniques (as opposed to some relatively simple procedural effect), the original medium doesn't make much difference.

When it's all said and done, you can can read a page or two out of a book and practice a push-through shuffle (or bottom or second deal) for 2 - 5 years, or you can watch a video and then practice for 2 - 5 years.

It isn't as if the video source dramatically speeds up the learning process. Regardless of how you first were exposed to the information, 99% of the actual learning takes place after you set that original source aside and begin practicing the move on your own.

Jason

Reactions: JohnB11124
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results