Thread Impromptu?

Dec 11, 2007
Lebanon, Bierut
well you will have to buy it to know;)
ummm i kinda know how it works so i know how impromptu it is...
but i dont know how to describe it, since i am afraid i blow the secret away..

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
There is setup involved before hand, and you will have to know that you are going to perform thread sometime that day. One method is more convienent. I would say that is is pretty improptu as long as you keep what you need with you all the time, if you know you're going to perform, make sure you have it that day.

So, not exactly improptu, but not inconvinent to make it seem that way.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
It is impromtu although there is a slight setup.

So wouldn't that mean... it's not impromptu? :confused: My definition of impromptu is being able to do it on the spot, anywhere, anytime, with any prop that you need for the trick (i.e. any piece of thread, any deck of cards, any coin, etc.). If there's set-up, this doesn't match that definition... for me, anyway.

ZimFasa

Banned
Jul 28, 2008
So wouldn't that mean... it's not impromptu? :confused: My definition of impromptu is being able to do it on the spot, anywhere, anytime, with any prop that you need for the trick (i.e. any piece of thread, any deck of cards, any coin, etc.). If there's set-up, this doesn't match that definition... for me, anyway.

So no, for that definition its not 100% impromptu. it's very easily set up though if you have what you need and you know you're going to perform, which you should, because you should be performing on your terms.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007

oh ok. Well if I'm not misaken the "official" meaning of impromtu is no gimmicks. It has no gimmicks.

Sep 2, 2007
oh ok. Well if I'm not misaken the "official" meaning of impromtu is no gimmicks. It has no gimmicks.

Actually. the dictionary defines it as:
1. made or done without previous preparation: an impromptu address to the unexpected crowds.
2. suddenly or hastily prepared, made, etc.: an impromptu dinner.
3. improvised; having the character of an improvisation.
–adverb
4. without preparation: verses written impromptu.
–noun
5. something impromptu; an impromptu speech, musical composition, performance, etc.
6. a character piece for piano common in the 19th century and having, despite its title, a clear-cut form.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe

I think the definition post proves me right. However, I want to clarify something- I wasn't in any way implying that Thread is a bad effect simply because it requires setup- nothing is further from the truth, by the looks of reviews I've read. I just don't think anything requiring set-up can be classified as "impromptu". Even card tricks that just require one specific card on the top of the deck, I don't consider impromptu.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Even card tricks that just require one specific card on the top of the deck, I don't consider impromptu.

I beg to differ in this aspect, if I am handed a deck of cards, I could do an 'impromptu' trick that required a certain card on top quite easily. Take Hoffzy Osbourne for example, minor setup. Yet in the Trilogy, a method is taught so that you can do it on the fly. I would class it as impromptu; it still uses a setup. Just my thoughts...

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I beg to differ in this aspect, if I am handed a deck of cards, I could do an 'impromptu' trick that required a certain card on top quite easily. Take Hoffzy Osbourne for example, minor setup. Yet in the Trilogy, a method is taught so that you can do it on the fly. I would class it as impromptu; it still uses a setup. Just my thoughts...

I can sort of agree with you there, and to an extent, I guess I would classify certain set-ups as "impromptu", but usually if there's any setup at all I wouldn't classify it as impromptu. But I definitely see where you're coming from.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results