• I download magic for free often.

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • I download magic for free occasionally

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I downloaded magic for free before but no longer do so

Votes: 35 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will be very honest I do download magic occasionally, I am quite sick of buying 30-60 dollar dvds and have them be complete crap. I look at it like this, if you go to a magic shop you can watch or preview the book or effect before you buy, Unfortunately that isn't the case with internet.

I am actually happy I do it in some cases because it saves me from buying something I would regret. Cough cough ellusionist cough cough products stink never bought or use anything they sell in dvd format. That doesn't include the things they didn't directly produce. It has also persuaded me to buy dvd's and effects such as Wounded. I only got to see the first version of the stigmata and was like "dude I need to get this." and I bought the dvd. I still perform it.

3/4 of the stuff I download gets deleted almost immediately either because I will never use it or I just plain do not like it.

Well there you go,

I guess I am going to be the only one to admit they still do it.

I confess

I have downloaded over 30 dvd's .Why?Simple...I am from Romania,this country pretty sucks,we don't even have bicycle cards,only plastic ****s,I don't even know how does a magic store looks like.

Even though,there are some ways to buy the dvd's ,I don't think it is ok to buy them 3 or 4 times bigger price.

Ok...I think that is it...

I will be very honest I do download magic occasionally, I am quite sick of buying 30-60 dollar dvds and have them be complete crap. I look at it like this, if you go to a magic shop you can watch or preview the book or effect before you buy, Unfortunately that isn't the case with internet.

I am actually happy I do it in some cases because it saves me from buying something I would regret. Cough cough ellusionist cough cough products stink never bought or use anything they sell in dvd format. That doesn't include the things they didn't directly produce. It has also persuaded me to buy dvd's and effects such as Wounded. I only got to see the first version of the stigmata and was like "dude I need to get this." and I bought the dvd. I still perform it.

3/4 of the stuff I download gets deleted almost immediately either because I will never use it or I just plain do not like it.

Well there you go,

I guess I am going to be the only one to admit they still do it.
Why are Ellusionist products in general crap to everyone here. If any of the DVDs from E were sold here you would ****ing love them. Why does everyone on this forum have a hate for E?

JDEN

Dec 7, 2007
New Zealand
i used to before, i deeply regret it and i have stopped. Im trying to save up money for the stuff i downloaded (unless it was crap)

Same here. I guess it's how most people start out in magic. See a trick that they like, search for "_____ revealed", and then eventually get hooked in on piracy. Then they here about sites like T11 and E and, when the start surfing the forums, realise that piracy and exposure is wrong, and then see the faults in their ways. I know this doesn't apply to everyone but I think it applies to most people here. Just my thoughts.

Jul 10, 2008
I believe it's a click thing. Like little magic internet gangs. Don't cross either line or there will be hell to pay.

Seriously though, all I ever hear (or read I guess more appropriate here) is that E is so terrible because their prices are too high. But one needs to understand that they are a business and business' stay alive by making money. Saying that their products are crap is illogical too. They have some that are just like everyone else, and they have many that are good to great. But hey, if one wants to cut ties with a great company that's up to them. My top three are T11, E, and MJM. I stopped visiting Penguin years ago because their customer service is terrible, at least in my experience.

Why are Ellusionist products in general crap to everyone here. If any of the DVDs from E were sold here you would ****ing love them. Why does everyone on this forum have a hate for E?

JDEN

wooohh cool your jets, no really they are starting to melt benders face.

Any who I havn't liked ellusionist from the beginning, I didn't think it was right to sell a dvd that was grossly overpriced about basic card techniques. Also have you looked at some of the products they have put out? Mindbender is one of them that come to mind.
Furthermore to state that everyone on this forum hates ellusionist is a very BOLD statement, you obviously like ellusionist and you are on this forum, and since you are here, and I know a few others who actually love both sites.
Listen I do not like a lot of online magic shops simply because of service or what have you.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I have downloaded over 30 dvd's .Why?Simple...I am from Romania,this country pretty sucks,we don't even have bicycle cards,only plastic ****s,I don't even know how does a magic store looks like.

Even though,there are some ways to buy the dvd's ,I don't think it is ok to buy them 3 or 4 times bigger price.

Ok...I think that is it...
Same here...
If I want to buy a 30$ DVD, it would actually cost me 200$ to come to my house, because I don't have a magic store in my country. So I LOVE that almost every new effect that comes out, also comes as a download format. And I DO pay for those... I hope that "andthensome" will also come as download format...
Mindbender is one of them that come to mind.
Actually, Mindbender is more powerful than you think. It can be presented as a strong mentalism effect, or some vudu spirit ****. Once, this guy start crying when I showed him mindbender, because his son died recently. I presented it as a spiritual thing, and he believed me that I can actually do it, because he also believes in those kind of stuff. All I'm saying is that even "Killer Spies" can be great effect in right situation.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Are we to then believe that half the members on these forums have never downloaded? Of course not, what a load of crap. But anonymous or not, the large majority of those who do will not vote here. Those who have never though, are proud of it and are more likely to post here. The large majority of magic I own has been bought, even when I started; nonetheless, when I first started, the odd magic product was downloaded.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I have downloaded quite a few (6-7) DVDs in the past. They are mostly DVDs I have heard nothing but bad about or seem to think would be extremely bad. E.G Simon Lovell's Million Dollar Card Magic, Sankey's later products, etc. But I buy the things i know i will enjoy and will watch a lot of times such as The Trilogy, Dangerous, Real Secrets of Magic, etc. Some people will say "why download it if you dont think it is good." but comeon, its like right there in your bleeping face. Dont you get a little curious, but not want to spend 30 dollars on nothing?

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Yes,
I do download magic, for one reasons:

I mostly have to pay A LOT of shipping.

I will never download things like The trilogy or Dangerous, TOoC (in future), because mostly they are in really bad quality and you don't learn anything of little pixels on your screen :)

Also I will buy every DVD or Book I downloaded when I have the money.

D21400

Sep 1, 2007
We can wax nobility and economic chivalry all we want, but that ignores moral relativism. It's a very close-minded perspective.

Now, I don't use torrents to get magic and mentalism resources anymore. However, I do have a source to which I can turn whenever I want to get numerous classic books for free. I have used this source, and I plan to continue using it in the future. In fact, I am going to recommend my students to use it as well.

Now I ask you the community: Is that the wrong thing to do?

Hmm... No one seems to have taken the bait. Perhaps they're not as gullible as I assumed.

Well, as long as I'm thinking of it, anybody who was thinking of telling me that I'm wrong in doing what was described above would have just condemned the use of a public library.

It's funny to me how all the individual stories here have chased off the moral high horses.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
Hmm... No one seems to have taken the bait. Perhaps they're not as gullible as I assumed.

Well, as long as I'm thinking of it, anybody who was thinking of telling me that I'm wrong in doing what was described above would have just condemned the use of a public library.

It's funny to me how all the individual stories here have chased off the moral high horses.

Haha, I was waiting for someone to snap at you for free resources.

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan

[Just playing Devils Advocate here, I think this could be a very interesting conversation]

Libraries are very different from pirated films. Libraries as an agent for free books are great, but if I go to the library and get a book, I must to return said book or I will be fined. I cannot make duplicates of that book and I cannot give them away for free, that would be a copyright violation. This is what I understand torrents to do, they are not simply a way to get some free media that you must return when you're finished. You are essentially copying the media and giving it for free. That is against the law.

[Just playing Devils Advocate here, I think this could be a very interesting conversation]

Libraries are very different from pirated films. Libraries as an agent for free books are great, but if I go to the library and get a book, I must to return said book or I will be fined. I cannot make duplicates of that book and I cannot give them away for free, that would be a copyright violation. This is what I understand torrents to do, they are not simply a way to get some free media that you must return when you're finished. You are essentially copying the media and giving it for free. That is against the law.

Also, books CANNOT be put into a Library without the author/owner of that book's consent. Not so with torrents.

That said, I've downloaded a few of them in my time too.

Aug 18, 2008
Not yet and I don't plan on it in the future but no one can say never.You never know what you will do until you are in the right situation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results