Dark Music

Sep 1, 2007
Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate are my two picks. Nox Arcana have fewer sound effects though, so they'd probably be more appropriate. Necronomicon and Carnival of Lost Souls would be my two favorites.

May I ask, what are you planning to use this for?

Jan 30, 2009
Your request leaves tons of wiggle room. Could be dark terrifying grindcore ala Pig Destroyer, or Dark cold landscapes ala Autechre, Dark ambient insomnia music via Coil...

Sep 1, 2007
Your request leaves tons of wiggle room. Could be dark terrifying grindcore ala Pig Destroyer, or Dark cold landscapes ala Autechre, Dark ambient insomnia music via Coil...

He did leave the qualifier of "sinister", which would rule out Pig Destroyer, Cannibal Corpse, Necrophagist, Children of Bodom, Immortal, Arch Enemy, and Darkthrone to name a few. I wouldn't describe any of those bands as sinister. Brutal, perhaps. Certainly intense. But they lack the subtlety to be sinister.

If we're going with something other than soundtrack music a la Nox Arcana, then there are still plenty of options. Anders Manga, Candlemass, Esoteric, Funeral, Opeth, and Type O Negative come to mind.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
You probably own it already but The Dark Knight soundtrack is freaking sweet. Really dark, intense music. Check it out if you haven't before.

Sep 1, 2007
Just wantin some good music for some videos I am thinkin of makin and some good music to practice to

That narrows things down a bit, but still needs more context.

For practice, Nox Arcana would be better as it's less distracting and more ambient. There are times when brainstorming that I prefer to put that sort of thing on my iTunes and let the free association of ideas go.

For videos, it's heavily dependent on the performance. If you intend to speak (which would be a welcome switch from all the mute wannabes I see floating around cyberspace), no lyrics. Instrumentals. If you aren't going to talk, don't just stick a random song in there. I once saw a knife manipulation video with Iron Maiden as the soundtrack. Not the best choice, but still a decent one.

Examples... Off the top of my head, a routine that somehow involves bleeding would be good to set to Wolf Moon by Type O Negative, which talks about blood a lot, but for reasons that I cannot disclose in public because it's incredibly taboo.

Sep 1, 2007
Also from what CringeMagic22 said I am lookin also for emo sounding stuff

Well, that raises a new question. By emo, do you mean the bands MTV thinks are emo like My Chemical Romance, The Used, Bullet for my Valentine, and Hawthorne Heights? Or do you mean the real emo bands like Rites of Spring, Moss Icon, City of the Caterpillar, and Circle Takes the Square?

Just want a clarification because the two concepts of emo could not be more different if they tried.

Jan 30, 2009
Take one step away from emo and try M83. They have some really amazing, mellow and imho sinister sounding shoegazer stuff.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results