Robert Greene and Magic - Vol 2

Sep 1, 2007
Strategy 11 - Trade Space for Time: The Nonengagement Strategy

Strategy number 11 from Greene's "The 33 Strategies of War". In essence, it is the strategy of retreat.

Mainstream wisdom holds that retreat is cowardly, dishonorable, and shameful. It is the telltale sign of failure and weakness. When you retreat or fail to engage, the enemy has won. Instead, we are encouraged to fight tooth and nail to the bitter end. Even if it means a crushing defeat against superior forces, we're told that we at least "died like a man" as if that is supposed to make up for the fact that you died at all.

In reality, the strategy of nonengagement is a tactic used throughout history by some of the most brilliant leaders of all time. A strategic withdrawal allows the chance to continue the battle on your own terms when and where you decide upon. Some will view you as a coward. But this can be used to your advantage. They will underestimate you and you'll be better able to take them by surprise.

Furthermore, most people are actually rather aggressive by nature. They just may not show it because they doubt their odds of success. Seeing a retreating foe however, they will become emboldened and strike out with all their pent up aggression. And the reality is that this actually makes them more vulnerable because they aren't thinking as clearly.

In that regard, mainstream thinking can also be turned against the aggressor. A man who continues to doggedly pursue a wounded and retreating foe is sometimes seen as a sadist, a loose cannon as dangerous to friends as he is to his enemies. He shouldn't be trusted because he's actually mentally weak and lacks control over his emotions. Few things can destroy morale in a group faster than seeing the alpha male/female acting in a decidedly non-alpha manner.

How does this apply to magic? I think you all can see by now where I'm going with this.

Sep 3, 2007
Are you saying you should know when to stop?

For example: Don't keep performing if they're heckling you. or Knowing how long your tricks should be in a routine.

I agree that what you're saying is important. But there is a different between retreating and giving up. A retreat in order to get superior position, regroup your troops, or wait for reinforcements is not a surrender. So here's something I came up with:

"Never back down, unless you need a running start."

Sep 1, 2007
I agree that what you're saying is important. But there is a different between retreating and giving up.

Which is part of the point. Many people do not see that distinction.

Centuries ago, Genghis Khan recognized the tendency of Westerners to shun retreat and tactical withdrawal. They viewed it as a sign of cowardice and weakness. In response, he used tactical retreats frequently in battle to deceive his enemies into pursuing his armies into a trap or giving up the advantage of their location in favor of pushing the attack.

For magicians the most obvious application here is to make a tactical retreat when a heckler is being persistent. But there are deeper lessons to be learned here.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Or you could simply ignore the heckler and treat him like a little kid who mouths off. "Go sit in the corner till you feel like acting like an adult."

Jan 21, 2009
How does this apply to magic? I think you all can see by now where I'm going with this.

Righto. I'm trying to understand what you mean by this short exposition into retreat, but I can't see where it would fit into a performance of magic. In practice, yes. In rhythm, perhaps. But in the context of an actual performance, I don't quite understand what you mean.

Further clarification would be appreciated.

Sep 1, 2007
Or you could simply ignore the heckler and treat him like a little kid who mouths off. "Go sit in the corner till you feel like acting like an adult."

Thank you for proving my point.

There are times though when I hate being right.

Righto. I'm trying to understand what you mean by this short exposition into retreat, but I can't see where it would fit into a performance of magic. In practice, yes. In rhythm, perhaps. But in the context of an actual performance, I don't quite understand what you mean.

Further clarification would be appreciated.

Read past the first post.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Something I don't believe anyone has mentioned yet; I interpret the last paragraph to mean for magic that the magician should always have control over his performance, and he should always maintain his authority as a magician. The moment he lashes out at a spectator, the moment he alienates, derides, embarrassed or otherwise insults someone, he loses his crucial status. He is no longer the one in control, the one entertaining and astonishing audiences, but he becomes rather common, and the rest of the audience can be quick to lose interest, seeing what happens to a fellow spectator - so tread carefully.

Going upwards to the second last paragraph: also, when dealing with hecklers - the moment you lose your cool, the moment you allow frustration to build up and show, is the beginning of when you start to lose control of your performance; your aim becomes focussed on one person, on the one heckler, rather than the audience in general; you lose sight of your objective, and what you're actually trying to do and how best to do it.

Jumping to the first paragraph, I think this also points to the average magician's tendency to refuse to look at their own actions. When we encounter a heckler, we engage them and all too often we get shut down because of it. But what happens next? We say, "Oh, it was that bloody heckler." "Oh, there were a few hecklers that ruined the magic." "It's the heckler's fault". Too often, we use this as an excuse for our failure - as if it makes up for the fact that we ****ed up, we made a mistake, we could have done better, but no we choose to accept failure, like the man who died like a man, we choose to accept death, we choose to accept the excuse of the heckler, rather than looking at what we actually did wrong.

Aaaand last of all to the second paragraph (sorry guys - this is the order I thought of these points) - I think we could learn from this that we could consider, rather than feeling threatened immediately, a thoughtful response to hecklers. What does this mean? Hecklers are still audience members. Can hecklers be entertained? A lot of the time, yes. So rather than just thinking, "It's a heckler - shut him down quick!" - consider letting it go - don't engage them. Rather, astonish them afterwards. Keep performing magic, keep performing the inexplicable. Give the rest of the audience time to deal with the heckler themselves, if they so wish. The heckler may feel that he has won - before you pull out something even more astonishing. Of course, all this is based on the assumption (which is probably not a good thing) that you've actually practiced enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
One thing to remember is that Hecklers and I mean REAL hecklers are rare (and there is a special level a hell for them as well.) Most of the time people who get hecklers will either end up with Tough Cookies or challengers. Which are people who take what you do as a challenge to them. Which can come from different things. You either have a challenging attitude or an attitude like Brian Tudor. Which would cause people to act like asses toward you.

Most of the time, if you are friendly, funny, charming and put on a good show. Most people (90%) will tend to enjoy it and go with the flow.

Sep 3, 2007
This reminds me of the scene in Batman Begins.
Where they are fighting on the ice.

You know what I mean?

"Always mind your surroundings"

Other than heckling, a way you can use it is when you hustle people. Showing weakness so that they'll bet agressively into you and then you take them.

I guess this all goes into your attitude of performing. Non-confrontational, but still alert and sharp. You appear to lower the standards and catch them off guard. (a kicker ending?)

Sep 1, 2007
Going upwards to the second last paragraph: also, when dealing with hecklers - the moment you lose your cool, the moment you allow frustration to build up and show, is the beginning of when you start to lose control of your performance; your aim becomes focussed on one person, on the one heckler, rather than the audience in general; you lose sight of your objective, and what you're actually trying to do and how best to do it.

And thus you engage your opponent in his territory where he has the advantage.

If you have the higher ground, why give it up?

I guess this all goes into your attitude of performing. Non-confrontational, but still alert and sharp. You appear to lower the standards and catch them off guard. (a kicker ending?)

Now there's an interesting perspective.

I kinda see it in one way, and I could be off base, but it's like laughter. You make a joke, the joke is not to get a laugh, but to disarm your spectator. They laugh, they feel a little more at ease, suddenly they're not burning your hands anymore. That leaves them open for an attack. In the same way, a mistake. Take Lennart Green for an example, when he was on TED. He sits down with a deck of cards, and starts dropping them all over the place (Laughter). Then basically says he's going to deal a five person game of poker, number three will have the best hand. People are amazed "Oh wow, look at that.". Then he shows, that number two beats number three with a stronger full house, number one beats him with four of a kind, number four beats him with a straight flush in order, and he wins with a Royal Flush... in order (Attack).

I mention this because imo it's a great example of what you can do with this idea. Let them have this moment, the only importance of it is that they believe it's theirs. And belief, is a very powerful thing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results