What's With the "Kewl" Titles?

D

Deleted member 2755

Honestly.... Who cares if the titles are one word?.... How does it effect you at all?:rolleyes:

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
... *staggers in pain* Please, don't hold back, I need a good laugh :p.

I'll try and boil it down to a sentence.

The cult of personality on this site is such that Dan and Dave could release a home movie of themselves throwing cards into a baseball cap while stoned out of their friggin' minds and it would sell like Harry Potter.

Jan 30, 2009

The cult of personality on this site is such that Dan and Dave could release a home movie of themselves throwing cards into a baseball cap while stoned out of their friggin' minds and it would sell like Harry Potter.

I would buy that. If they were sober I would pass.

Nov 8, 2007
It's definitely not a big deal in any way, but since it's been brought up...

I like the quality of the effects T11 puts out, and overall enjoy the work of the artists here, but most of the titles are really bad--"Believe," "Riot," "Witness," "Panic"--they're not unlike all the bland, easily forgotten movie titles we see each and every year. Actually, they sound more like vague cologne titles.

Simple. I'll explain the answer to you using only one word. "Marketing".

T11 and it's red headed step brother Ellusionist both market magic tricks to predomenitly the 10-20 age group. Their model presents magic in a cutting edge, real, underground sort of way with emphasis to the cards and coins street magic popularized by Blaine and Angel. It's not ironic at all that these two pros and their effects/ style are all the rage with the same demographics.

So if it sounds cool and has a cool edgy name to it then it will probably sell like hotcakes to their market (the E-Generation).

Ha, I can't argue that. While I happen to look at their magic because it's pure slight of hand, and i'm not big on gimmicks right now, i'm fully aware that there are a fair amount of people out there who will simply buy their stuff because it is, Dan & Dave. Oh, the humanity :p.

It's definitely not a big deal in any way, but since it's been brought up...

I like the quality of the effects T11 puts out, and overall enjoy the work of the artists here, but most of the titles are really bad--"Believe," "Riot," "Witness," "Panic"--they're not unlike all the bland, easily forgotten movie titles we see each and every year. Actually, they sound more like vague cologne titles.

I'd buy Panic and Riot Cologne. That also reminds me (not to try and get too off topic here, but it's a laugh.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...urger-King-releases-meat-scented-cologne.html

Nothing like a Dab of Flame Broiled Cow Meat behind your ears before you head out on your way to try and mate with some poor soul.

Now if only we got a little tag that also has a poem about the effect under it's release date, we're set.

-ThrallMind

*Shakes Head* No... No, I couldn't resist. That's to much temptation.

A move so Dangerous, Panic indeed
"I'll gain a nice Prophet, my mouth it will feed"
Watch your money online, Digitaly Disolve
But before people Riot, it'll all be resolved
You try to Believe, that you have Control
But soon you'll bear Witness, to how easy that falls
Whatever you do, don't take it from me
Wait for The Fourth Disc, to The Trilogy

Last edited by a moderator:

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Thought I'd jump in and offer a response to this one. I don't understand much of the negativity in a few of the posts in this thread - many of which are unnecessarily condescending and disrespectful.

Simply put, our artists name effects whatever they want. It's their effect - they can name it however they like. Like Coldplay's new album? Chris Martin didn't call it "A Collection of Songs On A Compact Disc." He called it "Viva la Vida." Why? Because it had a meaning to him. Because he wanted to. And because it's HIS album.

For the vast majority of our effects, there is some meaning or inside story behind each name, but I'll save that for another thread and another day.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Yes, they want a name which stands out, they don't let the name show the trick, they let the video show the trick. Think about it, what stands out: "Riot" or "A simple card trick in which a card moves from the center to the top and it looks pretty cool". Well that's kind of long, but hopefully you catch my drift.

For the vast majority of our effects, there is some meaning or inside story behind each name, but I'll save that for another thread and another day.

Honestly, I wish you wouldn't. Sounds like it could be very interesting. Personally, i've already expressed that I don't really have a dislike for any of the names. To each his own.

Yes, they want a name which stands out, they don't let the name show the trick, they let the video show the trick. Think about it, what stands out: "Riot" or "A simple card trick in which a card moves from the center to the top and it looks pretty cool". Well that's kind of long, but hopefully you catch my drift.

Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that most people's grasp on the English language is so poor that the only titles they can think of are either clunky descriptions of action or a single word with 2 or 3 syllables?

imo, had to be done.

Sep 1, 2007
Simply put, our artists name effects whatever they want. It's their effect - they can name it however they like. Like Coldplay's new album? Chris Martin didn't call it "A Collection of Songs On A Compact Disc." He called it "Viva la Vida." Why? Because it had a meaning to him. Because he wanted to. And because it's HIS album.

Again, I'm baffled with the assertion that there is no middleground.

but I'll save that for another thread and another day.

Don't. I'd like an explanation for why all releases are thematically titled to inside jokes.

And if you're going to make the argument that there is an artistic merit to the titling, it would help to give the rest of us something to go on. You don't just throw paint on a canvas and say, "Figure this out, jerk-offs." Well... not unless you're Jackson Pollock.

Hell, even Rush's lyrics can be decoded to an extent.

Dec 29, 2008
GA
I like how distortion fits because when the pips move, the laymen think their vision is distorted or something of that nature.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
The way I see it, the modern titles reflect modern magic. This saddens me. The problem is this, the titles really do give a very good description of the effect. In your face, visual, and over quickly. Jon, about your point; 'Viva la Vida'. That is a name that would sell me a music CD. There is something inherently beautiful and graceful about that name, about how it sounds. Say it aloud. It works. That's what people want from music, something that sounds good. Magic is the same, for me. Compare the names of two tricks: 'Dream of Aces' and 'Panic'. The first definitely sounds a lot nicer, more flowing, more beautiful. And this trick is a thing of beauty when done correctly. I don't think I could ever consider Panic beautiful, just by it's nature. It's flashy, visual and over too quickly. Like the name. Two syllables, and two very sharp sounding ones at that. This trick has lost all it's beauty and magic for pure shock. And yes, whilst shock gets reactions, people won't go away and remember the time you made a deck vanish.

Let's take another crazily beautiful trick, Zamiel's Rose. Lovely name, lovely trick. What if it was called 'Gone'? It would does this appeal to you even half as much? Certainly not to me. Of course, this is just me, and I realize that Theory11 is probably trying to appeal more to the 'ultra cool new street magic' people that love visuals and flourishes and consider quick tricks and shock effects far better than sitting down and pattering to your spectator Ricky Jayesque. And the fact that so many people fit this category upsets me a little. Especially because, until quite recently, I fitted into this group. But I've opened my eyes a little more to the possibilities, and personally I consider this type of magic to have lost all magic. It isn't beautiful. It's flashy and showy and just upsets me. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, and I realize that this has slowly turned from a comment about trick names to a rant about modern day magic as a whole, but I really think that it is a very important issue. If this is your style, fine. By all means keep it. I won't hunt you down and throw turnips at your head for it. But I would really recommend taking a look at some older magic videos, really watch them and see how it affects you.
Dan and Dave impress me. Dai Vernon amazes me. I know which I'd rather do.

...Anyway, back on topic people. Lest I set my fanged enchiladas on you. Then you'll be sorry...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 30, 2009
The way I see it, the modern titles reflect modern magic. This saddens me. The problem is this, the titles really do give a very good description of the effect. In your face, visual, and over quickly. Jon, about your point; 'Viva la Vida'. That is a name that would sell me a music CD. There is something inherantly beautiful and graceful about that name, about how it sounds. Say it aloud. It works. That's what people want from music, something that sounds good. Magic is the same, for me. Compare the names of two tricks: 'Dream of Aces' and 'Panic'. The first definitely sounds a lot nicer, more flowing, more beautiful. And this trick is a thing of beauty when done correctly. I don't think I could ever consider Panic beautiful, just by it's nature. It's flashy, visual and over too quickly. Like the name. Two syllables, and two very sharp sounding ones at that. This trick has lost all it's beauty and magic for pure shock. And yes, whilst shock gets reactions, people won't go away and remember the time you made a deck vanish.

Flow follows alot of your modern magic rules, but is still beautiful. Technically it's an old effect with a modern method, but aren't alot of these effects?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results