Cookie Cutter by Dan Sperry Review

Sep 1, 2007
Finally a one-on-one that is a mental effect and it's a damn good one at that!

Title and Creator: Cookie Cutter by Dan Sperry

Effect: Award winning performer and creator Dan Sperry presents his delicious take on the classic Russian Roulette routine. A razor blade is placed in one of four Oreo cookies chosen by a spectator. With your back turned, the cookies are mixed, and in a twisted display of clairvoyance you are able to accurately determine which cookie the blade resides in.

Price: $9.95

Where: Theory11 one-on-one

Teaching: The quality of the teaching/instructions was perfect! The video quality was perfect! Very easy to understand.

Materials Some Oreo cookies (any cookie similar to an an Oreo will work) and something to shove inside one of them.

Difficulty: On a scale from 1-10 this is a 1 as far as technical skill goes. However, it is a mental effect and is simple. You will need great presentational skills in order to get that great reacton.

Applications: There are so many ways you can present this. You can do it with a bit of comedy or serious. You can eat the cookies. The spectator can eat the cookies. This is one of those peices that you can inject all of your own personality in and really make your own.

Overall Rating: 10 out of 10

Closing Comments: I've been a professional mentalist for years and have performed the Russian Roulette routine for years. However, this is by far the most fun version I have ever seen. This will be going right into my show! If you are a mentalist do not hesitate to buy this. I would love to thank Dan for sharing this with us!

If you guys have any questions about this effect feel free to ask!

Aug 18, 2008
Finally a one-on-one that is a mental effect and it's a damn good one at that!

Title and Creator: Cookie Cutter by Dan Sperry

Effect: Award winning performer and creator Dan Sperry presents his delicious take on the classic Russian Roulette routine. A razor blade is placed in one of four Oreo cookies chosen by a spectator. With your back turned, the cookies are mixed, and in a twisted display of clairvoyance you are able to accurately determine which cookie the blade resides in.

Price: $9.95

Where: Theory11 one-on-one

Teaching: The quality of the teaching/instructions was perfect! The video quality was perfect! Very easy to understand.

Materials Some Oreo cookies (any cookie similar to an an Oreo will work) and something to shove inside one of them.

Difficulty: On a scale from 1-10 this is a 1 as far as technical skill goes. However, it is a mental effect and is simple. You will need great presentational skills in order to get that great reacton.

Applications: There are so many ways you can present this. You can do it with a bit of comedy or serious. You can eat the cookies. The spectator can eat the cookies. This is one of those peices that you can inject all of your own personality in and really make your own.

Overall Rating: 10 out of 10

Closing Comments: I've been a professional mentalist for years and have performed the Russian Roulette routine for years. However, this is by far the most fun version I have ever seen. This will be going right into my show! If you are a mentalist do not hesitate to buy this. I would love to thank Dan for sharing this with us!

If you guys have any questions about this effect feel free to ask!

Good review...I just dont think letting the spectators eat the cookies is a great idea..

Sep 1, 2007
You CAN let the spectators eat the cookies BUT I personally do not do it that way either. I think it is a bad idea. Plus, they can slow down the tempo of the performance and things like that. Best to just eat it yourself!

Sep 1, 2007
This is such a cool effect. Great to see these kinds of 1on1's.

I think so too! Every week I recommend a mentalism one-on-one and every week I am let down. Now we dihave had Blind and Election within the last few weeks. However, they are still with cards. It is so nice to see a piece of mentalism that doesn't involve cards. I am loving this. Thank you Dan and Theory11!

Sep 4, 2007
You CAN let the spectators eat the cookies BUT I personally do not do it that way either. I think it is a bad idea. Plus, they can slow down the tempo of the performance and things like that. Best to just eat it yourself!

Personally I disagree. One of the most tense, mysterious and entertaining routines that Derren Brown has done invovles four spectators and a small chocolate cake that each of them chooses randomly out of a pile. The 5th one, that goes un-eaten by the four spectators contains the razor blade, baked right in.

I think with the right presentation, having the spectators eat the cookie, would be extremely effective mentalism.

urban

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Do you have to use Oreo cookies on this?

Quote-Materials Some Oreo cookies (any cookie similar to an an Oreo will work) and something to shove inside one of them.-UnQuote

I'm guessing something that's at least similar to Oreos will work for this effect, although I don't own the effect.

Sep 3, 2007
Quote-Materials Some Oreo cookies (any cookie similar to an an Oreo will work) and something to shove inside one of them.-UnQuote

I'm guessing something that's at least similar to Oreos will work for this effect, although I don't own the effect.

Well, me neither. But when you shove something into an Oreo isn't it pretty obvious which one got something jammed into it? In other words, if someone knows how you do this and wants to really screw up your day, can they? Because that is basically an option that we don't want to think about but is possible.

Sep 1, 2007
You do not have to use Oreo cookies! Any cookie that is Oreo like will work. Hell, you could really use anything that you can hid the object in. An ice cream sandwich, a ham sandwich... whatever! lol

Urban entropy do you know where I can find this video or which show it was on? I would love to see how Derren handles that situation.

Sep 3, 2007
You do not have to use Oreo cookies! Any cookie that is Oreo like will work. Hell, you could really use anything that you can hid the object in. An ice cream sandwich, a ham sandwich... whatever! lol

Urban entropy do you know where I can find this video or which show it was on? I would love to see how Derren handles that situation.

Do you have to use a stooge for this trick? Because that would be pretty darn lame if you ask me.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Do you have to use a stooge for this trick? Because that would be pretty darn lame if you ask me.

I don't think a stooge is involved in this. This trick is pretty much impromtu...so I don't thinks it's necessary.

Sep 3, 2007
I don't think a stooge is involved in this. This trick is pretty much impromtu...so I don't thinks it's necessary.

Can you use the trick in more than one setting? Say some jerk saw you perform it and made it his quest to screw you up next time by planting a razor in one of your cookies? Again, something no one ever wants to consider but is this a possibility? Because honestly that is the only drawback of the roulette scenario. If it's not completely controlled you could end up chomping on the wrong Oreo. Is this sort of thing covered in the release?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Can you use the trick in more than one setting? Say some jerk saw you perform it and made it his quest to screw you up next time by planting a razor in one of your cookies? Again, something no one ever wants to consider but is this a possibility? Because honestly that is the only drawback of the roulette scenario. If it's not completely controlled you could end up chomping on the wrong Oreo. Is this sort of thing covered in the release?

Thanks.

First of all, there are no stooges involved in the effect. As for your scenario, why the hell are you performing this for the same spectator twice anyway?

Mar 30, 2008
DC
As for your scenario, why the hell are you performing this for the same spectator twice anyway?

Relax, what if he's doing it at lunch at school (with something other than a razor) and someone who's already seen the trick happens to wander by?

You wrote a product review. Answer the questions with answers, not with rhetorical questions of your own.

Oct 11, 2008
Don't let the spectators ever be the one at risk.

I use a roulette routine occasionally, and I would never, ever, do it with a spectator. Even if it's a one in a million chance of messing up--it is not worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUXxadeo4c

No matter what roulette routine you are using something could go wrong; do not forget that.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
This is an interesting take on the whole Russian Roulette category of mentalism. I got it, I like the method and the routine, but I do have one question...

What if your spectator didn't wash their hands before mixing the cookies and having their hands all over the cookies?

Sep 1, 2007
Relax, what if he's doing it at lunch at school (with something other than a razor) and someone who's already seen the trick happens to wander by?

You wrote a product review. Answer the questions with answers, not with rhetorical questions of your own.

I was in no way upset. However, lets go over you scenario. There are two main times that someone could wander by. While your back is turned and the other person is mixing them around. If at this point, someone were to pick up a cookie and try to shove something in it, someone is going to say something. Simple as that. Any other time, you are facing the cookies and would see if someone did that.

Secondly, I don't care about them having not washed their hands. Hell, I probably haven't washed mine! If you really wanted you could give them a small little bottle of hand sanitizer and you can both sanitze your hands before you begin.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results