Insight into Self as the Magician.

I seem to be stuck on a concept or a point which seems to me to be the foundation blocks behind a powerful essay, but I can't seem to get any further beyond my initial observation. I figured I'd share it here with you folks, in hopes that it will blossem out into something more creative, vivid, and fruitful.

I thought that perhaps the apotheosis of man is personified in his quest for magical knowledge and mastery over the illusionary arts. Where other can man truely come so close to equalling the precieved powers of god, and enjoy the wonders of creation but through his own art?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
My quote from the chat:

I think we favor the enigma we give to others over our own dull selves. when you embrace the unknown, people associate you with the unknown, and then you become more.

Now:

Expanding upon this, I think that magic is there for a reason. People's unsaid concerns about the afterlife and even just simply typical worries tend to loom over them like a shadow, and by seeing a few more lighthearted views of magic, they change. They start to see things differently.

For me, it is more rewarding to be the conjuror because you know that the magic you are causing for your audience is far more important than any magic you could ever watch.

Ian

Well Apotheosis (from Greek ἀποθεόω, apotheoō "to deify", later the Italian gióvino, "to be made divine"), refers to the exaltation of a subject to divine level. The term has meanings in theology, where it refers to a belief, and in art, where it refers to a genre. In theology the term apotheosis refers to the idea that an individual, group, or locale has been raised to godlike stature. In art the term refers to the treatment of any subject (a figure, motif, convention or melody) in a particularly grand or exalted manner.

The idea is that man has always dreamed of achieving the same qualities that he associates with the gods. Fantastic cosmic powers to transverse time, space, and death.

The image of the magician is mans closest and vain attempt to transgress the confinds of mortality and achieve a godlike status by covert manipulations of mind, body, and aparatus. In so much as man's best effort of achiving the joys of creation and enjoying the exhaultations of his fellow brothern for the apparent supernatural manifistations of his power lies in his understanding of the magical ways and mastery of the illusionary arts. In his creation of his own magical effects, does man truely come close to the same kind of appreciation and understanding as the gods magical creation of everything else in our known universe.

...am I making sense here? Or am I just rambling?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
...am I making sense here? Or am I just rambling?

Yes.

Magic is an outstanding field nowadays, but it's more about whose Tivo is better or who can do the best ThirdFingerHermannInjogUndershift. In the old days, guys like Vernon and Slydini would do nothing more than a few double lifts and stun people. We've lost sight of true magic.

So how can we be true magicians?

I think I went a little too far into the topic.

Anyway...

It's about an enigma manifesting itself into the minds of the audience. By doing such effects, we juxtapose ourselves with the unknown. This does a few things
-It attributes us to an entity larger than life. We become a perpetual gateway to mystery, and the audience reveres you because you are certainly in a different echelon than everyone else.
-It makes us seem to be more than we actually are. People don't see you as just Mr. Card Trick - although there are some people like that - but most seek magic as a distraction.

We do magic because the moments we make happen float people away from the dregs of an uncomfortable reality, and just for a moment they can perch on our level of amazement. They appreciate it because it's all in the moment. It opens a pathway to the before impossible.

...yeah.

Ian

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
It makes sense but my answer is no. The general public just has to vast of a preconceived notion about "magic", Magician", and so forth. Which implies that what we do is tricks, which is exactly what we do. I have tried to explain intelligently what magic is to people who say I do tricks. I concur, and say but when you were amazed for second, that is what magic is. I go into more detail than that but they disagree and will say "No no they are tricks.". Very little do I ever get this type of response but when I do and try to explain, it's no use. But yet, they will instantly believe in God. But won't as easily believe in magic. Why? That is the question isn't it. If I was to heal the blind, they would say he wasn't blind to begin with. Again it's a preconceived notion. Possibly the reason they believe in God as opposed to magic is that there are a substantial amount of people, cultures, religions, and so forth who have the same idea of what God is. I.E. The Bible. There is no Bible about magic. Why do so many people like Criss Angel as opposed to me. There are articles, DVD's, magic sets, and books about him. And me, I am the local magician. So maybe it's all about publicity? Maybe, maybe not. It's your call. Hope that somehow helps.

- Zac

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Very interesting, but i don't believe that this happens through magic, or being a magician.

I think the way we get closer, is though meditation, and understand that we are all made of energy and how that works in the world.

Aug 4, 2009
I seem to be stuck on a concept or a point which seems to me to be the foundation blocks behind a powerful essay, but I can't seem to get any further beyond my initial observation. I figured I'd share it here with you folks, in hopes that it will blossem out into something more creative, vivid, and fruitful.

I thought that perhaps the apotheosis of man is personified in his quest for magical knowledge and mastery over the illusionary arts. Where other can man truely come so close to equalling the precieved powers of god, and enjoy the wonders of creation but through his own art?

Science. As we try to emulate god, we gain a deeper understand about our surroundings.. and things that were once divine lose their mystery. Ra the sun god, for example, has been equaled, and bested, by science.

Magic and science have their parallels.. To the scientist (magician) who knows and performs the method, nothing spectacular is happening. But for the observer (spectator) who does not know the method but only witnesses the result, it can be incredible, almost divine.

But science tries to "corner" god, and remove the divine from the world. Whereas the magician the magician puts it back. The cost for both parties is the same: knowledge of the method.

this might have gotten a little off topic.. sorry

In his creation of his own magical effects, does man truely come close to the same kind of appreciation and understanding as the gods magical creation of everything else in our known universe.

Not the man who creates or performs, but for those they perform to. That's the cost I was talking about. The knowledge of the method removes the divine, but witnessing the result of the method puts it back.

Science. As we try to emulate god, we gain a deeper understand about our surroundings.. and things that were once divine lose their mystery. Ra the sun god, for example, has been equaled, and bested, by science.

Magic and science have their parallels.. To the scientist (magician) who knows and performs the method, nothing spectacular is happening. But for the observer (spectator) who does not know the method but only witnesses the result, it can be incredible, almost divine.

But science tries to "corner" god, and remove the divine from the world. Whereas the magician the magician puts it back. The cost for both parties is the same: knowledge of the method.

this might have gotten a little off topic.. sorry

Not the man who creates or performs, but for those they perform to. That's the cost I was talking about. The knowledge of the method removes the divine, but witnessing the result of the method puts it back.

Not really. I think your point is pretty valid. Hmm.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results