Performance for Highschool Kids tomorrow.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey guys, about to do some close-up magic for some highschool kids tomorrow. After seeing some of the stuff I could do, my Uncle has asked me to come to his Art Appreciation class to entertain them. This will be my second live performance ever, so needless to say I'm a little nervous.

Now they can see a new art to appreciate, right in front of them.

So heres the routine I was thinking about.

Pocket Change Vanish.
2 Card Monte
Witness
Thread

I don't know how long I'm supposed to perform actually. So I figure this would be a good outline. I might throw in "Escape" (where the coin shoots through it's paper cell), and the french drop, or a variation of it.

Any comments or criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
I would suggest you perform thread first to show that you are the real deal, because it would be their first time seeing you perform they would have mixed feelings about you. Then go onto demonstrate how sleight of hand can sometimes be used to hustle people out their money, perform 2 card monte...... the rest of the routine could be up how you want it, I like to have a back story to make the spectator interested and I would like my first opener trick to be impactful.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

Going with thread first would make a big impact, but wouldn't I always want a big finish?

Should I start with thread and end with witness?

What I've noticed from the people I've performed for, is that everyone likes card tricks but they usually respond more when I do something like Pressure or a coin vanish.

The reason Pressure is not in this list is because I've gotten mixed responses out of it ranging from "That's cool!" to "... so you just do this and this..."

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

Going with thread first would make a big impact, but wouldn't I always want a big finish?

Should I start with thread and end with witness?

What I've noticed from the people I've performed for, is that everyone likes card tricks but they usually respond more when I do something like Pressure or a coin vanish.

The reason Pressure is not in this list is because I've gotten mixed responses out of it ranging from "That's cool!" to "... so you just do this and this..."

Yeah I think you should go with witness as a closer, and you can also talk about evidence and how under security is cannot be changed, dont actually say you are going to change the card in the zip lock just talk about evidence etc etc.

I think you should just enjoy your time out there.

Yea I think so... I just think, what do thread and 2CM have in common? I mean i'm not too sure how they would go into a routine as Thread is kinda "freaky" and 2CM isn't freaky at all, I'm not sure they go with the same persona and you need to keep the same throughout the routine. But good luck anyway!

I don't know, that is for you to decide. What matters is that it the best presentation out of those tricks. I know too many people that close with Witness or 2CM. That is a question that only you know the answer to.

If it is your best, do it. If there is something stronger in there, work it in.

Hope this helps,
-Chase

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Thanks guys,

Thread is one of my favorite tricks, but really would it fit into any routine? Maybe only with Torn Restored but even then...

What I'm kinda thinking is starting off by introducing them to sleight of hand with maybe the french drop, and a 'pull' that I like to use to make many coins vanish. Then move onto cards maybe starting with Biddle, then 2CM, then Witness, and then give it a big bang with thread. Also I kind of come up with patter on the spot.

Like I've said before, this will be my second time performing so there is definitely going to be things I need to work on. Probably making the theme more linear and better patter..

Jun 1, 2009
Ok so I'm assumming that its like your in front of the class performing, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If sl:
2CM is good, mayble biddle could play big as well, doing both would be good, or just either/or. whatever your more comfortable with.

Witness is a good follower to that.

I'm not educated on coins, so I can't help you there sorry.

Thread is definatley a good closer, and a 2CM and/or biddle definatley will show your the "real deal" if you perform them well.

If you are still expected to perform, whip out some impromptu stuff and do stuff you know you're good at. It could be just some color changes or whatever. However, I'm sure after Thread you can take a bow and they should know you're done, its hard to follow that up.
Whatever you do have fun and be comfortable, and don't rush it.

Your boy,
Fez

You want something FAST and VISUAL for your opener. High School kids aren't going to cut you a lot of slack, and they have the attention span of a ADD Squirell cracked out on pixy sticks and red bull. If you can't win their respect quickly, you're going to get heckled through the entire show. Something stupid simple like a card to flaming wallet usually works. Be your own judge. Less talk, more monkey for the first effect.

Once you've established that 1) your good. 2) Your "cool", and 3) you can do some amazing stuff then you can afford to talk more. Insert rest act here.

I'd close with thread myself. It's way to strong to be an opener.

Really? Well I like to use it as an opener and only used it once as a closer, but I felt that i should start with thread.

Anyway, i wish you good luck livingston

I guess it just really a personal matter. I perfrom a version of thread, and it's my closer. I've gotten great results with it. However if your line up does better with it as an opener then go for it!

There really isn't a "one size fits all" answer to this.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
two words:

visual tricks.

I love to open with a koslowski bill switch. A black piece of paper changes into a bright yellow piece of paper. Simple, fast, visual. And, I can approach them with the thumb tip already on, no fumbling.

Another great thing is to change a blank piece of paper into money.

the mis-made bill was my opener for a long time.

I suggest you learn the Koslowski bill switch.

Also, buy a decent magic book or two. It sounds like the tricks you're performing are all from Theory11 or Ellusionist! There are much better, and cheaper places to learn magic. Invest in a good book or two, and it will pay off ten-fold.

Also, as soon as you can, buy Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. It'll make the effects you already do so much better.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I would suggest you perform thread first to show that you are the real deal, .

I disagree with this for the fact that performing something amazing like thread to start makes it seem like something bigger is gonna happen.....
but then all he has after that are card tricks.
It sounds like it will really take away from the rest of the show and leave them yearning for something else.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
two words:

Also, buy a decent magic book or two. It sounds like the tricks you're performing are all from Theory11 or Ellusionist! There are much better, and cheaper places to learn magic. Invest in a good book or two, and it will pay off ten-fold..

Yes, I have learned all of my tricks/sleights from Theory11 and Ellusionist, as I've stated before I'm new to magic (started about 6 months ago) and Theory11 jumpstarted me with 1 on 1's and being able to get high quality tricks with high quality instruction. I've also read a few books that I pull material from *Paul Zenon's Street Magic, and David Blaines Mysterious Stranger*. I will definitely look into the Strong Magic book.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey guys, thanks for everyones input, I had a great time performing for these kids, and they were a great audience. I'm a little disappointed looking back at the footage, I know I could have and should have performed better. But I think reactions were good and everyone had a pretty good time. Any criticism or advice will be great.

My next goal is to get out on the streets at least twice a week, be looking for another video :D

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7XCg5ic8JU

~Robert

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results