Smoke And Mirrors

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
Cool. I actually like V1 and V2 because the stock feels very flexible. V3 feels more like an ellusionist tiger deck which I hated because they are so stiff and never seem to lose that stiffness. I like the design of V4 the best but cards feel a bit fragile if that makes any sense.
v.2 or v.3. Best back designs. I also appreciate V.1 for the dark red color on the faces, and V.4 for the fresh new design.

In other words, all of them.

L

Aug 23, 2009
personally i enjoy the v1 and v2's. i absolutely hate how the v3's have no borders. And i'm not appreciating what DnD are doing with the new colors.

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
I actually like the design of V4 the best. I always thought the back design looked like a mess on the other versions.
personally i enjoy the v1 and v2's. i absolutely hate how the v3's have no borders. And i'm not appreciating what DnD are doing with the new colors.

Aug 4, 2010
Works in what sense? Visually, feel?

Ok here it goes...Those cards are all almost exactly the same...the only real difference is in the design...V2 just looks better to me...All that "the stock is thicker or more flexible" is completely irrelevant...The difference is not that huge to actually make it a difference...

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
I would have to disagree strongly. Of course the stock matters. the stock is what makes a lot of the ellusionist decks suck in my opinion because they are super stiff even when they're old. I like the stock to be very flexible and I feel like V1-V2 and V4 do that while V3 is like an ellusionist deck as far as the stock goes. How can stock be irrelevant? It's the main part of a pack of cards. I would pick a pack of cards that has good stock and bad visual design over a pack with poor stock and aesthetically pleasing visual design any day.
Ok here it goes...Those cards are all almost exactly the same...the only real difference is in the design...V2 just looks better to me...All that "the stock is thicker or more flexible" is completely irrelevant...The difference is not that huge to actually make it a difference...

Sep 1, 2010
well, if you use the singular "mirror":
"if they would only care to see past the smoke and mirror",
then you could say something about the picture becoming "clearer", or somehow work clearer into it - or nearer, or dearer (several things rhyme with the singular "mirror")
I'm sure you could take some literary liberty with "smoke and mirrors"

Aug 4, 2010
I would have to disagree strongly. Of course the stock matters. the stock is what makes a lot of the ellusionist decks suck in my opinion because they are super stiff even when they're old. I like the stock to be very flexible and I feel like V1-V2 and V4 do that while V3 is like an ellusionist deck as far as the stock goes. How can stock be irrelevant? It's the main part of a pack of cards. I would pick a pack of cards that has good stock and bad visual design over a pack with poor stock and aesthetically pleasing visual design any day.

What you fail to realize is that i'm talking about these cards only...You can believe whatever you want but you wouldn't know the difference between V1 and V4 if you were blindfolded....

Jun 10, 2010
What you fail to realize is that i'm talking about these cards only...You can believe whatever you want but you wouldn't know the difference between V1 and V4 if you were blindfolded....

I've only ever tried the v.4s, and that too only once for a few minutes, but what Elite just said goes for most decks. If blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, unless they were Bee stingers :). Everybody knows those cards are god-like.

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
I failed to realize or you failed to specify? Of course you would feel a difference. V4 is the only version to use recycled paper and that difference was very apparent to me when I first handled them; they felt thinner and more flexible in subtle ways. So I guess a wine connoisseur would fail a taste test as well if they tried samples from the same line blindfolded? Don't be ridiculous man, people who are familiar with a certain product will notice slight differences as newer variations come out. Do you think Dan and Dave could tell the difference between the versions of their cards? Probably so and if you don't think they can then you might suffer from a slight case of ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
Can you actually explain in detail why you wouldn't notice the difference? I'd really be interested to know what tests you have conducted. Just how many times have you blindfolded yourself? Perhaps there are some here that have lost sensation in their hands which would explain this phenomenon of not being able to tell the difference between different packs of cards.

I've only ever tried the v.4s, and that too only once for a few minutes, but what Elite just said goes for most decks. If blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, unless they were Bee stingers :). Everybody knows those cards are god-like.

Aug 4, 2010
I failed to realize or you failed to specify? Of course you would feel a difference. V4 is the only version to use recycled paper and that difference was very apparent to me when I first handled them; they felt thinner and more flexible in subtle ways. So I guess a wine connoisseur would fail a taste test as well if they tried samples from the same line blindfolded? Don't be ridiculous man, people who are familiar with a certain product will notice slight differences as newer variations come out. Do you think Dan and Dave could tell the difference between the versions of their cards? Probably so and if you don't think they can then you might suffer from a slight case of ignorance.

Yeah you failed to realize it....Considering this is a thread about S&M's...and also how I was specifically talking about them....I didn't know I had to go into specifics....then again we aren't all Elite academics right?...And like I said...you can believe whatever you want..In the end of the day you wouldnt know the difference between any of them unless they used completely different stocks....Comparing similar cards to wine?...Really? :rolleyes:

I also hope you realize that V.4 is an entirely new deck....But still...If you had all four there you wouldn't guess which is which with 100% certainty..I give you cookie if you get at least 2 right...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results