Magic Books that are now on DVD

Apr 2, 2011
So I have this magic buddy who asked me for advise and I recommended him to read books but he said dvds are better due to fast learning because of the visual aspect which is just an excuse of lazyness. So anyway, just wanted to ask, what are magic books that are now on DVD like the Royal Road? Thanks!

Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
Except for the Royal Road you already mentioned, DVD version of Expert at the card table should keep him busy for quite some time.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So anyway, just wanted to ask, what are magic books that are now on DVD like the Royal Road? Thanks!

I think the better question is whether any DVDs based on books are as good as the books. Even with Royal Road, there is the Magic Makers version and the R. Paul Wilson version. One is better than the other.

One of the few DVDs that comes close to the books is Giobbi's Card College 1 & 2 DVDs. Again, there is material left out of the DVDs -- mostly effects and the one thing I would like to see Giobbi teach on a DVD-- the pass. The key here is that the author of the books is the performer on the DVD.

To answer your question here is a very incomplete list off the top of my head:

• Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic by Frank Garcia (OOP) - Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic by Ben Salanas
  • Ambitious Card Omnibus by Daryl (OOP) - Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD
  • Ammar's Complete Cups & Balls (OOP) - Ammar's Cups & Balls 1 & 2 DVDs
  • Art of Astonishment by Paul Harris - True Astonishment by Paul Harris (limited number of effects are based on the books but variations plus a whole bunch of other stuff)
  • 13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda - 13 Steps to Mentalism DVD by Richard Osterlind
  • Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder - Visions of Wonder DVDs by Tommy Wonder (don't have DVDs but they appear to only be the effects and haven't taken the time to check that the effects are in the books)
  • Hidden in Plain Sight by Kirk Charles - Hidden in Plain Sight DVD by Kirk Charles (DVD is missing best effect in book)
The recent trend is to release one or more effects from books on DVD -- Aaron Fisher, John Bannon and John Gustaferro have done this (although some of Bannon and Gusterferro's DVD effects are not in their books).

Except for the Royal Road you already mentioned, DVD version of Expert at the card table should keep him busy for quite some time.

Again, two versions -- the Alan Ackerman version and the Wesley James version. One is definitely better than the other, but neither has gotten rave reviews. The problem with these is that Expert at the Card is for experts. Someone who isn't willing to struggle to learn from a book will not get any value from even the Ackerman DVDs - a lot of Erdnase is very difficult to master.

MORE IMPORTANTLY....

I think that if you are not going to learn from books, you are better off getting DVDs that are not based on books. That is, there are a lot better DVDs for handling cards than the videos that were made of RRTCM and EATCT. With the exceptions of the Card College DVDs and True Astonishment, most remakes of books into DVDs aren't the best material to learn from (usually because they are made by someone other than the author of the book). If you get a DVD, get the best DVD for what you want to learn regardless of whether it is based on a book or not.

The best thing your friend can do is get the Card College 1 & 2 books and the Giobbi DVDs. Read through the books first and try to learn from the book and THEN go to the DVD to see the explanation. This will help him to learn how to learn from books. If you are serious about magic, learning how to learn from books is essential.

Dec 4, 2011
Imperial, CA
highly recommend royal road to card magic dvd set (paul wilson), but thats only if you've read the book, having the book and the dvd should allow you to become an expert on card magic. But then again, everyone learns differently, so try out to different sources, and see what suits you best.
:)

-ghost89

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I wouldn't be suprised if he didn't know how to read. I've been to my sisters 9th grade high school class and when they have to read aloud...I shudder.
Tell him to just read the books. If he is so enamored with technology, then he needs a nook at least.
Back in the day EVERYONE used to read books to learn magic. Before VHS came around too.
Now we got people saying "oh im a visual learner, not good at reading instructions". pffft.

Sep 1, 2007
There is such a thing as visual learning, but not that many people seem to know what it actually means. When people describe sensory learning, it's simply the context we filter it through. The three types are visual, auditory, and kinesthetic.

Visual learners don't necessarily benefit more from DVDs and books. All they really need is a good visual in their head. Futhermore, they tend to be very good at constructing elaborate maps and webs of information in their heads linking information together in a bigger picture sort of way.

Auditory learners tend to need more structure. Step-by-step guides and lists are very appealing to them because they have order and arrangement. They get their head around this faster than other people. Consequently, they are able to effectively organize information in their heads.

Kinesthetic learners learn by doing. Whether you present them with a picture or a list, it won't matter until they've actually done it themselves, at which point they tend to pick things up very rapidly. They're more likely to describe the feel of something rather than how it looks or sounds metaphorically speaking. Kinesthetic learners are good at getting into a groove of practice because action is where they feel the most comfortable.

May 18, 2008
A great set based on books is Harry Lorayne's 4 DVD set. It isn't completely based on his literature (it would be longer than 12 hours if it were) but it has his greatest hits, of which there are a TON.

The material isn't all presented well, and it isn't all something you or your friend will use, but it's a great encyclopedic resource based on a compilation from all of his books.

As far as the "books vs DVD" debate, I think it's a waste of time. I have an ample amount of books and an ample amount of DVDs. I don't think it's what kind of learner you are, but more the material you are learning.

When I started flourishing, there was NO way I could ever figure out sybil from Chris Kenner's book. I tried for WEEKS. Same with The Reparation from David Regal's Close-Up, Up-Close. Neither of them really came across the same way in books as they did on the DVDs from which I learned them.

Then there are other routines that I'm incredibly glad that I learned from writing; any of the routines I use from Destroyers by Troy Hooser came across WAY better in the book than they did on his DVD set.

The "visual learner" debate is an opportunity for people to be blasted for "being lazy" and others to be pretentious. Some things come across better depending on the material.

All the best!

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Well, Jason England said that if you're learning from book, you'll have your own interpretation of the trick and THAT will make you a good magician. You wont be a copy of another magician, you'll devellop your own habits and twists. But, you'll also learn much faster from DVD because you can clearly see what's going on. So basically, if you want to be original and devellop your style, learn from book first. If you want to perform and do not want to become a pro, then learn from DVD. That's what basically he said to me :).

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well, Jason England said that if you're learning from book, you'll have your own interpretation of the trick and THAT will make you a good magician. You wont be a copy of another magician, you'll devellop your own habits and twists. But, you'll also learn much faster from DVD because you can clearly see what's going on. So basically, if you want to be original and devellop your style, learn from book first. If you want to perform and do not want to become a pro, then learn from DVD. That's what basically he said to me :).

He also said that you shouldn't think of it as " Video VS books" but more as "Video AND Books." Meaning you can combine the two learning processes and it should in the end help you out a lot more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results