We've been dreaming. The Mystery Box.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I really like this box, it looks awesome and I'm a sucker for red/black decks. That being said, I really wasn't going to chime in, but there have been several unfair or unreasonable things said or implied in this thread that need to be challenged.

Why do I feel like I've been teleported to another dimension? Where's Christopher and the other critical thinkers? Either a couple people I greatly respect have greatly surprised me with their behavior at the same time, in the same thread...or I'm going nuts.

Well, you know the old saying that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? Yeah. Combine that with the fact that I know another voice of dissent was banned for loosing his opinion on this thread. Three guesses who, and the first two don't count.

I don't have enough invested in this to make a huge fuss. Austin already said things better than I could hope to, anyway. Excellent post - not only on this topic but on avoiding falling into the personality cult mentality that places like this encourage.

I support the idea of helping kids have creative outlets. However, I can't help but notice that this is a $10 deck of cards, and $1 goes to this charity. The Animal Kingdom cards donate $1 as well, but that's out of a $7 price. The Charity: Water deck donates 100% of proceeds. So, out of this $10 deck, $1 goes to charity and the other nine go to ... Whom? What justifies the increased price? I assume there's some kind of royalty deal but one of T11's selling points in my mind is that their decks are decently priced (for custom cards).

I understand that this is a project the team is invested in (emotionally and financially I'm sure) and I don't necessarily want to dump on their dreams. But I honestly was let down. I'm huge on the idea of letting the mind build the story because our imagination will usually do it better than anyone could do it for us. I just feel this was over hyped and under delivered. Like the horrible "Boo!" ending of Paranormal Activities.

Sure, there might be something more than 12 decks and a letter in this box but who cares? Those of us who are not part of the "If Theory11 did it, it must be gold!" mentality are not hooked. And heck, I am almost always a sucker for a good box. It's one of my things. I love boxes. But I'm not sold on a $150 box just to make a $12 donation to a charity. I'm not sold on the charity yet, honestly. Why did you guys focus so much on this box if the charity is the main point? Why not put out more information on how awesome the charity is?

At this point, I see page after page of hype about a box, and then to find out it's just filled with cards. You haven't filled me with mystery. You showed me what's in the box! There's no mystery if I know what's in the box! Then there's the vague hints, "That's not all!" Well, hook me. Give me something to think there's more than some expensive cards and a letter in this box.

I won't be surprised if I can't post after this goes up. Theory11 seems to be taking hints from the Cafe in regards to people who disagree.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Hey Chris, first and foremost, just to clarify, that's absolutely not the case. Steerpike was banned for unnecessary negativity and vulgar language in a forum where a family-friendly environment, and mature atmosphere, is required. We have members of all ages. We have forum rules, and we intend for them to be followed. I stand wholeheartedly behind that decision, and if you disagree, you're welcome to discuss with our moderation team privately. Not in this thread.

Secondly, I absolutely respect your opinion on this particular release. Although to be fair, you must understand that your post itself poses an impossible challenge - asking us to reveal more of the mystery of what's inside, while simultaneously saying that there is no mystery inside. Haha - I get what you're saying, don't get me wrong, but from our perspective, this was a delicate balance of showing just enough where it's not a total mystery what you're buying, and leaving just enough open to the imagination. There's much more to this than meets the eye.

With regard to the charitable aspect - theory11 is (unapologetically) a business, and we have to operate as one to exist. Whenever possible, we go above and beyond with things like the charity: water decks (100% of proceeds), but we or any business can't do that on every project or we simply wouldn't exist!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I love that! I don't know if I want to open it or not yet. Are all of the lock combinations the same, or is each one different?

All of the combination locks have a specific, custom combination. They're all the same code, but that code is not overtly included with the package. Included with each lockbox is a letterpressed note from J.J. inside of a wax-sealed envelope. If you read through that letter, and review the clues we've posted already, you should be able to figure it out. Good luck!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I can't speak for others but I can say that you have inspired me, at my advanced age of 46, to pursue my new found love of magic. Both the web site and this project have inspired me to keep practicing and not lose hope that I can bring the wonder I have found here with others. Kudos to you sir.

nECrO, sorry I didn't respond to this sooner! Just saw your post. THANK YOU! Very grateful for the kind words and support.

Feb 23, 2014
All of the combination locks have a specific, custom combination. They're all the same code, but that code is not overtly included with the package. Included with each lockbox is a letterpressed note from J.J. inside of a wax-sealed envelope. If you read through that letter, and review the clues we've posted already, you should be able to figure it out. Good luck!

Challenge ACCEPTED! So excited. Can't wait to get it in my hands. Also, I saw that David Copperfield posted about the Mystery Box last night! So cool!

https://twitter.com/d_copperfield/status/439600411029561345

Feb 23, 2014
Challenge ACCEPTED! So excited. Can't wait to get it in my hands. Also, I saw that David Copperfield posted about the Mystery Box last night! So cool!

https://twitter.com/d_copperfield/status/439600411029561345

Does anyone see any images of the letter that is included with the lockbox? I see the image on the top of the Mystery Box page, and a small image at the bottom that shows the signature, but I really want to know what it says! All I can make out on the top photo is "The choice to open the box, or not, is yours." But there are five paragraphs above it.

Apr 17, 2013
Why all the negativity? Seriously - if you don't like it, don't buy it. trikuxabi, your argument of not donating "enough" to charity is silly. theory11 is a business and deserves to operate as one, especially when they clearly pour this much time and effort and passion into a project.

Bicycle only donated $0.15 PER DECK for their Wounded Warrior cards. Bicycle only donated $0.15 per deck for their Breast Cancer Awareness cards - and those were projects that (supposedly) were only focused on the charity, and this isn't that and they're donating 6 TIMES more!

Lets look at it a different way Those bike decks can be had for $1.50 a deck most places. That is 10% the same percentage as these decks.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Hey Chris, first and foremost, just to clarify, that's absolutely not the case. Steerpike was banned for unnecessary negativity and vulgar language in a forum where a family-friendly environment, and mature atmosphere, is required. We have members of all ages. We have forum rules, and we intend for them to be followed. I stand wholeheartedly behind that decision, and if you disagree, you're welcome to discuss with our moderation team privately. Not in this thread.

No need to discuss it. It's your forums and you're entitled to refuse service to anyone on any grounds.

Secondly, I absolutely respect your opinion on this particular release. Although to be fair, you must understand that your post itself poses an impossible challenge - asking us to reveal more of the mystery of what's inside, while simultaneously saying that there is no mystery inside. Haha - I get what you're saying, don't get me wrong, but from our perspective, this was a delicate balance of showing just enough where it's not a total mystery what you're buying, and leaving just enough open to the imagination. There's much more to this than meets the eye.

But you're not giving us any hook on what that 'much more' could be. I've seen a box that seems to fit about 12 decks of cards. There's 12 decks of cards in it, with a letter and a cool lock. You're not giving any real hook on what else it might be, other than, "It's a mystery!" Well, from my perspective it's not a mystery. It's a nice looking box with cards in it. Give me something .. anything ... to hook me on the idea that there's more to this than cards and a donation to charity.

With regard to the charitable aspect - theory11 is (unapologetically) a business, and we have to operate as one to exist. Whenever possible, we go above and beyond with things like the charity: water decks (100% of proceeds), but we or any business can't do that on every project or we simply wouldn't exist!

Certainly. So why is this deck $3-$4 more expensive than the rest of them on the site? Unless I am remembering incorrectly, you yourself have talked about how Theory11's decks are the most cost-effective for the quality. Looking over the playing card page, all the decks are roughly $5-$7. The ones that donate are $5 (Water) and $7 (Animal Kingdom). So you're taking the loss (and tax write off) for those and that's awesome. I applaud you and the company for your humanitarian efforts.

But if you're selling me on this being a donation to a worthy charity, why is the deck $3 more than the other one that donates the same amount? You're being 5% less charitable with this deck. Why? Is that other $3 going to J.J. Abrams & Co? I certainly don't expect a financial report but I just feel mislead in this whole campaign. I feel like the hype was just to get people willing to drop $10 a deck and $30 for a box with a lock.

I really don't have time to continue with this right now. I have to go to a friend's birthday and have two shows later today.

Peace out.

Feb 23, 2014
Why is the deck $3 more than the other one that donates the same amount?

How can we complain about the price of a $9.95 deck, of which $1.00 is going to charity? I mean really, Dan and Dave's HMNIM decks sell for $11.95. THESE are individually wrapped in letterpress kraft paper, designed by J.J. Abrams, and a portion goes to charity. To me, that's a damn good deal for $9.95.

I bought a deck of "I Love New York" cards this past summer in New York for $8 and they were like toilet paper compared to these. If you don't want to buy them, don't buy them. But I love everything about them and I think the price is more than reasonable.

Feb 23, 2014
How can we complain about the price of a $9.95 deck, of which $1.00 is going to charity? I mean really, Dan and Dave's HMNIM decks sell for $11.95. THESE are individually wrapped in letterpress kraft paper, designed by J.J. Abrams, and a portion goes to charity. To me, that's a damn good deal for $9.95.

I bought a deck of "I Love New York" cards this past summer in New York for $8 and they were like toilet paper compared to these. If you don't want to buy them, don't buy them. But I love everything about them and I think the price is more than reasonable.

Hahaha I agree! My grandmother got me a deck for Christmas last year that she thought I would love. Well, it turned out that deck had flowers all over it, and she got it from a museum for $15. It didn't fan, it didn't spread. But I pretended like I loved it so my grandma wouldn't feel bad.

Feb 23, 2014
Nice! That's awesome! Glad he loved it, always cool to see someone like the man himself taking an interest. Very cool.

Andrei what kind of camera did you use in the video that could record in slow motion like that? Can the new GoPro record that way?

Amazing spring by the way.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
If you don't like the product and don't want to give in your own way, then don't criticize the efforts of others. It's bad form.

I actually do make an effort to give something to charity, so telling people they should open their eyes to realise this is not the best way to help it's not bad form, sir.

Feb 23, 2014
I actually do make an effort to give something to charity, so telling people they should open their eyes to realise this is not the best way to help it's not bad form, sir.

No need for argument over giving to charity - the more the better! One thing we can all agree on is that. I love the cause they chose to contribute to with this project. I think it's a very natural fit, considering the subject matter of mystery and how that inspired J.J. throughout his career. Any effort to inspire the next generation of dreamers, whether that be through magic or creative writing, technology or otherwise, is totally awesome.

Feb 23, 2014
Andrei what kind of camera did you use in the video that could record in slow motion like that? Can the new GoPro record that way?

Amazing spring by the way.

I doubt they used a GoPro for that video. At 720p, the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition can record up to 120 frames per second. The Mystery Box video looks like it's WAY more than 120 frames per second. They probably shot with a RED or a Phantom. The RED can shoot over 350 frames per second in 720p (maybe more), and the Phantom can shoot over 25,000 frames per second.

(source: http://www.visionresearch.com/Products/High-Speed-Cameras/ )

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
I was thinking of buying one, taking the decks out, putting something else in there and gifting it to someone, but to ship it to where I am, it goes from $150 to ~$225 (for the cheapest shipping option). Either this box is bigger than I thought it was, or shipping is expensive...

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I was thinking of buying one, taking the decks out, putting something else in there and gifting it to someone, but to ship it to where I am, it goes from $150 to ~$225 (for the cheapest shipping option). Either this box is bigger than I thought it was, or shipping is expensive...

Likely a little bit of both! The wood boxes are made of reclaimed Oak and Pine, so they're pretty heavy even before the 12 decks get placed inside. Each lockbox is reinforced with metal brackets on each corner, and the metal lock on the front adds additional weight. Also, not sure if this is mentioned on the page, but the inside of the lockbox has a black felt surface that protects the contents.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Then the statement doesn't apply to you then... The bad form is about criticizing the good works of others without taking actual yourself. I also wouldn't walk into a boutique and criticize the items on their shelf to the owner.

One of the reasons that I have grown to really appreciate Theory 11 is the way Jonathan conducts business, treats others, and efforts like this. I'm glad they are trying new ideas and approaches. I can imagine it would be difficult when you are pounded nearly every time you try.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I think this is cool, was it a lot of hype for a box of cards? Maybe.

I do feel like there is more to this though. I don't mean to be combative at all or argumentative but I think I can see what makes this a big deal.

J.J. Abrams, an A list celebrity endorses and collaborates on a project this is huge. If it was a pair of socks it would be big.

It's a beautiful deck of cards with a very pretty box and a sweet lock. Great looking all around, really a nice piece.

Compared to other products like Air Jordans, I feel like the slightly more expensive deck for Theory11's standards is no where near as inflated as other products. The money has to go to a ton of places for this that it doesn't have to for other decks of cards.

You have to pay for the materials and their use for the USPC, you have to pay for the wrapping, you have to give Bad Robot takes a cut of the royalties, a portion goes to charity, the lock and box need to stand up, you gotta pay Zach and Andrei for advertising and some how Theory11 has to make money off this. If there was ever a good reason for a deck to cost more than 10 bucks it's this.

Those reasons alone would make it something but this is a deck of cards that tells a story that is bigger than, pick a card, and bigger than a cool trailer. Even if they failed at delivering a bigger message there are some serious points for trying.

I think this is a good product, I don't think it's for me but I do like it. That said I can see why it was such a big deal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results