We've been dreaming. The Mystery Box.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
While I appreciate this box and cards as beautiful works of art, I feel as though they mark a major shift in the objective of the company. Theory11 use to be about the art of magic, with a major stress on performance and presentation where the community was encouraged to go out and perform in front of real people. With this box being pinned as one of the most influential projects to date, it seems as though the company has dove into the business of material items and magic culture. While there is nothing wrong with this, I personally miss the old mission. The old mission was what inspired wonder in me, not a wooden box.

Hey Adam, few thoughts in response to this. First, there absolutely has not been any shift in our objective. Our objective, from the start, has been sharing wonder. That objective was DIRECTLY and unapologetically inspired by JJ Abrams' TED talk in 2007. I remember watching it and the feeling of awe and wonder that even made ME obsessed with his mysterious box. I wanted to share in that feeling, and vicariously I did. All at once I realized why we all do magic - we are obsessed by that feeling of NOT knowing. That sensation of awe and wonder and intrigue, and we love it so much that we revel in the idea of sharing it with others. The power to provide that. We obsess over that. I certainly do.

The objective of this Mystery Box is exactly that, on two levels. Firstly, the exact contents and hidden secrets throughout are largely unknown, other than the basic premise. The simple question of opening the box, or not, is an invitation to dream of what might possibly be inside of it, and what mysteries reside within. Secondly, the charity chosen to partner with - 826 - is a nonprofit organization that literally promotes the act of imagination, by way of creative writing workshops in schools around the USA.

Lastly, I do believe it is inaccurate to say that our focus is not heavily and passionately on magic. In the past 90 days: Decoy, Overstuft, and The Code (awarded The Thurston Award on The Magic Cafe just last month) - our own creative pipeline in magic has never been more prolific. And that is not to mention The Wire, which is and has been a thriving ecosystem of creativity in magic publication, with 3,270 registered artists and creators around the world.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
For those who are having trouble understanding the value of a project like this, read my other post.

This is not about you.

It's bigger than you.

If you like the cause but the deck or box isn't your thing, then by all means write a check. But take some action and do something rather than not contributing. Put your money where your mouth is so to speak. (to this project or somewhere else!)

If you can't see the value of inspiring people with wonder then you are in the wrong profession/hobby.

Will, your comment about criticism is not fair, and instead a passive aggressive insult.

A project about inspiring wonder - the essence of our art. A project about giving to others. A project that uses a unique platform of selling a product and using it to make a difference in, and draw out the best in others.

Celebrate the good being done here. I don't think anyone is apologetic that this wasn't the 'guaranteed standing ovation' magic trick you were looking for. Because it's bigger than you.

May 19, 2010
For those who are having trouble understanding the value of a project like this, read my other post.

This is not about you.

It's bigger than you.

If you like the cause but the deck or box isn't your thing, then by all means write a check. But take some action and do something rather than not contributing. Put your money where your mouth is so to speak. (to this project or somewhere else!)

If you can't see the value of inspiring people with wonder then you are in the wrong profession/hobby.

Will, your comment about criticism is not fair, and instead a passive aggressive insult.

A project about inspiring wonder - the essence of our art. A project about giving to others. A project that uses a unique platform of selling a product and using it to make a difference in, and draw out the best in others.

Celebrate the good being done here. I don't think anyone is apologetic that this wasn't the 'guaranteed standing ovation' magic trick you were looking for. Because it's bigger than you.
Fair. I guess it is just harder to engender mystery in me because the industry has become so predictable. With that said, I am not heavily involved in the business aspect of the industry so I do not have much of an argument.

Feb 17, 2014
Silver Spring. MD
An additional video about one of the purposes behind this product:

[video=vimeo;87713785]http://vimeo.com/87713785[/video]

Thanks for sharing this. If this video, and Adrei's performance don't inspire you, I guess nothing can. I will send a check as soon as I am able, in addition to my purchase.

Feb 17, 2014
Silver Spring. MD
I would argue that the words beautiful, bizarre, and interesting would be an understatement for a breathtakingly gorgeous, mysterious object devised and designed by the most respected, prolific writer and director in the entertainment field (LOST, Star Trek, Alias, Mission Impossible, Star Wars!).

Clearly, it's far beyond just a "box of cards" - it's a handcrafted lockbox, with the exact contents unknown, laced with mystery and secrets we haven't mentioned, a tribute to JJ's grandfather, and the icing on the cake - it all supports a very deserving non-profit organization whose literal purpose is to inspire all of us to dream. To me, there's nothing more magical than all of that.

Without exaggeration, theory11 would not exist in its present form had I not watched JJ's TED talk in 2007 - it inspired me more than I can begin to express and with this project, our goal today (in more ways than one) is to inspire many more.

Jonathan;
I can't speak for others but I can say that you have inspired me, at my advanced age of 46, to pursue my new found love of magic. Both the web site and this project have inspired me to keep practicing and not lose hope that I can bring the wonder I have found here with others. Kudos to you sir.

Hopefully there are boxes left when I get paid next week.

PS A box would make an awesome prize for a Saturday night contest..... hint hint......

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
I'd love to chime in on this, if I may. As all of you know, I'm a huge art fan. Whether it's my own bottles or the works of others, I truly love art; both as a creator and and as a purchaser.

And if there's one thing I learned about art over the years is that's it's truly priceless; for one very important reason...

The story.

It's not a box you're buying here. Nor is it a deck of cards. These things are pieces of the puzzle, to be sure, but the end result is far greater than it's parts. Why? Because of what you bring to the transaction. Make no mistake, your history- with Theory11, with JJ, with charity- those emotions, those feelings, those pieces of you exist in the very thing you're buying. When I look at something beautiful like this, I don't ask, "What will this do for me?" but rather, "What will this bring out in me?" By having this box on my mantle, when people come over and ask, "Hey, Jamie. What's this?" - what will I tell them? What will we talk about? How will our connection look? And when I remember their visit later- what will our story be?

For me, that's what art is about.

That story. That moment that brings me together with someone else. And sometimes? Sometimes that "someone else" is something I'll learn about myself. A story that I hadn't heard before.

I just had to open the box to find it.

My thoughts,

Jamie D. Grant

Feb 17, 2014
Silver Spring. MD
I'd love to chime in on this, if I may. As all of you know, I'm a huge art fan. Whether it's my own bottles or the works of others, I truly love art; both as a creator and and as a purchaser.

And if there's one thing I learned about art over the years is that's it's truly priceless; for one very important reason...

The story.

It's not a box you're buying here. Nor is it a deck of cards. These things are pieces of the puzzle, to be sure, but the end result is far greater than it's parts. Why? Because of what you bring to the transaction. Make no mistake, your history- with Theory11, with JJ, with charity- those emotions, those feelings, those pieces of you exist in the very thing you're buying. When I look at something beautiful like this, I don't ask, "What will this do for me?" but rather, "What will this bring out in me?" By having this box on my mantle, when people come over and ask, "Hey, Jamie. What's this?" - what will I tell them? What will we talk about? How will our connection look? And when I remember their visit later- what will our story be?

For me, that's what art is about.

That story. That moment that brings me together with someone else. And sometimes? Sometimes that "someone else" is something I'll learn about myself. A story that I hadn't heard before.

I just had to open the box to find it.

My thoughts,

Jamie D. Grant

Excellent points Jamie. I couldn't agree more. I plan to keep the mystery alive when I get mine. I know I will open mine but once I do it will become a canvas for me to bring the mystery and wonder to the people I know, especially the young ones. The possibilities are as endless as my imagination and I couldn't ask for a better canvas. I think I am more excited by this prospect than I am by what's inside.

Feb 28, 2014
Excellent points Jamie. I couldn't agree more. I plan to keep the mystery alive when I get mine. I know I will open mine but once I do it will become a canvas for me to bring the mystery and wonder to the people I know, especially the young ones. The possibilities are as endless as my imagination and I couldn't ask for a better canvas. I think I am more excited by this prospect than I am by what's inside.

Dang, no applauding smiley icon. So I'll have to give both of you one of these :D

Sep 1, 2007
I think that's a bit unfair considering the trivial summary of a project we've worked on for over a year. To us, this project represents a lot more than a "designer deck of cards" - far from it.

Unfortunate you perceived it that way.

I really like this box, it looks awesome and I'm a sucker for red/black decks. That being said, I really wasn't going to chime in, but there have been several unfair or unreasonable things said or implied in this thread that need to be challenged.

? My first question is, why are the people asking questions the people being blamed for not understanding? By creating hype and releasing a product you have asserted that the product is worth our money. The burden of proof is on you to prove that, it's not on us to prove it's not worth our money.

? Maybe you do think it's unfair trivialization and I agree with you. However, you put something up to be judged and someone didn't like it... you asked for this.

? Just because you spent a year working on a project, doesn't mean it's any good. It's arrogant, ignorant, and rude to imply that it's their fault they perceived it incorrectly. Let's be clear: if you communicate a message and it's misunderstood, it's your fault.

? "Unfortunate you perceived it that way." Really? Easily the most passive aggressive and feeble way to pretend you're above someone. How convenient that phrase suggests that you're both superior in intelligence, AND it allows you to negate any criticism by telling yourself, 'it's not your fault they don't get it'

Hold on. Am I misunderstanding? You're comparing boxes from Hobby Lobby and Michael's to this? ...Really? If you need to convince yourself why you don't need this, it's simple, don't get it. But the reference and comparison is hitting below the belt I think, no? Obviously nothing wrong with not liking it or not suiting your tastes, or even meeting your expectations but if you need self convincing, I don't think this is the right way to go.

? You're probably right. This is grossly underestimated, and it feels like a shot below the belt. I can empathize with you on this, I've felt the same way on multiple occasions. However, my problem here is that you're still not taking any responsibility, or even considering their criticisms might have merit. Instead you step way outside of your expertise and suggest they're using a psychological coping mechanism. You should let the box speak for itself, and wait for the reviews to come in, instead of questioning their mental health.

? Andrei, we have several mutual friends, and I hear great things about you. I understand that when you pour a part of yourself into your work, it's hard not to take criticism personally. This just seems out of character from what I've heard about you. You're using your authority and respect on these forums to call into question and bully other well-respected forum members. Please don't take this as a personal attack, I feel the need to stand up for them as I would stand up for you if the situation were reversed.

Justin.Morris said:

This is not about you.

It's bigger than you.

? I'm not sure the value you're referring to here. What's bigger than us? This project? The idea of giving back? Charity?

Justin.Morris said:

? I can get behind this idea of giving back, but I don't see why it's relevant to this project, specifically. Surely we would be doing more good by giving all the money to charity, rather than $1/pack. If this project's values were to give back to charity, wouldn't they do more than $1? It's not even Theory 11 paying the dollar, it's Bad Robot.

Justin.Morris said:

? These terms are ambiguous. How are you defining 'wonder'? And how does 'wonder' = inspiration? Let's assume I do inspire them, what am I inspiring them to do? I think you're equating inspiration or wonder with success, but I don't see how those things connect. Doesn't it make more sense to give them actual means to succeed? Like food and education? I'm just not seeing how creative writing = wonder= inspiration = success.

? It sounds like a great cause in theory, but I don't think you're scrutinizing it enough. Are we doing this so we feel like we helped? Or are we making sure we're actually helping.

? Can you prove this is making a (significant/positive) difference? How are catering to the kids and drawing out the best in them? What if they're not writers? Bummer?

? Prove that there's actual good being done to celebrate. If you don't know, how could you possibly assert that this is bigger than us?! This could be the minimal amount of help we could give. This could be two feet shorter than us, we might make a bigger difference by giving aid to places that provide food and shelter.

? It makes me nervous when someone seems to have a moral high ground. Charities are difficult to scrutinze because people blindly follow what they believe charities stand for, and what they do.

? People, Focus. The trailer they posted on the cards page is entirely emotionally driven, with a kid reading off a script and everything. If you're using the prospect of giving back to charity to help you sell decks of cards It would be nice to know how much actually goes to the charity and how much goes into Theory11's pocket. How are we actually helping? Are kids really helped by this charity? Do they have any data to support the claim that spreading 'wonder' is a worth-while path to pursue?

Why do I feel like I've been teleported to another dimension? Where's Christopher and the other critical thinkers? Either a couple people I greatly respect have greatly surprised me with their behavior at the same time, in the same thread...or I'm going nuts.

Feb 28, 2014
...Why do I feel like I've been teleported to another dimension? Where's Christopher and the other critical thinkers? Either a couple people I greatly respect have greatly surprised me with their behavior at the same time, in the same thread...or I'm going nuts.

Ha, now you're questioning your *own* mental health! ;)

Why are the naysayers assuming each and every deck will be identical? And that the $150 box is just a locked wood box with a bunch of decks inside? To me, it's clear there is more to this product than we know (and I don't mean some intangible 'doing good for others' feeling or 'advocating for the Mysterium tremendum et fascinans'. I mean there is physically more to this product than has been revealed so far!)

Most of the negativity seems related to disappointment in the final product. But you haven't even opened it yet!

Apr 17, 2013
Why are the naysayers assuming each and every deck will be identical? ...
Most of the negativity seems related to disappointment in the final product. But you haven't even opened it yet!

Well I'm guess it is because on the produce page it says the box comes with 12 mystery box decks. As for not opening it yet I'm not even planning on buying one. There is no appeal in this for me. Some of the other people has said so as well. For $150 we should know what we are getting.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Well I'm guess it is because on the produce page it says the box comes with 12 mystery box decks. As for not opening it yet I'm not even planning on buying one. There is no appeal in this for me. Some of the other people has said so as well. For $150 we should know what we are getting.

Plus, if we know what we are getting, the price for the "mystery" is too damn high. No mystery for 10 bucks a deck!

BTW, I loved Austin Fields' post. A lot of really interesting points can be found there. As I said earlier, this deck sells for 10 bucks and only 1 is given to charity, we have seen bigger efforts than that. If your objective is to help charity with this, stop. Don't buy it, just give the money you were about to spend to whatever charity you like. There's no way to change the world unless we really try.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
If your objective is to help charity with this, stop. Don't buy it, just give the money you were about to spend to whatever charity you like. There's no way to change the world unless we really try.

Then actually do it! I'm sure if T11 inspired a handful of people to give to a cause they believed in, they would say mission accomplished! The problem is most wont do what you just said. They are all talk. But if you like the product, you get both!

If you don't like the product and don't want to give in your own way, then don't criticize the efforts of others. It's bad form.

Feb 23, 2014
Why all the negativity? Seriously - if you don't like it, don't buy it. trikuxabi, your argument of not donating "enough" to charity is silly. theory11 is a business and deserves to operate as one, especially when they clearly pour this much time and effort and passion into a project.

Bicycle only donated $0.15 PER DECK for their Wounded Warrior cards. Bicycle only donated $0.15 per deck for their Breast Cancer Awareness cards - and those were projects that (supposedly) were only focused on the charity, and this isn't that and they're donating 6 TIMES more! I applaud them - not just for this but for their Charity Water collaboration and World Wildlife Fund. Dan and Dave's HMNIM deck sells for $11.95 - and how much of that goes to charity? None. So let's applaud theory11 instead of bash them about that. No one has done more for charity in this industry than theory11.

Anyways, no need for the negativity. Agree to disagree. Leave it at that. If you guys don't like this, don't buy it, but don't sit around in their own forums and bash them for a project that the rest of the world, and many members like myself, are loudly applauding.

I love it. I understand it. I appreciate it. And I can't wait to have it!

Feb 23, 2014
Let me start by saying I'm a HUGE J.J. Abrams fan! The fact that theory11 is collaborating with him on a project was like a dream come true. This project is remarkable, and here's why: I watched that TED talk in 2007 or 2008 and I was totally excited to see a person of J.J.'s stature talk about MAGIC (our artform) in such a respected forum. As I listened to him, I remember feeling a sense of pride as he spoke about how much magic and mystery influenced his work (I was a huge fan of LOST). That inspired me to more deeply appreciate the power and influence of magic, not just in getting people to react and freak out when I do card tricks, but to dream and wonder and imagine the possibilities.

I bought four decks and one Mystery Lockbox. I'll never open the lockbox. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW what's inside! I want to wonder! But I got the four extra decks so I could play with those without feeling a sense of loss if I had opened that lockbox. It will stay on my bookshelf, and one day, maybe I'll give it to someone else. That would be the greatest feeling of all.

Feb 23, 2014
Love the lockbox! Just ordered one. Can't wait. Quick question: does it come locked? If so, how do we find out the combination?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Love the lockbox! Just ordered one. Can't wait. Quick question: does it come locked? If so, how do we find out the combination?

Yes, the lockbox comes with the lock attached! And no, we don't provide the combination. But, if you read the letter from J.J. Abrams that comes with each lockbox, and you follow our clues, you'll be able to decipher it - that is, if you choose to open it.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I bought four decks and one Mystery Lockbox. I'll never open the lockbox. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW what's inside! I want to wonder! But I got the four extra decks so I could play with those without feeling a sense of loss if I had opened that lockbox. It will stay on my bookshelf, and one day, maybe I'll give it to someone else. That would be the greatest feeling of all.

Wow, thank you! And yes, perhaps the greatest goal of this project is EXACTLY what you mentioned. Not just the idea of someone getting this for themselves, but the act of sharing it with others - giving it to a friend, or family member, as a gift. Just like that box that J.J. got from his grandfather as a child at Tannen's. Providing that sense of wonder to someone else.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I applaud them - not just for this but for their Charity Water collaboration and World Wildlife Fund.

Being able to do projects like that has been so fulfilling for us. Obviously, theory11 is a business and we can't do everything for charity, but it's been a huge privilege for us to work with so many in the past few years. In particular, charity: water, just because the direct effects are so immediately visible. To date, we've raised over $45,000 towards charity: water operations. Each well they build costs about $5,000 to make - so that's enough for NINE wells, providing clean water to over 2,250 people in Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda, Cambodia, and more. All of that, from just a deck of cards, is amazing.

Feb 23, 2014
Yes, the lockbox comes with the lock attached! And no, we don't provide the combination. But, if you read the letter from J.J. Abrams that comes with each lockbox, and you follow our clues, you'll be able to decipher it - that is, if you choose to open it.

I love that! I don't know if I want to open it or not yet. Are all of the lock combinations the same, or is each one different?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results