DIY Topit

Nov 12, 2016
In the past I have never really looked into buying a topit as I never previously wore a jacket while performing. As I am looking to begin table hopping and strolling I have become interested in topits. I was wondering if I could create my own, and if so how? All related ideas are welcome.

If this is classed as exposure, sorry you may remove this thread. It is probably best if you have ideas about a DIY topit to PM them to me rather than reply to this thread as I am sure a few of the other members may not be familiar with a topit and the workings of one.

Regards,
Tom

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Ya, it's best to pick up someone's design (maybe a couple). I know with Ammar's, there was quite a lot of consideration that went into it. A friend gave me his pin-in topit, and it was pretty much useless. I picked up Ammar's pattern and it added a lot of clarity. You still need to DIY, and can tweak it any way you like, but it gives you the guidance you need on the cheap.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I know there's one design that's totally removable and let's you take your jack off and put it back on and still use the topit (not possible so easily with Ammar's) but I can't remember the name. 21st Century Topic, I think?

Ammar's is a work horse. It does exactly what it needs to do, and does it well.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
If you understand the main idea of a topit you can go ahead and make one. Topits entered the magic community from shop lifters and thiefs. No one really owns the idea. That said a few people have improved the design; Michael Ammar, Jeff Kaylor and David Penn all have popular designs. Most of the time when you purchase a topit you are actually getting a pattern. This then has to be added to a jacket by a tailor or yourself. They often become DIY anyways.

My advice is to go to a magic club. Ask around to see if anyone uses a topit and ask how they installed it. Purchase a design you like and ask for their help in installing it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I tried making my own Topit at first. Would have been cheaper just to buy Ammar's in the first place. He's already done the leg work to know the common mistakes.

Also, it is worth it to pay a tailor to install them properly in my opinion. Depending on what you want to do. If you aren't worried about retrieving from the pocket, then doing it yourself is easy. But to alter the jacket for the pocket retrieval is something I wouldn't do myself, personally.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results