Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Hiya! As weird as it is, I've never really done an ACR as I felt like it was too overused. That is until recently when I tested one out on someone using a few basic sleights I already knew. He freaked out and now I've started trying to expand the trick with more controls and whatnot.

This is my very short routine so far:

-Marlo tilt then DL
-top card gets put in center by spectator and jumps to the top
-card to mouth
-crimped card visually jumps to top

I recently bought an omni deck but I'm not sure how to really do the "switch" at the end of the trick. I've thought about having a second person pick a card and then while they look at it, I do the switch and then proceed to find both of their cards and make the deck "disappear"

Also, I know the trick is much cooler with a signed card/mercury fold reveal, but I prefer not to destroy my cards until the deck gets really old. So I don't have them sign the card and I don't do reveals like having it folded up in my pocket or shoe very often. I've thought about using those small colored dot stickers you see for yard sale pricing and having someone initial that but I feel like it's not as effective as a signed card.

Anyway, my main question was what sort of "jumps" and unique controls could I do to bring it to the top? I keep repeating unique because I like that each jump is different in it's own way. I also have Lee Asher's losing control booklet which I could put at the beginning once I get my reverse spread down. I don't do the pass because I personally don't think it's worth learning. I don't see any real reason to control a card to the top by moving half the deck. Any ideas?

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I recently bought an omni deck but I'm not sure how to really do the "switch" at the end of the trick. I've thought about having a second person pick a card and then while they look at it, I do the switch and then proceed to find both of their cards and make the deck "disappear"
My concern with these additions to an Ambition Card routine is that it changes the effect entirely. You have been doing a trick where the selected card keeps jumping to the top of the deck, but then suddenly the deck has become a solid block. It doesn't sync very well.

For "jumps" I love showing the card in the middle of the pack first before making it jump to the top of the deck, and I use the method as described in Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne. His routine is fantastic and I recommend you check it out.

For the closing phase, I don't think you can beat Monkey in the Middle.
The phase starts at 2:30 ish.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
My concern with these additions to an Ambition Card routine is that it changes the effect entirely. You have been doing a trick where the selected card keeps jumping to the top of the deck, but then suddenly the deck has become a solid block. It doesn't sync very well.

For "jumps" I love showing the card in the middle of the pack first before making it jump to the top of the deck, and I use the method as described in Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne. His routine is fantastic and I recommend you check it out.

For the closing phase, I don't think you can beat Monkey in the Middle.
The phase starts at 2:30 ish.
My explanation is that I get both cards to get to the top of the deck in their hands and then since I'm done with the trick, I make the deck vanish. I've tried thinking of other ways to use the deck within another routine rather than just having the trick be the omni deck itself.

I also thought of maybe doing a haunted deck thing at the end and having the deck literally jump from the deck.

I really like your ideas though! I'll definitely have to try these out.

Feb 1, 2017
Using a different control to get the card to the top doesn't matter because what the spectator sees is the same thing: a card rising to the top. Card to mouth is very powerful to a layman. You could literally end the routine there. Sometimes less is more. You could, however, change your kicker every so often to keep the routine fresh for you.

Look up Pixel by David Jade. It's fun and easy to do.

Reactions: Josh Burch

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Using a different control to get the card to the top doesn't matter because what the spectator sees is the same thing: a card rising to the top. Card to mouth is very powerful to a layman. You could literally end the routine there. Sometimes less is more. You could, however, change your kicker every so often to keep the routine fresh for you.

Look up Pixel by David Jade. It's fun and easy to do.
That's what I mean by "unique". I don't like just having it just jump to the top. That's why the card to mouth and crimp "jump" are in there.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I keep my ACR really short, slow and deliberate.

1. I do the losing control first and make it really clear as to what is happening everything is slow.
2. I then really have them lose the card in the deck. I go through with the cards face up to show that their card is "Still in the middle". I then do a turnover pass controlling their card second from the top. There's some interesting by play and their card appears on top.
3. I then crimp the card and it appears on top.

In the first phase they are watching me like a hawk, second phase they see it in the middle, third phase they see the card arrive.

I use the omni deck (I actually use Diamond Jim Tyler's Ominous deck) as a kicker, or an encore. I make a big deal out of the idea that maybe I have doubles and in all of the first phases the card was not signed. I then have them sign the card, do the switch and finish with the omni deck. I act as if I am having them hold onto the deck to do the ACR one more time, I then say that I'll one up myself and make the cards vanish and make something appear in their place.

Jay Sankey had the idea of holding a wallet above the deck and having the card jump up to the top and into the wallet.

There is also the idea of learning a visual rise. Nick Lawrence has one with Penguin that is easy, practical and gimmick-less. There are of course other versions of Rays Rise and such.

One thing to keep in mind is that the original version of the ambitious card didn't make the card come to the top of the deck repeatedly. It actually was the idea that every card in the deck was the selection. Maybe play around with that approach.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California

1. I do the losing control first and make it really clear as to what is happening everything is slow.
2. I then really have them lose the card in the deck. I go through with the cards face up to show that their card is "Still in the middle". I then do a turnover pass controlling their card second from the top. There's some interesting by play and their card appears on top.
3. I then crimp the card and it appears on top.

In the first phase they are watching me like a hawk, second phase they see it in the middle, third phase they see the card arrive.

I use the omni deck (I actually use Diamond Jim Tyler's Ominous deck) as a kicker, or an encore. I make a big deal out of the idea that maybe I have doubles and in all of the first phases the card was not signed. I then have them sign the card, do the switch and finish with the omni deck. I act as if I am having them hold onto the deck to do the ACR one more time, I then say that I'll one up myself and make the cards vanish and make something appear in their place.

Jay Sankey had the idea of holding a wallet above the deck and having the card jump up to the top and into the wallet.

There is also the idea of learning a visual rise. Nick Lawrence has one with Penguin that is easy, practical and gimmick-less. There are of course other versions of Rays Rise and such.

One thing to keep in mind is that the original version of the ambitious card didn't make the card come to the top of the deck repeatedly. It actually was the idea that every card in the deck was the selection. Maybe play around with that approach.
I like it!

And I've heard the ACR was meant to be a "every card is your card trick" but I'm not sure I like that approach. Usually after people think about it for a second, they're like "wait! are they all the same card?". Showing them the deck usually fixes that but still

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
My ACR is simple, fairly visual, and punchy.

Card is peeked from the deck, then appears face up on the top.
Selection is placed on the bottom, appears on the top.
Selection goes to the bottom again, appears on top (this is the only direct repeat of a phase)
Selection is flipped face up, goes to the bottom, slowly rises through the deck to the top. (combination of techniques for this one, not Ray's Rise)
Selection is signed to make it completely unique, placed at the bottom of the deck, the deck vanishes except for the selection.

When I was busking I had two endings. I either ended with the Omni deck from Shawn Farquhar, turning the deck into glass, or I turned the deck into steel plates with a pass trainer. The mechanics are exactly the same. For the steel deck, I would have the card signed and then returned to the deck (Tilt), and then have 2-4 people hold their hands out like a table, supporting each other, and dribble the plates into their hands and show the signed selection at the end. This was great for busking because it was -loud- and drew a lot of attention.

The only reason I just vanish the deck now is because I don't want to carry around an Omni deck or pass trainers, but I like to end it in a way that says, "And now we're done because the cards are gone." No more card tricks if there's no cards. I do have a way to bring them back if I'm in the mood to keep going, though.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Jul 26, 2016
i am not fond of the "every card is your card," as it implants a suggestion that the cards are "trick cards."

Here's a move I like that gets a great reaction, and makes the spectator look like a star. I believe I learned it long ago from Daryl, bless his soul:

After revealing the card has come to the top and while they are reacting, immediately do a top change. You are now holding an indifferent card face down which they believe is the AC. You extend the deck in the palm of your hand asking the spectator (let's imagine her name is "Mary") "Mary, please cut off some cards from the deck." After she does that, you place the face-down indifferent card you are holding on top of the cards you are holding and ask her to place the cards she cut off on top. They think the AC now somewhere in the middle. You immediately hand her the deck, saying, "I don't even want to touch the cards," and you ask her to snap her fingers or wave her hand or both. Then you say,"Turn over the top card, show everybody, and bow to your thunderous applause. Awesome, Let's hear it for Mary!"

It is a miracle in the spectator's own hand, she is the star, and everyone applauds (for which YOU get the credit when the host or party planner and/or other guests hear it.) Try it, you'll like it...

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
My ACR is simple, fairly visual, and punchy.

Card is peeked from the deck, then appears face up on the top.
Selection is placed on the bottom, appears on the top.
Selection goes to the bottom again, appears on top (this is the only direct repeat of a phase)
Selection is flipped face up, goes to the bottom, slowly rises through the deck to the top. (combination of techniques for this one, not Ray's Rise)
Selection is signed to make it completely unique, placed at the bottom of the deck, the deck vanishes except for the selection.

When I was busking I had two endings. I either ended with the Omni deck from Shawn Farquhar, turning the deck into glass, or I turned the deck into steel plates with a pass trainer. The mechanics are exactly the same. For the steel deck, I would have the card signed and then returned to the deck (Tilt), and then have 2-4 people hold their hands out like a table, supporting each other, and dribble the plates into their hands and show the signed selection at the end. This was great for busking because it was -loud- and drew a lot of attention.

The only reason I just vanish the deck now is because I don't want to carry around an Omni deck or pass trainers, but I like to end it in a way that says, "And now we're done because the cards are gone." No more card tricks if there's no cards. I do have a way to bring them back if I'm in the mood to keep going, though.
I like your presentation of it.The words you used to describe it seem spot on. Simple, fairly visual, and punchy. I like the idea of having it go from the very bottom to the top.

Your ending is very similar to mine. From the few uses I've gotten out of it, I tell them to squeeze it hard because I'm going to make the deck vanish. That almost makes them think it's going to collapse or something. Then when I say the cards have vanished they are like "umm no they haven't" and the surprise when they open their hands is incredible.

A person who sits next to me in math was shuffling my cards so I told him to pull one out and not to show me. I put it "back in the middle" and had him hold it in his hands. I pull out one card which ends up being wrong and then pulled out his card. After that, I made the deck "vanish" and he freaked out. The omni deck literally got passed around the classroom before I got it back.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
i am not fond of the "every card is your card," as it implants a suggestion that the cards are "trick cards."

Here's a move I like that gets a great reaction, and makes the spectator look like a star. I believe I learned it long ago from Daryl, bless his soul:

After revealing the card has come to the top and while they are reacting, immediately do a top change. You are now holding an indifferent card face down which they believe is the AC. You extend the deck in the palm of your hand asking the spectator (let's imagine her name is "Mary") "Mary, please cut off some cards from the deck." After she does that, you place the face-down indifferent card you are holding on top of the cards you are holding and ask her to place the cards she cut off on top. They think the AC now somewhere in the middle. You immediately hand her the deck, saying, "I don't even want to touch the cards," and you ask her to snap her fingers or wave her hand or both. Then you say,"Turn over the top card, show everybody, and bow to your thunderous applause. Awesome, Let's hear it for Mary!"

It is a miracle in the spectator's own hand, she is the star, and everyone applauds (for which YOU get the credit when the host or party planner and/or other guests hear it.) Try it, you'll like it...
That sounds very similar to the way I use the DL. I usually have the spectator cut the deck and place the card there. I like the idea of using a top change to get a similar effect though.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
For a contest I did it slightly differently, which may be of interest - I combined a color changing deck with the slow rise concept. So the selection went from a blue back to a red back, then as it moved through the deck, the deck turned red as well.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@Antonio Diavolo

Get a bunch of Bicycle Standards. I got a 12 pack at Costco for less than $10. Sign them, fold them, mutulate them to your hearts content.

As for the Omni Deck, I'll send you my handling in a PM.

That is the best way to do it. I see a lot of guys try to be really quick with everything in an effort I believe to cover moves but I think it looks way cooler when it's slow, deliberate, and smooth.

The heart of the ACR is how you choose to end it. I see recommendations of the Omni Deck which is a great ending. I personally like to use a transpo to my car keys or to a glass box that was in view the whole time. A variation that I really think is neat is on the Rapture by Edward Boswell DVD/download of a visually watching the card rise through the deck and ending up on top.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
That is the best way to do it. I see a lot of guys try to be really quick with everything in an effort I believe to cover moves but I think it looks way cooler when it's slow, deliberate, and smooth.

The heart of the ACR is how you choose to end it. I see recommendations of the Omni Deck which is a great ending. I personally like to use a transpo to my car keys or to a glass box that was in view the whole time. A variation that I really think is neat is on the Rapture by Edward Boswell DVD/download of a visually watching the card rise through the deck and ending up on top.
If I could afford it, I'd buy the Clarity Box in a heartbeat. Really incredible reveal.

The way it works is so clever! Would've never thought of it until I saw it for the second time live and the guy briefly messed up. No one else noticed though. The method is absolutely ingenious!
I bet you I know exactly why he messed up because there is a potential flaw with Clarity Box. It gets sealed airtight which will make the "EMERGENCY USE ONLY" sign pop off when the top is removed which is devastating. The fix I found for that is to use either double stick tape or some other sticky substance to prevent that temporary popping off when the top is removed.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I bet you I know exactly why he messed up because there is a potential flaw with Clarity Box. It gets sealed airtight which will make the "EMERGENCY USE ONLY" sign pop off when the top is removed which is devastating. The fix I found for that is to use either double stick tape or some other sticky substance to prevent that temporary popping off when the top is removed.
Actually, the "gimmick" didn't umm close? properly. If that makes sense. It sorta bounced before clicking into place. Idk if that's exposure or not.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results