My Card Press

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Hey guys-

A few weekends ago, I was experimenting with different ways to press cards to make them flat. Obviously, I was recommended the Joe Porper Clip, but my Dad and I, being the creative geniuses that we are, decided to make our own card press.

This is just a prototype, and we have a goal to build a new one that maybe looks and works a bit better.

Here are some pictures:

Pictures 001.jpg Pictures 002.jpg Pictures 003.jpg Pictures 004.jpg

So, my question is: is there a market for these things? We can make them fairly cheap, but I just want to feel out the community and see what you guys think. If Mr. Bayme could take a look at 'em- would theory11 ever consider selling them?

Selling them isn't really important to me right now I'm just glad I have one that works. I'm not sure how long it takes to flatten the cards out, I just put them in there overnight, and they flatten by morning.

So tell me what you think, if you'd be interested, etc. Thanks, guys! And if you have any questions, let me know. And I know the pictures aren't the best; I'll try to take some better ones later... my camera was running out of batteries so I was in a bit of a hurry.

-Drew

May 2, 2008
Hey guys-

A few weekends ago, I was experimenting with different ways to press cards to make them flat. Obviously, I was recommended the Joe Porper Clip, but my Dad and I, being the creative geniuses that we are, decided to make our own card press.

I find that statement to be very arrogant, and I would not purchase this for that reason. :mad:

Just to let you know, you hurt my feelings and made me cry.

Nov 17, 2007
Hmm...Don't think that would be very necesary. It looks big and heavy so shipping will cost an arm and a leg. Also, I think I'll stick with my porper. After spending 30 bucks on it, I think I'll stick with it.

Now, this card press is really cool, and good for you for thinking outside of the box. However, I do agree that this will only be marketable if it is able to be sized down a great deal. But you said that for now it doesn't matter about selling it so just have fun having what others don't.

I understand the design and how the contraption works and I am able to see that this is VERY possible to size down. This tool could probably be shrunken down to about the size of a deck of cards. That would make it very convienient and great to have.

Dylan P.

PS: After seeing this it reminded me of an item that I saw on Ebay a few months ago. For those of you who own a stripper deck then you will know the secret. Well, the machine on ebay was an automatic card shaver. Put a deck through once and it is a stripper. However, it was being bidded on every second going higher than 2000 dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 30, 2007
I'm sure I'd buy one, as many of my decks could really use this.

And to whoever said his statement was arrogant, he was just kidding around, lighten up.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
This is what I do..

Starting doing it a week ago.. works great and it's much easier and smaller. If you could make it so it's not metal or a lighter metal and not so big you'd have a better chance of selling it.

Attachments

• DSC00521.jpg
    DSC00521.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00520.jpg
    DSC00520.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 109
Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I think it looks pretty cool. Being the creative genius that you are...

Thank you.

Looks alright. I would rather have a smaller one that I could actually bring around, etc. such as this one

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/card-p...ic-p-5000.html

Eh, there's no reason to have that for me. I can fit this in my bag whenever I'm going back and forth from my Dad's house, and I don't really have a reason for it to fit in my pocket. But it would be a bit handier if it was smaller.

I find that statement to be very arrogant, and I would not purchase this for that reason.

Just to let you know, you hurt my feelings and made me cry.

Whatever floats your boat. I was just joking around; wasn't trying to be arrogant or anything like that... I apologize if I came off that way.

Way to go for thinking outside the box adjones!

Thanks. And call me Drew!

Hmm...Don't think that would be very necesary. It looks big and heavy so shipping will cost an arm and a leg. Also, I think I'll stick with my porper. After spending 30 bucks on it, I think I'll stick with it.

I completely understand. For me, though, it was handy just ebcause we had the materials and tools laying around. It's made of aluminum, so it's actually not as heavy as it looks. It's about... eh, 8-10 inches long and 4 inches high; approximately. Once I get home I'll get some proper measurements. Yesterday I was in a hurry to leave so I didn't really have time to give this thread the necessary time.

Cool device, what exactly is a "Card Presser" supposed to do? Flatten out bent cards?

Yeah, since besides eating and running, all I do is sit around the house most days, my cards get a lot of wear and tear. I just stick 'em in this thing overnight, and they come out flat. The finish and everything stays the same, but they are considerably flat.

Like Lumas suggested, find a way to make it smaller so it's easier to carry around. Then you may be able to sell it.

I'm planning on talking it over with my Dad this weekend about making it smaller. Like I said, selling it isn't a big goal right now at all, I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Now, this card press is really cool, and good for you for thinking outside of the box. However, I do agree that this will only be marketable if it is able to be sized down a great deal. But you said that for now it doesn't matter about selling it so just have fun having what others don't.

Yup, that's what I plan on for now.

I understand the design and how the contraption works and I am able to see that this is VERY possible to size down. This tool could probably be shrunken down to about the size of a deck of cards. That would make it very convienient and great to have.

Yeah, the design itself isn't very complicated at all, and we pretty much came up with it on the spot, just with what was laying around the garage. I'll talk to my Dad this weekend about possibly sizing it down.

Nicely done, I bet it works very well.

Thanks. And yes, it does its job pretty well.

I'm sure I'd buy one, as many of my decks could really use this.

And to whoever said his statement was arrogant, he was just kidding around, lighten up.

Well, if we get it shrunken down a little bit, I'll be sure to let you know.

And yes- it was just a joke! Lighten up!

Why have something that bulky when I can just have one right in my pocket?

Personally, I think it looks cooler than a Porper. Second, you can apply much more pressure with this, and therefore flatten out your cards much faster and better.

But I agree, it would be handy just to be able to put them in your pocket and not worry about them.

This is what I do..

Starting doing it a week ago.. works great and it's much easier and smaller. If you could make it so it's not metal or a lighter metal and not so big you'd have a better chance of selling it.

That's basically what we started out doing. However, the wood started to bend if we applied too much pressure, and we couldn't get it to apply evenly very well.

And it's definitely not a heavy metal; it's alluminum. But I'll get the exact measurements later tonight, including weight.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it!

And like I said, selling is not our goal with this; we were just seeing what we could come up with, and I wanted to see if any of you would be interested. I'll let you know this weekend if we can come up with anything smaller. Like I said, this one's just a prototype for now.

Thanks again!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Hey guys, I got the dimensions and everything worked out...

It is 7.5" long, 2.5" high, and 3" deep.

I also drew three views and an isometric (3D) of it in AutoCAD, and saved it as a PDF, so anybody wanting to view it and get a feel for what it looks like, just E-Mail me at drew.jones@rocketmail.com, and I'll send it your way. It has dimensions, and you can tell what it looks like and everything from there.

So if you would like the PDF, it's completely free, and I'll send it to you ASAP, and you can see what it looks like.

*waits for new E-Mails*

Oh, and if anyone knows of a place I can put it online for people to download it, please let me know... it'd be much easier than E-Mail! Thanks!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
By the way, I finally figured out a way to get the PDF onto here. It wasn't that complicated, just took me a while to find the right buttons. And yes, I spent 2 hours doing this... measuring everything, drawing it. But it was fun.

^^Click for larger size.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results