When did you start?

Maybe the question has been asked before, althought I haven't been able to find a post related to it.
Feel free to redirect me and delete this thread if so.

When did you start? What was the "thing" that made you go "let's learn it".

As far as I'm concerned, I'm almost 30, started as a "total beginner" last january. I'm following The Royal Road along with Card College, practice everyday since.
I've always been amazed by magic, especially card magic, and I decided to give it a go! I feel stupid not to have realized that earlier though... :p

Bonus question : is it too late for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
At the start of College, I started playing poker every day (I played a while before then aswell) and basically, I wanted to be a able to shuffle like pro's, one thing led to another and wallah!

And no, it's never too late :)

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Well lets see, I have studied and practiced for over a period of 5 to 9 years, but just as recently as a couple of years ago im pursuing a professional career, now im only 20 years old, i feel like im a little behind in the craft, but as long as u have the passion and charisma, its never too late to start an never too late to make new friends.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
n30...don't feel bad. I am 31 and just recently started getting into magic heavily and doing paid gigs. I used to dab and play around a little bit but just within the past year got bitten by the magic "bug" so to speak. For the past 8 years I just did a few tricks here and there for my own enjoyment and to entertain my parents and brother. One thing led to another and now I do tricks for my 4th grade students every Friday, perform paid gigs such as birthday parties, business events, private house parties, etc. I also have jumped into balloon sculpting as well now and get paid for doing that as well at events such as school festivals and what not. I even joined my local ring.

I would say that when I was a young child I enjoyed watching Copperfield on TV and then met a magician who performed for my Boy Scout troop when I was about 10 or 11. From that point on I was hooked on watching magic but never really purchased anything or effects until late 20's. Now it is a huge part of my life and i find myself watching dvds, shows on tv, reading books, and practicing daily.

I love it.

Feb 16, 2009
England
I am 16yrs old and I started magic at the age of 10. I am starting sixth form soon and in two years once I have finished with school, I am going to start a career in magic.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Well i got started around april(ish) 2007 and this is a video of me in my first week of magic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phjWsHjqykg I know i was sexy back them.

oh yes jack.

anywho, well i started last april [2008] so im almost a year in.

and its never too late. well unless u decide to start doing magic and you know your gonna die in like 30 seconds then i guess its too late. but as long as you really wanna do something you'll find a way, if you don't you'll find an excuse ;]

-Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
I was 20 years old when I started magic. Just entering my first year of college, I put down my basketball, even though I was scouted to play division one (at that time a future bench warmer for Syracuse) and picked up a deck of cards. I knew a few tricks here and there, but when I saw Blaine put a card through a window...guess thought of cards...and float...well, I was in love...not with Blaine, but with magic.

I called my local magic shop and asked if I could buy the trick where you "throw the card through the window" - the show owner said, "well...we do have an effect where you can throw cards at a sheet of glass...and the card will end up between them". "Great", I replied, "How much"? "300 dollars" - "Oh, okay, thanks anyways" - he then said, "Well, we do have a trick where you can throw a deck up to the ceiling and the card sticks...and this card is signed". Long story short - the shop owner introduced me to Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles - he then convinced me to buy Royal Road and the Art of Astonishment Trilogy - after that I was HOOKED!

I am 32 years old now - and love magic as much as I did when I was first fried by Blaine's special....thankfully, I surpassed the "Blaine wannabe stage" very fast - and was lucky enough to take the advice of the shop owner. It is hard to decide what to buy with all that crap out there, when you don't know anyone's name - as they don't really exist as stars outside the circle.

Magic has opened so many doors for me - not just magic related - and it just goes to show you - it is not why you start magic, it is what you do once you have decided to start magic...maybe better said:

It is not how you receive the gift of magic, but how you treat it when you give it to others.

Twelve years and I wish I started earlier!!!

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I knew a few tricks here and there, but when I saw Blaine put a card through a window...guess thought of cards...and float...well, I was in love...not with Blaine, but with magic.

Suuuuuure ;) :p We all know about your not-so-secret crush on Blaine.

I started around October 2006? After I saw my friend do a backpalm production and the Chicago Opener I started getting into it... though, I had a rather bad start in magic, learning from youtube, not practicing very much etc. the problem was that I had no guidance really, I really only started taking things seriously about a year to a year and a half ago. Thanks to these forums and some of it's members I've come leaps and bounds (if I do say so myself) from where I was when I started.

My advice if you're just starting out ?(it's never too late in my opinion) Take advantage of all the help that surrounds you that takes form in the experience of others. I only wish that I had the help and discussions that I have now back when I was starting out.

- Sean

I have been learning magic since 1995, which has lead me to perform professionally; from children's parties to working for major companies such as the Hilton Hotel Group and Jaguar Cars. - However, education is smack bang in my way at the moment.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
My grandfather got me into magic when I saw him perform for me when I was 6 or 7. I slipped in and out of it and never really took it seriously until about 3 years ago. Now everything is going great and I am much more serious about my card work.

Sep 1, 2007
I started doing tricks when I was seven after I learned a cool way to make a coin disappear on the Disney Channel (which had fallen so heart-breakingly far since).

I was inspired two years before that when a magician in an airport did a card tear and restoration in my very own hand. Before that, even, my sister would torment me with self-working card tricks and the like (such as the devious one-ahead principle).

I took a break for a while and started again when I was given David Blaine's book for my Bar-Mitzvah and soon thereafter was given Mark Wilson's complete course in magic.

I stopped again until my sophomore year of high-school after I saw the "Prestige" (which is a very important movie to see if you're a magician--ignore that Edward Norton "Illusionist" crap). I've been doing close-up sleight-of-hand ever since.

My point, of course, is that magic was something that was always present and that I kept coming back to despite the myriad distractions of the rest of my life. If you have a true passion for the art, it shouldn't matter when you start.

I know a woman who is in her 50's who started to do watercolor painting a few years ago. She loves it and has become much better than some artists I know who have painted their entire lives.

There is no such thing as starting late--you start when you want to.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
To make a long story short, I was 9 or ten when I first learned/performed (for my family, of course - from the book 101 Card Tricks Without Sleight Of Hand, John Scarne).

Since then, my interest in magic has peaked and faded; about a year and a half ago I decided I was going to get serious with it again, and have stayed so ever since.

I am now 18. And it's NEVER too late for anything - as cliche as it sounds: There's always a way. All you need is the will!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results