In Possession of a Spectator's Signed Card

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Okay so I did a show a while back and I held on to the card that one of the spectators signed during a trick (3 of Hearts). I'll be doing a show again soon and I know that she will be there.
So this idea popped into my head: I'll have her sign a duplicate 3 of hearts in the same way and have the original 3 already set up somewhere. I just wanted suggestions on where or what I should do with the 3 beforehand.
Basically what's a good effect that uses a duplicate, but I'll have it 'signed'?
Thanks for your ideas!

Oct 11, 2008
I'd be creative, do something truely unreal. Have her destory the card herself, then reveal it somewhere across the room.

Although, you're going to need to make sure the signature is at least similar.

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd be creative, do something truely unreal. Have her destory the card herself, then reveal it somewhere across the room.

Although, you're going to need to make sure the signature is at least similar.

Yes, if she signs and I know it doesn't look the same (or very similar anyway) then I'll just and do another trick with the selection.

Right now I know of a trophy display case where I'll be performing. I've asked if I can get access to the case so I can place the card against the glass inside there, I'll go with that is I don't get any other better ideas.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Hmmmm. If she signs it the right way, you could do something truly epic.
I'm thinking you could maybe do a folded card thing. Give a spectator a box. When you reveal, they open the box take out another box, in that box is a safe, give them the code, they open the safe and find a zip-lock bag with something wrapped in wrapping paper which contains a folded card in a vacuum seal. They open up the seal and unfold the card.

Vwa LA!

.....or slightly less elaborate.

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Hmmmm. If she signs it the right way, you could do something truly epic.
I'm thinking you could maybe do a folded card thing. Give a spectator a box. When you reveal, they open the box take out another box, in that box is a safe, give them the code, they open the safe and find a zip-lock bag with something wrapped in wrapping paper which contains a folded card in a vacuum seal. They open up the seal and unfold the card.

Vwa LA!

.....or slightly less elaborate.

Oh no, something like that would be perfect, especially like the safe idea ;) and the vacuum seal too :p

But yea... it will have to be truly epic :)

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
The best way to take advantage of this would be no to plant the dup in advance, but rather, after she's signed it, switch that for the old card. then load the new card somewhere. This ofcourse limits you to objects you can have near you and logically touch in performance, however, the fact that you then show the card and openly destroy it, with signature visible, then you pull the actual signed card out of the impossible location. Or rather have them do it. This way, if you handle the dup when it's in play showing it casually, keeping it in motion, they won't know the diff, but the final card they keep will, with out a doubt, be the one they signed.

No discrepency this way.

Alternately, you can look aqt Guy Hollingworth's ideas for dup signed cards to impossible location, but only taking advantage of the pre signed card you have.

If you're somewhat confident the signatures will be similar and you have a few dollars to spend, this is what I'd do.

Go to Walmart, Target, etc. and buy a lock-box. Nothing extravagant, just $15 or so. Take the card you have and put it in a seal envelope, and put that inside the lock-box. Mail the box to the address a few days in advance, and request that the client not open it. (they can't anyways, as you have the key)

One of the first few things you do in the show, have her sign a card and do a trick with it. End the trick by making the card disappear (flash paper, rip it up/vanish the pieces, etc). This way, you get to see if the signatures will match. Secondly, there is a time difference between when she signed the card, and the next time she sees it. End the show by having the client get the package you sent, and have them open it. When they see it's a lock box, toss them the key and have her open that as well. Then the client will get the envelope to the female that signed the card, she opens it, and everyone freaks out.

Another idea is to underline the signature on the card she signed that you have, and then when you have her sign another card, put a line on the card (in the same location as the previous one) so that she signs her name where you want her to.

Best of luck!
Steve

P.S. If you go with my above idea, it's crucial that you destroy the card so there can be ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that they can trace that card back. :)

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Another idea is to underline the signature on the card she signed that you have, and then when you have her sign another card, put a line on the card (in the same location as the previous one) so that she signs her name where you want her to.

I like this very much. I'll use it thanks!

Also I'll have the card destroyed. As for where it will end up? Not 100% sure yet.
Thanks everyone for suggestions though :D

Apr 26, 2008
That really is a great idea! The only other thing that i could think of would be an add on to that last trick (with the mailing and lockbox)..

I would get the lock box, envelope (with the dup inside) and then wrap it up in christmas wrapping paper with a little bow on top. Then give it to that girl to hold during ur whole act/routine. Proceed to force, have her sign then burn/rip/mutilate or otherwise have here destroy her card. Then vanish the card (or pieces) and ask her to open the box she was holding for the entire performance. That would be a truly epic closer! ;)

Just an idea.

Jan 12, 2009
I would be careful on how you destroy the card. IT sounds strange, but I was at a Michael Ammar lecture recetly. He told of a story where he took a teachers bill, burned it to ashes, and produced it in a cigarette, but all the teacher could say is "but I saw you take my bill and burn it. I saw you burn MY bill openly." The production had no meaning because burning his bill without and magical meaning and so openly stopped the effect from that moment. You must make sure that you don't leave in the spectators mind that "but I saw you burn my card, right in front of my eyes," and leaves her with no meaning of the rest of the trick. Make sure you lead her in the wrong direction to make her believe that it is possible in some magical way, because you don't want her forgetting the rest of the trick just because she saw her signed card burned right before her eyes, and to her means it is scientifically impossible to actually restore it with any magical means. Hope this might help you in some way, and good luck in your performance.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
If you're somewhat confident the signatures will be similar and you have a few dollars to spend, this is what I'd do.

Go to Walmart, Target, etc. and buy a lock-box. Nothing extravagant, just $15 or so. Take the card you have and put it in a seal envelope, and put that inside the lock-box. Mail the box to the address a few days in advance, and request that the client not open it. (they can't anyways, as you have the key)

One of the first few things you do in the show, have her sign a card and do a trick with it. End the trick by making the card disappear (flash paper, rip it up/vanish the pieces, etc). This way, you get to see if the signatures will match. Secondly, there is a time difference between when she signed the card, and the next time she sees it. End the show by having the client get the package you sent, and have them open it. When they see it's a lock box, toss them the key and have her open that as well. Then the client will get the envelope to the female that signed the card, she opens it, and everyone freaks out.

Best of luck!
Steve

P.S. If you go with my above idea, it's crucial that you destroy the card so there can be ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that they can trace that card back. :)

Getting her address ahead of time may seem suspicious. But that's just me. Especially having a locked box she cant open mailed to her house... :p

Instead...have someone hold the box at the very beginning of the show before your first trick. Make sure its NOT her who holds it. Then, at the end of the card trick when you get to it, hand her the keys and have her go to the person holding the box.

This way, it wont look like she was preselected and raise suspicion, and also wont look creepy that you want to send her something.

-ThrallMind

Getting her address ahead of time may seem suspicious. But that's just me. Especially having a locked box she cant open mailed to her house... :p

Instead...have someone hold the box at the very beginning of the show before your first trick. Make sure its NOT her who holds it. Then, at the end of the card trick when you get to it, hand her the keys and have her go to the person holding the box.

This way, it wont look like she was preselected and raise suspicion, and also wont look creepy that you want to send her something.

-ThrallMind

That's why I said send it to the clients house, not the person who's selected card he has. If you send it to the clients house, knowing that the other lady will be there, then there is nothing at all suspicious about it.

P.S. Why is getting her address ahead of time suspicious? I have every single person that I do a show for sign a contract, with their address on there as well.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
The first thing I thought of was signed card to lemon (inside a locked box that has been in the possession of an audience member the whole time). I dunno why the lemon adds, but I feel it does. The other thing is that if the audience member is a long way away from the person that originally selects it, there is actually no need for the card to make its way back to the signer. That way, she can't actually catch you out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results