Pumping the crowd up

Do any of you, before you perform, (more for a crowd like a close up show) how do you get a crowed pumped up? like so they cheer and clap alot.
i understand this is a performance. but when i perform and i have a good performance of the trick. sometimes the people dont clap and cheer.

so does anyone condition the group to cheer loudly and what not?
just looking for some tips to get the crowd going.
thanks

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I think the big key here is to be really enthusiastic and have real personailty, don't be fake or over enthusiastic, you'll find a solid middle ground.

Use that little slice of character to bellow at the top of your lungs pleasantries, like; "How is everyone doing tonight" and then lean into the crowd as if you're waiting for a response...

Some people like to do practice runs of applause and make a bit of a joke out of it, I don't do this personally, but it works and gets people loosened up!

I think that's probably what you're missing is a "cue" for the audience to respond appropriately, during introducing yourself you could use something similar to the above, but after performing an effect open your self up shriek "thank you very much" and nod your head like a mini bow. Scan your eyes over the audience and they will respond, it's just a case of having people be comfortable with you and with everyone else.

People generally will clap if you tell them to, just do it with your body language rather than saying "Yo. Clap fo' me Sonnnnn!" and you'll be fine.

D.

Sep 20, 2008
Israel
Or sudgest the idea of applause, not directly at you the first time.
For example perform a trick that involves a spectator a bit more that normal, and at the end get them to clap for them. The next trick you do, it will go by naturally and you should get the applause.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I simply talk to the people I'm performing to before I start. And during the effect, it's the normal routine structuring with tension, etc. But mostly, it's quite simply just talking to them, not as a magician but as a person.

Nov 30, 2007
It was basically already said, but I will touch upon it as well. What you want your audience to show, you have to show yourself. If you want an enthusiastic crowd, you have to be enthusiastic. Often times, it might take some guts to do so, but go out and really get them pumped up. This is one clip that is fun to watch. As you can probably tell by the title of the video, that man is Steve Ballmer. More information on him here. What I love about this clip is that as weird as it might be, look at what he really did. He probably seemed crazy to some of the audience, but think how much guts he must have had to go out there and do that. Try and development that confidence, so your enthusiasm can rub off on the audience. Best of luck!

Dee hit the nail on the head. A steady blend of character, showmanship and audience management should make it feel natural for the audience to respond with the animation you're looking for. It's the type of lesson you can read about and study, but youi'll only fully understand and appreciate it with more hands-on experience. Change your act up; use a different character; alter your patter; etc. Make note of such changes and see what works for you first-hand.

If you're the comedic type, you could always make use of those awkward lulls and make gags out of them. I once saw a stand-up comic do a street show and one of his jokes just absolutely bombed. No one got it. So he casually walked to his stand and pulled a cue card out from behind it that said "Please laugh anyway." People appreciated the self deprication and applauded him for it. I thought the gag was hilarious and really clever.

RS.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of great advice in this thread so I thought I would share my piece. A lot of people don't know when to applaud in a magic show. When creating a show you need to give clues and pauses for applause. Along with the other great advice, about sending energy to your audience, you have to give time for you audience to give their applause. Give it a few beats. I have seen some performers make the applause gesture but then move on to fast and don't let the audience really finish their applause. You also have to be careful not to pause to long. So my advice is use gestures and make pauses and give time for you audience to respond to your effects that way they will learn how to show their appricatation towards a magic performance.

Sep 1, 2007
Dee hit the nail on the head. A steady blend of character, showmanship and audience management should make it feel natural for the audience to respond with the animation you're looking for. It's the type of lesson you can read about and study, but youi'll only fully understand and appreciate it with more hands-on experience. Change your act up; use a different character; alter your patter; etc. Make note of such changes and see what works for you first-hand.

If you're the comedic type, you could always make use of those awkward lulls and make gags out of them. I once saw a stand-up comic do a street show and one of his jokes just absolutely bombed. No one got it. So he casually walked to his stand and pulled a cue card out from behind it that said "Please laugh anyway." People appreciated the self deprication and applauded him for it. I though the gag was hilarious and really clever.

RS.

Why the hell do you have to post like that? kills my eyes.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results