Talent Show

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
Hey everybody. Ok so I was just informed today that my school was having a talent show this december. Since I am not experienced with stage magic, I need your help. Can you guys help me get an idea of what I could do? Thanks guys!

Sep 1, 2007
Hey everybody. Ok so I was just informed today that my school was having a talent show this december. Since I am not experienced with stage magic, I need your help. Can you guys help me get an idea of what I could do? Thanks guys!

If you're trying to throw a stage show together in a month and a half, not saying it can't be done, I just don't see it going super well.

You would probably have to do all self-working tricks, which my look super gimmicky to your audience and create an uninteresting performance for you too.

~Beans

Nov 12, 2008
If you can, if you are experienced in more close up magic, try to get one of your friends tape you on stage and have a projector so that the rest of the audience can see what's going on. If this can't be done than I don't know what to say, having done stage magic myself... it is too much work to get an effect perfectly down with music and choreography and everything to get it good.

May 3, 2008
It's all about the spectator interaction and making something entertaining. That definitely expands the effect and makes it so that people know what's happening. Something I do is doing a simple card force, passing it off as a comedic mind reading sequence and it plays HUGE. It's not about the trick, it's the magician who presents the trick that makes it effective.

How big is the space? There are lots of close-up effects that can be used for a larger audience, as long as the room is small enough that they aren't way back. Focus on things that aren't card based, primarily, but Angle Zero and This 'n That both work well in a small-stage setting. Pressure is also a winner in those situations, and there are a lot of fun thread based tricks that you can do. HAIR and LIFE both come to mind.

For the love of wynns man. Do you know how impossible that question is to answer without knowing key important data like

* How long of stage time do you have?
* How big the stage is?
* How big the theater is?
* How many people will the theater seat?
* What their projected attendene is?
* Do they have sound, or expect you to provide your own?
* Do they have someone who can work with you for lighting and audio ques?

So forth and so on.

My best advice is pick three maybe four effects that are very visual, and adapt them for stage use. Use spectators when and where able.

Tossed out deck, and predictions work well. Ring boxs also play good. Comedy effects like bra from hankerchiefs are good gags, and lets not underestimate the power of a 10 foot pole produced from your fly.

Also, the amount of time you'll have to rehearse the routine in private and on the stage will play a big role too.

All the best to you.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
How big is the space? There are lots of close-up effects that can be used for a larger audience, as long as the room is small enough that they aren't way back. Focus on things that aren't card based, primarily, but Angle Zero and This 'n That both work well in a small-stage setting. Pressure is also a winner in those situations, and there are a lot of fun thread based tricks that you can do. HAIR and LIFE both come to mind.

Well those sound great. At first, I was thinking about doing a metamorphosis, but given the time frame, I don't know whether I would have enough time to get it ready. I may see if someone could film me onto a projector and do something like Thread. I've seen this done on a stage in a theater about the same size as this one. It looked like it went amazing. I would like to do the tossed out deck too. Hair is one of my favorites. Thank you!

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
For the love of wynns man. Do you know how impossible that question is to answer without knowing key important data like

* How long of stage time do you have?
* How big the stage is?
* How big the theater is?
* How many people will the theater seat?
* What their projected attendene is?
* Do they have sound, or expect you to provide your own?
* Do they have someone who can work with you for lighting and audio ques?

So forth and so on.

My best advice is pick three maybe four effects that are very visual, and adapt them for stage use. Use spectators when and where able.

Tossed out deck, and predictions work well. Ring boxs also play good. Comedy effects like bra from hankerchiefs are good gags, and lets not underestimate the power of a 10 foot pole produced from your fly.

Also, the amount of time you'll have to rehearse the routine in private and on the stage will play a big role too.

All the best to you.

Thank you very much. Your advice has got my imagination in motion.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV

It is a pretty big stage. There are seats about... 2 school buses length back from the stage to the back of the room. Thank you.

Jul 13, 2009
I liked all the suggestions draven made, but I assume you are used to cards? (i have to because I do not know you)

Just do what Mac King does, shove a magic trick full of entertaining presentation. I do believe someone has once said his entire act is closeup magic performormed on stage.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
I liked all the suggestions draven made, but I assume you are used to cards? (i have to because I do not know you)

Just do what Mac King does, shove a magic trick full of entertaining presentation. I do believe someone has once said his entire act is closeup magic performormed on stage.

yeah cards and coins are what im used to.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
As jtmorris stated. I think you're two best bets for this are to perform Tossed Out Deck, Fiber Optics Rope Routine, and then maybe 1 more non card effect.

Jul 13, 2009
Well see the only problem I see with that Rever, is that he has little time to learn the ropes (pun intended) of those effects. I am definitely all for that line up, but if he doesn't perform a tossed out deck, or fiber optic ropes moderately he has a lot to learn in a small amount of time. I am not talking about the methodology but blocking; working the entire stage making what you are doing look bigger then it really is. You get my jive?

I am not saying with a bit of dedication that he can't pull it off, just being cautious.

Now you do card and coin work, great! Now look at the effects you perform daily using those and figure out a way to make them bigger. I am not a coin guy, but I would say a simple misers dream may do well, then possibly move into the four coins to glass. The reason I would do it in that order is for this reason. You start with little, a can or small cup and you make the items that you need appear out of thin air. Also even if people do not actually see the coin, they can hear the coin as you drop it into the cup.

Once you have those objects might as well use them right? The coins to glass (bobo) is visual for the first few rows, but the audio carries farther so it plays even bigger. Once you demonstrated your abilities to transport objects through air continue it with angle zero. But instead of on stage do it across the audience interact with a person (Call him/her the receiver) give him something like a balled up napkin and call it "my safety net" or something along that path. then interact with the audience as you make your way over to the opposite end of the theatre. Get a second spectator the "sender" to select a card and then continue doing angle zero. (possibly add some flash paper or something like that.

Now that I think about it bring the "sender" on stage with you, makes it easier for everyone to see how clean the vanish is. Heck now that I think about it, get four or five actually. two people to hold your arms to prove your hands are isolated.

Do you dig what I am saying?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
a full force misers dream would be nice...if you have an ending for it. i mean...why and when do you logically stop pulling money from the air?

:)

Jul 13, 2009
When you realize you are stealing from a local bank. Matter can't be created or destroyed, you just have to figure out a way to TRANSPORT matter to you. Do you get my theme? or do I need to use public TRANSPORTATION.

(and no I am not talking to you fool, do I need to write a letter and TRANSPORT it to you personally? :p :) )

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
When you realize you are stealing from a local bank. Matter can't be created or destroyed, you just have to figure out a way to TRANSPORT matter to you. Do you get my theme? or do I need to use public TRANSPORTATION.

(and no I am not talking to you fool, do I need to write a letter and TRANSPORT it to you personally? :p :) )

you are ridiculous

and why would you stop, unless they found out you were stealing ;)
A good fun phone call in the middle of your act, followed by sirens and police running down the aisle, there's your exit cue.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results