To any willing cardists

Dec 24, 2009
I never perform any sort of real cardistry, or any type of flourishing similar to those by Dan and Dave or Daniel Madison.

However I pose a simple question which probably has been asked before but a bit differently.

How will this add to my routines in magic? What will make the routine seem more magical if I add cardistry into it?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I never perform any sort of real cardistry, or any type of flourishing similar to those by Dan and Dave or Daniel Madison.

However I pose a simple question which probably has been asked before but a bit differently.

How will this add to my routines in magic? What will make the routine seem more magical if I add cardistry into it?

Cardistry making card tricks more magical? It wont.
It will make it look more technical than anything else. It strips away its magic and all the thought is that you have fast hands. Killing the magic.

Now of course,its always nice to see that a magician has indeed handled cards before. A little fan or spring sparks a little fun in a spectators eyes. But wallowing in sybils and madonnas kills the magic.

Nov 8, 2009
in the podcast on an and dave's artist profile it says that they rarely use flourishes while they preform magic.............

Dec 24, 2009
I was hoping somebody would actually state that quote. This is for anybody that tries to mix in these fancy cuts with their magic.

I will use somebody famous as an example, Dynamo.

How does it help him in anyway??? It doesn't at all, I don't understand why people still try to mix it in. I decided for some people to answer the question in a less than obvious way.

Feb 28, 2008
Do I do it? No... I flourish more for fun and to add dexterity to my fingers. However, I think some magicians can incorporate flourishing into their routines and not have it hurt them. He may get a lot of hate on the net, but Brian Tudor has some flourishing within some of his routines, and it really suits his style. He's flashy and doesn't perform the way most magicians do - ie patter and humour.

I'm not saying everyone can do it, but if you have a style that combines flash and speed with your own brand of confidence, I think it works.

Oct 13, 2008
There's no hard and fast rule. Do what ever suits your character. Madison can incorporate flourishes into his magic (his 4 ace production), but then he's honest with the spectator that what he's doing is all sleight of hand.

If you're busking, just standing with a deck of cards in your hand won't get you very far, but if you're stood there flourishing you're going to attract attention, from there you can proceed with your magic routine.

In the case of Dynamo, he uses his flourish as a control. People like how he's doing the flourish or the robot dance he does with it and this makes them ignore the fact he's controlling their card to wherever he wants it. To this end, his flourish is misdirection, and it's a clever sort as instead of directing the gaze away from the deck like traditional misdirection, he doesnt care if they burn it. He's controlling the card right before their eyes and they're entertained by it.

It all depends on character. If you're trying to convince someone you have special powers, flourishing will just make it look like you actually just have way too much time on your hands, and may detract from your mysterious character. If you're honest and say you're using sleight of hand then proving you have fast fingers is nothing to be ashamed of. It doesn't mean your magic will be any less hard hitting.

Try both, see what suits you. I believe you can incorporate flourishes into tricks as long as you present them properly. David Blaine used Daryl's Hot Shot Cut as a trick and it worked fine. I've also used it in an ACR and people have liked it. I do think that things like flourishes and packet tricks can be a bit selfish if overdone though. You need to involve the spectator in your magic, not have them just stand there while you show off. So, everything in moderation and make your own rules.

Sep 6, 2009
I use flourishes when I want to imply that the magic happens because of my skill. In other words, I only use it in gambling demonstrations

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Do I do it? No... I flourish more for fun and to add dexterity to my fingers. However, I think some magicians can incorporate flourishing into their routines and not have it hurt them. He may get a lot of hate on the net, but Brian Tudor has some flourishing within some of his routines, and it really suits his style. He's flashy and doesn't perform the way most magicians do - ie patter and humour.

I'm not saying everyone can do it, but if you have a style that combines flash and speed with your own brand of confidence, I think it works.

Brian tudors card tricks arent seen as magic. But card tricks.
The OP was getting at that point. He is specifically speaking from a theatrical/magic standpoint not a technical one

Dec 24, 2009
There's no hard and fast rule. Do what ever suits your character. Madison can incorporate flourishes into his magic (his 4 ace production), but then he's honest with the spectator that what he's doing is all sleight of hand.

If you're busking, just standing with a deck of cards in your hand won't get you very far, but if you're stood there flourishing you're going to attract attention, from there you can proceed with your magic routine.

In the case of Dynamo, he uses his flourish as a control. People like how he's doing the flourish or the robot dance he does with it and this makes them ignore the fact he's controlling their card to wherever he wants it. To this end, his flourish is misdirection, and it's a clever sort as instead of directing the gaze away from the deck like traditional misdirection, he doesnt care if they burn it. He's controlling the card right before their eyes and they're entertained by it.

It all depends on character. If you're trying to convince someone you have special powers, flourishing will just make it look like you actually just have way too much time on your hands, and may detract from your mysterious character. If you're honest and say you're using sleight of hand then proving you have fast fingers is nothing to be ashamed of. It doesn't mean your magic will be any less hard hitting.

Try both, see what suits you. I believe you can incorporate flourishes into tricks as long as you present them properly. David Blaine used Daryl's Hot Shot Cut as a trick and it worked fine. I've also used it in an ACR and people have liked it. I do think that things like flourishes and packet tricks can be a bit selfish if overdone though. You need to involve the spectator in your magic, not have them just stand there while you show off. So, everything in moderation and make your own rules.

I will in no way add flourishing, it was just simply a question for other people to read and think about it.

Now the reason I added Dynamo instead of Daniel Madison is because they are different in presentation. Dynamo as far as I know doesn't say it's all sleight of hand, and I hate this presentation to be honest. Dynamo presents his stuff as the real deal, yet what does he do, he shows off his skills with fancy but useless card spinning.

I know of and have seen kids personally use it and yes people love to watch it, but it is no longer magic. It is like Madison says, it's just sleight of hand no longer magic.

Also little spots of skill like the little hot shot cut is perfectly fine, you are expected to do something a bit fancy like this. It adds flare, some pizazz not some sleight of hand nonsense like flourishing (nonsense as in useless in making magic.)

When I busked for roughly two months I used one card effect with jumbo cards. When I actually did busk I used classic cups and balls, and a rope routine that lasted 10 to 15 minutes, sometimes more if they were thoroughly enjoying it.

You think that if Copperfield did some card effects in a close up environment he would ever flourish? Know why? He does real "magic."

Nov 8, 2009
It think cardistry(flourishes) is a different art from magic...
but very few people stay strictly to flourishing.........in my experience......

Ive had people go, "thats cool, can you show me a trick?"
im sure im not the only one.

i think as long as they are intertwined as they are, they should remain part of the same art, but still a very different aspect of that art.......

but thats my opinion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results