My First Gig

Jul 26, 2008
I posted a thread a few days ago by this same title asking for a little advice for my first gig, which was yesterday. I got a lot of great advice, and took a lot of it to heart. yesterday I did my gig, a five hour mix of strolling and table work from 9 P.M. to 2 A.M., and it went off without a hitch. The restaurant I was working in was at capacity (112 people) all night long, and I was constantly performing. I only had a few mistakes, but I had planned for them, and had outs, so the spectators didn't even know I messed up. It was overall a wonderful night. A lot of people took down my number and email address (I don't have business cards sadly.) and said they may look me up for some future work. I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice, and give a little recap on the gig you helped me with. If anyone wants to know anything else about the gig just ask.

Sep 3, 2007
I know you are going to throw a fit about it, but I don't believe you. You spent all day performing? Where?

Jul 26, 2008
It was five hours, from 9 P.M. till 2 A.M. for a new years eve party at a local restaurant, as gambit said. It wasn't quite five hours though, I guess it was really closer to four hours, as I took a break while a band they hired played, and when they did a champagne toast for new years. I hope that clears up any misunderstandings in how long, or what times I performed. It most certainly wasn't all day, I couldn't handle that. From just the four or so hours I performed yesterday my throat is soar from talking so much, and my feet are killing me from standing for that amount of time.

Sep 3, 2007
It was five hours, from 9 P.M. till 2 A.M. for a new years eve party at a local restaurant, as gambit said. It wasn't quite five hours though, I guess it was really closer to four hours, as I took a break while a band they hired played, and when they did a champagne toast for new years. I hope that clears up any misunderstandings in how long, or what times I performed. It most certainly wasn't all day, I couldn't handle that. From just the four or so hours I performed yesterday my throat is soar from talking so much, and my feet are killing me from standing for that amount of time.

Where did you perform? Just curious, because I'm looking for a job. If you really did give that performance you wouldn't feel uncomfortable to just say the Town it was in. Or the country at least.

Jul 26, 2008
I performed at a local restaurant called Bonnie and Clydes in Ocala Florida. They are closing down for a while to change owners soon, and the new years eve party was sort of their going away party to end the business with. The company paid 200 dollars for me to perform (My first gig, I didn't, and still don't, have any idea as to how much magicians are normally paid for something like this.) It was what the owners offered, and I took it, plus I made tips, and after 2 or so hours of drinking that some of the patrons divulged in, they tipped well.

I opened my performance with a one coin routine, just a few basic vanished and appearances of a coin that led into a coin to card box. I used that to go into cards, and did either a simple sandwich routine, or my acr. I closed my acr with pixel by David Jade, and closed my sandwich routine with what I only know as the David Blaine switch (A card is selected and placed between the spectators hands, you select a card, and they switch places. If anyone knows the actual name of the effect it'd be a nice thing to know XD) I went from table to table like that, and occasionally people would ask me to come back and do something else, and I generally just performed a few random things, whatever came to mind really.

My dad was my ticket to the job, he is kitchen manager at the restaurant I performed in, and recommended me to the owners. They gave em a chance, I came in and performed a few things, and they loved it.

I really enjoyed the night, and if anyone wants to know anything else just ask.

Jun 1, 2009
Congrats man! Glad it went well, good job on getting your name out there for more gigs, it seemed like you had a lot of fun. I'm not sure on the amount of pay either, I'm just starting to branch out into the buisness world :p, but 200 seemed pretty good.
Good job dude, hope you get more buisness.

Your boy,
Fez

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results