carbon paper help

ive been working on carbon paper by wayne houchin and i got all the moves down presentation and patter but the only thing stopping me from preforming this trick it how do i keep the cards from warping when blackening the back? ive messed around with distance of the lighter and size of the flame but as soon as the card starts to blacken it starts to warp. any help would be appreciated

Jun 1, 2009
Try and put the mark in the center, and keep it at the tip of the flame. Since the tip is the hottest part, it will blacken faster and hopefully not warp as much. I burn the card while its still on the deck, so I apply pressure to it to keep it from warping.
You can always put in the middle of the deck, back in the box, and a card clamp to go over it if its still warped pretty badly.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Put the warped cards in the middle of, or underneath, a thick book and let it sit for 24 hours, should help flatten them.

Encyclopedias are worth having around! Who knew?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I thought carbon paper was Jay Sankey's?

You should check out Drawing Room Deceptions by Guy Hollingworth. There's a similar but fantastic routine using this idea in there.

edit: Found it: http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48353
Is that the same one you are speaking of?

If it is more like Guy's routine, I prepare a bunch of cards beforehand and put them into a dictionary for a night. Works perfectly. Then I keep them in a wallet and take them out as I need them.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
So you've messed around with distance and flame, but have you tried not holding it as long on the flame?

The way I do it, is I take off two cards and barely pass it over the tip of the flame 2-3 times... like passing your finger through it (but on top).

For me this sufficiently marks the card and no warps.

yea its the same one buts waynes handling is a little better cuz he gives the spectator a choice and has the card signed plus when he burns the card he does it away from the deck. putting the card under a book is a good idea for the first card but i cant stop during a performance and tell them hey let me put this card under a book for a night and we'll continue tommorow. fezzik i tried what u said and im still getting warping but now there almost passably as straight

Jun 1, 2009
putting the card under a book is a good idea for the first card but i cant stop during a performance and tell them hey let me put this card under a book for a night and we'll continue tommorow. fezzik i tried what u said and im still getting warping but now there almost passably as straight

Well then keep playing around with it. After I burn the card and start to wave it over their hand, I put the deck away. Afterwards I cut the deck to get the potentially warped card in the middle, put them back in the box, and place it in my back pocket, there is more pressure there (unless I'm wearing some tighter jeans, then it goes up front.) so the card gets flattened pretty quickly and doesn't warp.
Currently I really don't have a warping problem and I perform this all the time.

Livingston had a nice idea, play around with that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results