A step back into the classics

Sep 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
What is the most used trick in card magic?
What is the most classic trick in card magic?
What is the oldest trick in card magic?

The first two questions are more opinion based, but I think we can all agree that there is one answer to all three questions. The Ambitious Card Routine. (Don't quote me on the fact that it is the oldest trick in card magic, I may be wrong).

Here is one of the ways I perform this classic effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgyWhGt_Dww

It wasn't shot attempting to look professional. It wasn't edited, no music was added, there are no spectators, and there is no talking. You can hear some background noise. It was just shot to show the routine for the sake of the routine.

I hope you enjoy it, and get some ideas for your own Ambitious Card Routines.
Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the routine, how I can improve on it.
Thank you for your time :)

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The ACR is nowhere near the oldest trick in card magic. If anything it is quiet recent in the big picture of the huge world of card magic.

I have posted many time my thoughts on the ACR. For the most part I believe the ACR is usually the worst constructred effect that people do. For the most part the plot goes nowhere when it really should be progressivly more impressive. Unfortunately most of the time it really gets less impossible.

A rule of comedy is that it is startling the first time, if you repeat a similar joke and it still gets a laugh it is a good joke. However, after three times it usually gets all and this is especially true of this effect as for the most the effect is repetitave.

Sep 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I have posted many time my thoughts on the ACR. For the most part I believe the ACR is usually the worst constructred effect that people do. For the most part the plot goes nowhere when it really should be progressivly more impressive. Unfortunately most of the time it really gets less impossible.

A rule of comedy is that it is startling the first time, if you repeat a similar joke and it still gets a laugh it is a good joke. However, after three times it usually gets all and this is especially true of this effect as for the most the effect is repetitave.[/QUOTE]

I think thats wrong. I don't think you should just build your magic and go up and up and up and up. That does not usually work well. I know this is magic theory, and real knowledge comes from the real world, but theory does have it's place, so I'll theorize for a second.
Magic is best built like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJJidnWFpLI
James starts off with something really simple thats not magic, that can be just a story or an introduction. That is building a rapport with his audience. Then, he does some EXTREMELY powerful magic, with the man's watch, and stuff that doesn't happen around them, it happens TO them. Then, he brings the power down, and does some simple things with cards. And he constantly goes down and down and down, and then, as he nears the end, he starts building. Not effect, but suspense. There is a major difference. Then, the suspense is let down for a second, and he ends with the card under the watch, ending with a major bang.
So the basic construction of a routine is like this: Start off with a simple introduction, then do something amazing. Then, bring it down slowly, start building a little bit, and then end with a bang.
If you just build and build and build bit by bit, then there is no major surprise at the end. And that major surprise is what gets you your standing ovation. Think of it like this. If you do a change of a card where the card changes slowly, (Lets assume in thirds) and you go through the entire card slowly, it will be impressive, you will get some applause, but imagine if you changed the card half way, and then BAM, you change the entire card, that will get you a standing ovation.
I didn't word my thoughts so well, but I do hope you get the jist of what I am trying to say.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
If your ACR lasted ~8 minutes, then feel free to construct it how James Brown constructs his multiphase, multi-prop, multi-spectator routine.

I have to agree with the D man here.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Personally, I think the ACR should have maybe 3 or 4 phases. That way is a beginning, a Middle and an end and it doesn't end up boring people. You can make the last phase do whatever you want and it will still feel like it as a decent level of progression and still be enjoyable.

8 min for an ACR is just WAAAAY over doing and by that time, people aren't really enjoying it and are just standing there cutting you some slack and are usually bored out of their minds.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I agree with you about James Brown's routine.

However as I was reading your points it is obvious your ACR does not marry up to James' structure.

The whole second half of the routine is very much too the audience no with them .

Feb 4, 2008
I shudder to post this...But what the heck I gotta a thick skin. http://vimeo.com/19880384
Skip ahead to about 4 minutes in. That should get you past all the deck review thoughts and into the ACR. Anyways I'm posting it for one reason. This ACR existed for the same reason that I think you have a "useful" Acr....as practice. That's right. The ACR you have constructed seems to display a few difficult moves and I am a firm believer that the best way to really learn difficult moves is to string them together in a practice ACR. What is different about this routine is that it is not, nor did I ever intend it to be, a performance ACR.

Now I wound up really liking the core elements of this ACR so I have put LOTS of work in this one since I shot it. The vast majority of that effort went towards focusing on the specific phases that were the most direct for my plot, perfecting those moves, and nixing the rest. Basically what I have now is a 4 phase ACR with a build to each phase. About exactly what Randy mentioned.

What you say is correct. Start off strong, ease back a bit, and then build back up. But that structure is intended for a full performance not a multi-phase effect. When it comes to multi-phase effects you should stick to the rule of three. Build, build, and climax.

I've been lazy with my videos lately but I'll try to post a video of my redesigned ACR so you can contrast the two.

Feb 4, 2008
Okay here is my new ACR. I have just started performing it live and it has been getting really good reactions, probably the best of any of my ACRs so far. The first three minutes is the card review so zip ahead to there for just the ACR. http://vimeo.com/26526436

BTW: I too would love to hear any suggestions for improvement. Either moves, patter, or structure.
Cheers.

May 21, 2011
Now I know most of the people on the forums don't actually perform for real people, but you guys are missing the point. The ACR isn't just for practice, its a f*cking awesome trick and laymen love it. Aren't we as magicians supposed to impress laymen?

Feb 4, 2008
Now I know most of the people on the forums don't actually perform for real people, but you guys are missing the point. The ACR isn't just for practice, its a f*cking awesome trick and laymen love it. Aren't we as magicians supposed to impress laymen?
I'm not missing the point. You missed mine. One ACR was designed for practice. If you watch it you will likely get bored. The other one I took the elements I liked from the first, trimmed it down, to make it a performance ACR. Two different ACRs for two different reasons. The one I am performing right now is getting good reactions and is becoming a "go to" effect for me. If you don't like the first one I posted I would probably just say, "I understand why," if you don't like the second then, "I want to know why," because that is the one I want to keep working until it is perfect. It's good for laymen right now but I am always open to suggestion. If I get a chance for a live shoot I'll do that.

Sep 17, 2007
For what it's worth, here are my thoughts. ACR works best when each phase happens under a different condition than the last. When I do my first phase of ACR, 8 times out of 10, the spectators say, "Do it again." I do. But I use a completely different method the second time, third time and fourth time. it's challenge magic. But in a good way. Like 3 card monte. If you use different methods for each phase and change up the way it happens each time, audiences will NEVER get bored.

The only people who think lay people get bored with ACR are magicians who don't perform ACR. There's a reason why it's one of the most popular tricks in card magic. Because it's entertaining and very interesting. They never get bored with it because the card keeps coming up to the top in impossible ways.

The routine can be as long or short as you want. Mine is four phases. And it kills. Never fails to get an awesome reaction.

Read Darwin Ortiz's "Designing Miracles". He explains why ACR works much better than I do. I think he's spot on (he's really spot on with the entire book. Great read).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results