Thumb tips

Jun 1, 2009
Dang, you must have massive hands then. It's mainly because the silks take up a lot of space so the tip doesn't fit very well once they are all loaded. I guess I'll just buy a few and see what works, they are fairly cheap

Found this:http://www.penguinmagic.com/thumbtips.php
Might help a bit

Aug 13, 2009
I went to a convention once and watched someone proceed to do a routine that everyone in the crowd instantaneously knew was a TT routine. We all looked at him as if to say "so what?" (the routine had been more or less run of the mill.) He then showed us his TT. It was painted rainbow, in stripes, the whole way up. My point in telling this story is - if it doesn't match your thumb exactly or if it seems to look extremely obvious, I think you'll be okay ;)

However, if the TT is to big or too small to fit your finger that might be a problem. If it doesn't fit your finger, you might have to go to a magic shop and try on a couple and see which size you prefer. Generally regular (vernet manufactured) works best for most people (that I have met) and if you can't find a brick and mortar magic dealership near you, it'll be a swing and miss until you get it right. I personally prefer Vernet regular sized.

Hope this helped!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The book switch as a lot of good advice on how to act and move when using a tt, the key here is to act like its not there and treat it like you real thumb. Also use a bit misdirection as well.

Aug 28, 2010
just visit your local magic dealer and Im sure they would be more than happy to let you try out each size to see which one fits best! vernet all the way!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Your best bet is to go to a brick and mortar shop or attend a convention and one of the dealers will normally have a bin of about 50 or so and you can see what "shade" looks good and what fits properly. Purchasing on line is a tough one to do.

Also keep in mind the TT is not supposed to fit down snug on your thumb, all the way down...it is a Thumb Tip worn on the top half of the thumb.

Another option is to take and exacto knife and put a tiny slit on each side of the base of the plastic. My mentor does this and it works perfect.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Long ago there was a running competition at the Magic Castle, to see who could get away with the boldest TT... one guy nested about six of them on his thumb and no one noticed; another had a bright glowing orange tip no one noticed and even a chrome plated and highly polished tip and again, NO ONE SAW THEM.

WHY?

Because they learned how to work with the gimmick in a way that was NATURAL and had proper misdirection in place.

Ted Lesley had a "Think a Drink" routine that actually used a TT... a very large (it held a full shot of booze) hard-plastic thumb and yet, when I worked the routine the way Ted taught it, I was never found out. . . and to my knowledge this goes for all that learned to work with the gimmick in the proper manner. . . I should add that this same TT has been used by a couple of well known Vegas performers, for producing fish in a glass of water. . .

Most people fail with a TT or similar devices because they are self-conscious and fearful that they will be found out. Magic is filled with such phobias such as billet work and even a good number of coin & card moves; we simply fear being caught-out and/or failing, which ultimately translates to our being "second rate" compared to what we could be if we but sucked it up and went balls to the wall when it comes to confidence and, as the Nike commercials say, JUST DO IT!

Don't worry about how well the TT matches your flesh tone or any of that other over-thinking that goes on early in the game. Learn how to work the gimmick properly and you'll be fine. . .
. . . after all, it's one of the oldest gimmicks in the biz (suspected to be more than 2,000 years old)​

Jun 1, 2009
Thanks for all the help guys! I don't have any magic dealers near me, so trying them on personally is a bit of a problem, but with all the stories about the rainbow and shiny ones, I think I'll make work what I have. Thanks again!

Jacob

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results