The Journey of Cardistry

Feb 20, 2011
Hi,

I recently read something about the beginnings of Rap. This made me think about Cardistry.
I think that there are similarities between those two.
What my point is, that cardistry is still a young art or hobby, whatever you wanna call it, but it evolves.
There is a community, there are "idols", there is a audience that wants to see the stuff.

So what I want to know is do you think that our passion is going to grow like rap or just is going to stay a niche nerd kind of thing.

Personally I don't think that cardistry is just something that you can keep watching without doing yourself and it would be too optimistic to hope for cardistry to be the hang out occupation instead of video games, tv or lets say basketball but it can certainly gain some good ground.

Mouseff

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Definitely a cool topic to discuss, interesting to hear people's thoughts on the subject but then only time will tell. It depends how far cardists will push themselves to gain new ground. It's hard to come to terms with myself but probably true that it won't be next hang out occupation like basketball or video games.

As for now, it will continue growing, slowly but surely. We will see it appear more on TV and invade countries all over the world as more and more get exposed to it through the internet and other mediums. Cardistry will be used for promotional material, advertising, etc. As it grows and acquires a larger (hopefully older) audience, we may see it making it's mark in show business. Cadistry has some real potential to be used for therapy or perhaps taught to arthritis patients in hopes of improving hand stability and health. It all comes down to us, the people who do this art right now - sticking with it for decades. Young people push the technical aspect of this art forward and ultimately keep it alive. The older guys have more resources to accomplish things like putting the art out there (show business, commercials, etc). This is not because a lack of talent from the younger crowd but rather, a lack of the right attitude and resources. It all starts here.

Who knows, maybe it will become the next cool thing to do - for us nerd types. =)

Jul 30, 2011
I know from just sitting around whenever im with my friends working on new flourishes that a few of them have picked up the art and have started to play around with it.

Some of my friends though tried a scissor cut and because they couldn't get it on their first try they threw my cards on the ground as a joke yelling, "52 pick up!"

I hope that it catches on sometime soon and starts to expand into mainstream media. Cardistry definitely has a strong enough and passionate enough community to help along many new comers if this did happen.

Sep 10, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
Cardistry IMO, is what a cross-over or a spin move is to basketball. I find it very interesting and quite essential to the magic community. Not only does it show an individual's dexterity with a deck of cards but it also opens doors for creativity and development. Though it may be a complex art, it is unique in its own way, same goes for any kind of art-form out there. Cardistry is still a toddler at this point in time but our society is slowly become aware of it and it is growing at a huge rate thanks to the pioneers and the young guns in our community. :)

I say kudos to those who keep Cardistry going strong. Keep at it and stay CARDICAL (I know it sounds lame.) :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results